All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie question: Are there diet logs posted?
      #303693 - 03/31/07 08:00 PM
KonosMom

Reged: 03/19/07

Hi --
I'm very new to this group & am 1 week into Heather's IBS diet. I've read "Eating for IBS" (which is wonderful) & have hunted around on this list a bit. I have IBS-D (with pain & bloating) -- I've had all of the GI tests done & they were normal.

Here's my first newbie question: Are there "diet logs" posted on this list anywhere?

I've have looked at Heather's sample menu for a week at the end of her book. I'm struggling now with knowing what quantities of food to eat -- I'm SO hungry that it's hard to eat tiny amounts at each meal - even if I am eating 6x/day. I'd love to see a few diet logs of some of the folks here -- complete with how much you eat. It's hard to know how to ease in the insoluble fiber (i.e. For breakfast today, I had about 3/4 cup of Heather's Lemon Rice Pudding. I thought I'd try to add in some grapes & ended up having about 1/2 cup of them, but would love to see some real examples of what works for others. I had lost weight because of IBS symptoms, but am now stable at 5'6" 125lbs. After a week on the IBS diet, I'm realizing that I need to add in more insoluble fiber -- instead of having D 4-11 times a day, I'm now a little C! So, I've read your FAQs carefully - and today added MUCH more water to my diet & some exercise.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie question: Are there diet logs posted? new
      #303709 - 04/01/07 01:43 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you take a look at the IBS Fitness Board you can see what people are eating. That Board is fairly quiet now but if you go back a while you'll find period where lots of people were posting.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#303830 - 04/02/07 07:39 PM
KonosMom

Thanks Sand! I looked at a bunch of posts on the fitness part of the site today. I was amazed at how few calories many of those folks take in each day & how many of them had hardly any fruits/veggies! My past way of eating (which I thought was really healthy, but made my IBS flare) involved almost exclusively whole grains/fruits/veggies. I'm learning (with Heather's & this group's help)how to change my diet so I can really be healthy. I'd love to see what those of you with IBS-D eat in a typical day - especially if you've found a way to add in insoluble fiber & still stay stable. Thanks so much!!

It's a sample, but definitely not completely representative... new
      #303838 - 04/02/07 09:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You'll find that a lot of people eat a lot of soluble fiber foods, but not all of us eat like that. I, for one, eat mostly INsoluble foods - lots of veggies, lots of raw food. It's prompted people to tease me in the past that maybe I really don't have IBS, but it's really indicative of one of the basic truths of IBS: everyone's body is different.

The general rule is to add insoluble fiber foods in, preferably one at a time, slowly - meaning, small amounts at first. Gradually you should increase insolubles to as much of them as you can tolerate. For me, that's meant A LOT... for some people, it's not much at all. Unfortunately, the only way to get there is to experiment on your own.

I'll try to find the most recent post about what I eat, so I don't have to type that all out again.

Aha! Found it! new
      #303839 - 04/02/07 09:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Here's the entire discussion thread.

Here's what I am/was eating - basically the same now, except that I'm on a total Grape Nuts kick, so that's what I've been eating for breakfast. As you can see, I eat a LOT of IF. I definitely would not recommend jumping into a diet like that, but just so you see that it really is possible - and I categorize myself as an A, but I'm D-predominant, and have been most of my life.

#303856 - 04/03/07 07:30 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I looked at a bunch of posts on the fitness part of the site today. I was amazed at how few calories many of those folks take in each day

I know - it amazed me, too.

If you go back to the IBS Fitness Board from around November 23 until around Christmas I was posting what I ate (right now those posts start on page 18). I can assure you you won't be amazed by how *few* calories I take in.

I find I tolerate IF better later in the day so I stick with mostly SF for breakfast. I usually get some IF with lunch - a little lettuce on my sandwich some days, veggie soup other days. I do well with veggie-type IF at dinner - I can tolerate salads which a lot of IBSers can't do. I haven't found a way to add in whole grains although that's my next project. I'm toying with ideas like fruit breads with some oatmeal in them and a mixture of white and wild rice at dinner.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Aha! Found it! new
      #303906 - 04/03/07 06:46 PM
KonosMom

Thanks so much for this link!!!!! I think I'm going to print this up & read it all again. It helps to see what works for others & gives me ideas of what I can try. Today, I experimented with eating all day long. I had Heather's rice pudding at work for breakfast & ate it so slowly that I was just finishing my cupful at lunchtime. I didn't feel as hungry & felt more stable spreading it out that way. So, maybe grazing like that will help me. I've got a LOT more experimenting to do, & you all have helped to give me more ideas. Thanks so much for the encouragement & pointing me to this link. I'd love to read any additions to this thread from others who have stabilized.

#303908 - 04/03/07 07:02 PM
KonosMom

Thanks Sand! Hmmmm. . . IF may be better tolerated later in the day. That makes a lot of sense to me -- before I started the IBS diet, my IBS-D was always the worst before noon. For some reason, I'd start feeling more stable around noontime. Since I'm so new to this, I think that I'll try & add my experimental IF at dinner first. Thanks for pointing me to your diet logs -- it helps so much to see what works for other folks.

Casey new
      #303909 - 04/03/07 07:02 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Have you tried the Grape Nuts Trail Mix yet? It's yummy. I put it in my soy yogurt.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review