All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to your group
      #303826 - 04/02/07 07:10 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Hi, I'm new to your group and wish that is was me that had the IBS instead of my daughter who is special and has down syndrome. She has been suffering from stomach pain for about 3years now. We first started with a Hysterectomy and everything went well. After that we started with upper stomach pain and back pain, after Cat Scan, Upper GI which we found a Hiatal Hernia. Then Ultra Sound because still having pain and now we're spotting sometimes, which they indicated it was a collapsed cyst. When we spotted again they did another ultra sound and found a Gallstone. Removed that, but now having pain in the stomach were the belly button is. Took her off the prevaciad because it didn't seem to help and she was still in pain. Was admitted in the hospital because of fever and pain. Did cat scan, xray, blood test & upper GI again. Said she probably had a several urine tract infection? Still in pain and I mean everyday some days worse than others. Checked Small Intestines and Large intestines, did ultra sound abdominal, still nothing. Than come to fine out they didn't remove the cervic stump when she had the hysterectomy in 2003 it's now 2006, so since she was still having stomach pain they dicided to do emploratory laparotomy trachelectomy to remove the cervic stump, because they thought that may be causing the problem and they could also check for anything else. During surgery they removed the cervic stump, appendix, because it had something on it which turned out to be scar tissue, removed old scar tissue, thing that might be the problem also, removed the right ovary because it had a cyst, but when they cut it off it would not stop bleeding and removed the right faliopian tube. Concidering My Daughter did well after surgery, did have fever the day we were to come home so she stayed and they did 2 chest xray. Finally when home a day later. Two weeks after surgery and of couse you guess it still in pain and you would think it was from the surgery but for some reason I didn't think so because she tolerates pain really well. As none of the paid medicine was working. Anyway 2 weeks after surgery she was bloated like she was 4 mts. pregnant, which she never had before also C and still in pain. Dr. laugh and ask her what had she been eating. 4 months after surgery was sent back to GI did another xray of stomach didn't see anything, 2 weeks later did another upper GI, nothing. Month later because of her insurance changing saw new GI Dr. and I ask if he would test her for Celiac Disease, which came out border line. Did another blood test for Celiac Disease 2 weeks ago, but having heard from the Dr yet. I did ask him about IBS because I had found your internet about the second week of Feb. and been reading every chance I get and every time I stated to try something thinking it was the right thing I would read a little more and found out something else. Anyway the Dr. indicated that it wouldn't hurt trying the diet but said that there were no known facts and research to back it up. And they have never indicated that my daughter has IBS, but yet they can't find out what's wrong with her and I have to admit it's not easy because you can't get the right answers from her all the time, and she be just find in the doctors office but will complain to me every morning, day or night that her stomach hurts. Right now all I have her is Tylenol tablets which sometimes help. At one time or another she has been on Protonix, skelaxin, etocolac, Hydroco, Hyoscyamine & Antibiotic, but now I have taking her off of every medicine because she was still in pain except Tylenol and Tums. I think the Drs thought I was making up all her pain. Also since she goes to the bathroom by her self it hard for me sometime to know if she had a bowel movement or not. Anyway started on March 5 with Benifiber powder and caplet 2 time a day and it seem like she wasn't complaining as much. Than when I purchased the Acacia and Funnel tea which I received the following week things still seemed ok. but these past 2 week she's staring to complain again and I can't figure out what's causing it. I sent her breakfast, lunch and snack to babysitter and to school that she goes to 2 times a week and try to watch everything she eats, but I'm not sure if it's the acacia and thinking of going back to the benifiber. I do know that she's not drinking enough water because that really has been hard for her she loved sodas and now it's water and teas, which she's not to happy about. I've been thinking about ordering the peppermint gel caps but worried about the Hiatal hernia which she has is small, but not sure how or if it will help her. I have 100+ questions I need to ask, but I also need to read more and I'm trying to work on her IBS diet which has been hard because I can't even put myself on a diet, now I'm having to work on one for her, and of course I'm been stress for 3 years and the weight shows, but I have always tried to watch her weight and have done good for her because I know she can gain it so easy. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not posting right, I've never have been on a message board before it's just that I think that maybe y'all can help me with my daughter because no Drs. can and I know my daughter is stressed too because she's mad that I can't find out whats wrong with her and can't help her when she hurting. she always wants to go to the hospital when she hurts, because that's the only time she feels good and I think the reason is because they put her on antibiotic and that helps for some reason. Thank you for listening it helps me take some weight off my shoulder. By the way my daughter is 24 and I'm 59. One question I have how is I'm afraid I'm not giving her enough ISF which she needs and giving her too many SF. We went to the Dr today and all she did was give her Lactulose l0GM/15 ML Soluthit to make sure she is going. But I not sure if I going to give her that yet, because I think she going but little at a time it just I haven't been able to catch her and I can't really be sure of her answer when I ask her. She is a little bloated now but not like before. I do work and am always doing for her so sometime it takes me a while to get on the computer. Also her last surgery was May 2006. Also I wish there was something else for her to dring besides herbal tea and water? I'm really trying to work on the receipes which seem great but sometimes there's not enought time in the day.
Please Help
A Angle in Pain

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to your group new
      #303832 - 04/02/07 08:00 PM
time

Reged: 01/20/07

First off, you are remarkable for your support and intense focuse on the reality of your situation. Pleast know that you are doing everything humanly possible and she is in very very good hands.
The IBS is a good one to follow especially if she is bloating and having pains. However, continue with the labs and contacting your doctor, but continue with the IBS diet. Her body is more than likely overstressed, and because of it, IBS could be now affecting her. Do not worry about the weight, because it comes and it goes and just so long as you follow the diet and make time for it, health will make time for you both.
Keep me updated and I will help.
Time

Re: New to your group new
      #303868 - 04/03/07 09:31 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Good gracious, AIP, you and your dear daughter have a lot going on. One thing that stuck out in your description is your brief mention of fever. I know that based on what you wrote, the fever could have been caused by any number of things - but fever is not a characteristic symptom of IBS.

IBS is a diagnosis usually arrived at by eliminating all the other reasonably possible causes for the symptoms. This link will take you to Heather's list of conditions that need to be eliminated and some typical tests that need to be performed in order to get a valid IBS diagnosis.

Hope this helps, and I also hope the docs can figure out how to help your daughter soon.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6013 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 518

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review