All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal helps or worsens diarrhea?!?!
      #303005 - 03/23/07 09:40 PM
arctic masticator

Reged: 09/14/06
Loc: Alaska/Cali

So I've read a lot of old posts where both IBS-D and C consistently eat oatmeal for breakfast and consider it a very safe food, and I realize that it is also explained to be safe in Heather's IBS book. However, I have always felt that it makes my IBS-D symptoms worse, but I'm not sure if it really is the oatmeal or something else I ate before the oatmeal. It could be because I eat too much at once, since I typically eat an equivalent of 2 packets or more of instant oatmeal at one sitting. Also, all you IBS-D oatmeal fans, do you respond differently to instant versions and old-fashioned versions(like Quaker old fashioned that takes longer to cook)? Thanks, and apologies if this has been answered before...I didn't find it in my searches.

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal helps or worsens diarrhea?!?! new
      #303006 - 03/23/07 10:03 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

What are you eating with it?

I have IBS-D and oatmeal is soothing to me. I eat it with rice milk and a bananna. I do get gassy by lunchtime, but I don't think it's the oatmeal because it happens anyway, no matter what kind of cereal I eat. I only eat one packet at a time. Quick-cooking oats don't bother me either.

I've been reading lately on this board that some folks are bothered by oatmeal.

#303017 - 03/24/07 08:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Oatmeal is one of those odd foods - like brown rice and cornmeal - that's part Soluble Fiber and part Insoluble Fiber. In fact, oatmeal is 50/50. Some IBSers find it very soothing and love to start their day with it. I find it troublesome - it makes my tummy go bloop-bloop-bloop. If I eat cereal, I stick with Rice Chex and Corn Pops.

Here's an old post where AtomicRose talks about instant versus regular oatmeal. If you have your heart set on oatmeal, you could try eating just one packet at a time and try her suggestion of adding a banana to boost the SF. Also, as she says, check the other ingredients - some of the flavored oatmeals can be trouble.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#303056 - 03/24/07 05:24 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

It seems to be dependent on the person, but oatmeal became a lifesaver for my IBS-d when I first started this diet. I only eat one packet at a time and I started with the packets of brown-sugar. Now I can handle the Nutrition for Women oatmeal packets (brown-sugar) and I even tried a nut one a few times. I do eat the apple-cinnamon sometimes but for some reason psychologically I get more nervous about eating that one b/c of the apple! But it's fine. Putting a banana in is a super idea if you have bad d in the morning. And if I were you, I wouldn't eat (or drink) ANYTHING elso with it for about a week when you wake up to determine if the oatmeal is safe for you. (If you're taking an sf supplement, mix it in or take it right when you wake up.) I hope your body likes the oatmeal b/c it is a blessing to have that staple even mid-day which is what I ate often when I first started and needed to go somewhere.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#303306 - 03/27/07 02:38 PM
arctic masticator

Reged: 09/14/06
Loc: Alaska/Cali

Thanks for all the responses, and the link to the old post was very helpful. I'm trying it all again with plain Whole Foods instant oatmeal and some brown sugar, then I'll add banana in at some point. Fingers crossed.

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

#303841 - 04/02/07 09:47 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I eat one packet of Quaker instant oatmeal (maple & brown sugar flavor) mixed with boiling water every single morning. If I were to eat 2 packets, I would probably be running to the bathroom. One packet is perfect for me, and very stabilizing. The only other things I can eat first thing in the morning are white rice, dry rice chex, french bread, or a plain bagel. That's about it, I think.

I can't tell you how the old fashioned oats would be because I don't eat them... not because of IBS, but because I just prefer the texture of instant mixed with boiling water.

#303845 - 04/03/07 04:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I always found it to be a very safe food, but everyone's different. Also, do be careful of instant oatmeal - some of them contain dairy ingredients, even the flavors you wouldn't immediately guess, and dairy, of course, is a major IBS trigger.

Personally, I eat the old-fashioned rolled oats; I love the chewiness. I've seen a lot of people say that the instant is easier to digest, though.

Dash - 1/2 cup of oats = 1 serving -nt- new
      #303867 - 04/03/07 09:12 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review