All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Follow-up on IDIOT doc, saw a new one, good things new
      #302933 - 03/23/07 08:53 AM
lauren2121

Reged: 02/18/07

LUCKILY the new GI doc I went to actually listened to me, and didnt shove more pamphlets into my hands on how to eat for IBS and gas (like I don't know how to eat for IBS, pah-lease). He told me to stop taking the anti-spasmodics cause I hadnt really noticed a difference (besides some D which was unexpected). And basically he thinks I have an overabundance of BAD bacteria in my lower digestive tract and not enough good bateria (think all those yogurt commercials). So he put me on CIPRO for 10 days to rid me of the bad bacteria, and gave me some probiotics to supply me with good bateria (i cant eat yogurt cause im Lact. intolerant, but that was his first suggestion.) He also said that if this doesnt get better within a few days, to eat 2 CHEWABLE extra strength gas-x's after every meal.

He did not push for a colonoscopy like the first idiot doctor(im convinced that guy just wanted the money for performing a procedure like that), and he tested for everything under the sun, celiac's, thyroid, helicobactor, etc etc. He said the food allergy test could come if this doesnt work. It was great! And I feel noticeable better, even though its only been 24 hours (I've always been a sucker for the placebo effect-I'd be horrible in a study). So I'm a happy camper, I hope the good feelings continue!

Anyone else go through this course of treatment and do well with it? Or not??

Edited by lauren2121 (03/23/07 08:57 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Follow-up on IDIOT doc, saw a new one, good things new
      #302969 - 03/23/07 11:21 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

While I haven't gone the antibiotic and probiotic route, my doctor said we could try it if I didn't see results from the low dose amytriptyline. Since it worked, he didn't see the need to try it. He has said that many of his patients do well with the antibiotic and probiotic treatment.

Re: Follow-up on IDIOT doc, saw a new one, good things new
      #302984 - 03/23/07 01:59 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

He did not push for a colonoscopy like the first idiot doctor

Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? There are a few things that need to be ruled out, via colonoscopy, to make sure you've been diagnosed correctly. However, if you have already had one done and symptoms haven't changed any, there wouldn't be much point to having another one right now.

I'm glad to hear that your new doc is working out better for you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8079 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review