All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What could be causing my gas?
      #302773 - 03/21/07 04:59 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm fine after my morning meal of instant oatmeal or Trader O's (like Cheerios) with a bannana, rice milk and rice protein powder. I also have 2 tsp of Acacia in a glass of water. Feeling great. Mid-morning I have my 2nd dose of Acacia which I sip from bottled water until lunch. I also have 3 rye crackers with peanut butter and fruit-sweetened jelly. Sometimes the pb&j bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. By lunch time I'm quite qassy until dinner. When I eat dinner the gas goes away. Strange.

I've tried slowing down when I eat. I stopped using soy milk. I'll experiment with cutting out my tomato slice and lettuce on my sandwich for lunch (I didn't know they could cause gas!). I just ordered the peppermint capsules.

Am I taking my 2nd dose of Acacia too soon afer the 1st, causing the gas? Is almond butter less gassy? I would hate to cut out my pb! Is beano different than a digestive enzyme (which I take before breakfast and dinner)? Thanks all.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What could be causing my gas? new
      #302783 - 03/21/07 06:52 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Maybe try taking your 2nd dose of acacia before dinner.

#302784 - 03/21/07 07:27 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Just try one thing at a time and see how it helps - if you try too much at once you can't tell what helps and what doesn't.
Debbie IBS
C

#302820 - 03/22/07 10:16 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

One thing you may want to try is to drink more liquids (preferably something warm like peppermint tea) during the morning and early afternoon. If I'm not drinking all day long, I get crampy and bloated. A little mid-morning snack may also help.

Another easy fix is to get up and walk around. I'm a computer nerd, so I end up sitting in one place for 6+ hours at a time. Not good! If I go out for a walk during the day, I feel much better.

--AC

#302826 - 03/22/07 10:50 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Digby,
Just to share my experience...anytime I eat anything with yeast, I get bad gas, along with pain and maybe irregular bowel habits the next day or so.I am now having to check all labels as there is yeast in a lot of processed foods (crackers, canned soups, chips).Oatmeal also gives me much gas. Not sure if that could be your problem, but maybe eliminate it for a few days and see if you get any better.Take care...
Kim

Gassy foods per the Beano site new
      #302833 - 03/22/07 12:12 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Thanks for your suggestions!

I bought some Beano, and if you go to this website http://www.beanogas.com/BeanoFoods.aspx they list foods that cause gas. They also suggest taking 1 tablet per 1/2 cup of gassy food.

Re: Gassy foods per the Beano site new
      #302840 - 03/22/07 01:10 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

They also suggest taking 1 tablet per 1/2 cup of gassy food.

You may find, as I have, that this doesn't necessarily hold true. Only taking 2 or 3 Beanos with a meal (and I eat SMALL meals) just doesn't cut it for me. I need 4 at a time in order for them to work.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Did you see the other post on Beano? new
      #302842 - 03/22/07 01:13 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Someone posted about a product similar to Beano, same alphaglactase(sp?) enzyme but in a stronger dose/capsule. It's made by Renew Life and called GasStop and probably only require taking 1 or 2 per meal. I will be buying some soon to try out. Another plus, it has fennel in it too.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Did you see the other post on Beano? new
      #302848 - 03/22/07 01:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yeah, I did see that after I posted!! I'm going to look for it at the HFS this weekend.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 942 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review