All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
xifaxan -- trouble AFTER taking
      #303350 - 03/28/07 06:04 AM
elli

Reged: 01/03/07

I finished the 10-day trial of Xifaxan four days ago. I have been having extreme constipation, with frequent but tiny movements multiple times a day (sometimes per hour). I have tried eating high SF and IF, and neither are alleviating the problem. There is a lot of trapped gas and bloating. I have never been IBS-C, always D.

Has anyone experienced this? Shouldn't the antibiotics be out of my system by now? Suggestions? Help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: xifaxan -- trouble AFTER taking new
      #303357 - 03/28/07 08:04 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Have you tried using a probiotic - especially since you were on antibiotics - BIO K is a good one and it comes in soy instead of dairy based. Make sure to drink lots and lots of water - fennel tea - peppermint tea if you are okay with no acid reflux or ulcer. I would keep a good SF based diet and add in safe safe IF fibre - maybe steamed zuchhinni with skin on, brown rice mixed with white, brown rice cream cereal with some small hemp seeds, things that you know you are safe with. I hope that this helps! Let me know how you are doing,Debbie IBS_C Don't forget the great hot pack placed on your abdomen to help releive discomfort and a hot bath!

#312430 - 08/01/07 11:15 PM

Unregistered

I just read your post and am not sure you are still on here. I am having the same problem and August 10th will be a year. My friend who took it shortly after me is having the same thing as you described. I'm at a loss of what to do. I have tried Probodics, everything suggested on this board and all I end up with is trapped gas, bloat and doogie balls. I'm so miserable and scared. I wish I never took the drug. If anyone else is having this problem can you post too. At least we see we aren't alone and I am in contact with the doctor who is promoting this drug for IBS and trying to show him how it turns into what seems like perm. IBS-C. Thanks for your post and maybe by now you are okay? I hope so!

#312512 - 08/03/07 09:59 AM
rlb

Reged: 07/29/07

i had the same experience while on xifaxan, and after the 10-day i started taking calcium/magnesium and i think it helped. i am also considering starting a probiotic. i'm also taking the acacia- but i can't tell if it's working at all...i think it could be contributing to the C? not sure yet... but try the calcium/magnesium!

#312522 - 08/03/07 10:32 AM
yowwza

Reged: 06/27/07

I've just finished a 10 course o'same...but I saw it as step one of a two part treatment. Because now you have to replace the bacteria in your gut, which have mostly been killed off. Any change at all to the chemistry of the gut is a shock to your digestive system.

The xifaxan left me bloat free for the first several days, but full of gas and liquid at the end. I'm IBS-C.

I started BioK + during the last two days of the antibiotics, and gave myself 2 weeks on it. I have had a lot of gas and bloating, but no pain, unlike before. I realize that this is due to the changes going on in my gut, and though it is REALLY frustrating to be bloated once more, I have been told over and over again that it will take weeks and months to settle down.

I am trying to eat lightly, and have cut out fiber for now, which has really helped. For the C I take Miralax at night, and I like the stuff because it is not a stimulant, but acts more like a stool softener.

Hang in there

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1947 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review