All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colc Cut Turkey
      #302541 - 03/19/07 09:25 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I know that eating cold cuts is not recommended in high amounts b/c of the nitrates, right? My cold cut turkey seems to be such a staple for me, especially when I am out and need to order something safe. All you scientists out there, how much is too much per week? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bump...misspelled...COLD CUT TURKEY question n/t new
      #302676 - 03/20/07 05:58 PM
line415

--------------------

Re: Colc Cut Turkey new
      #302683 - 03/20/07 06:43 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

In terms of IBS I don't know if the nitrates is bad? I eat cold cuts every day with no IBS problems.

--------------------
Kat

#302723 - 03/21/07 10:30 AM
line415

No, not necessarily for IBS...just for general health. I rely on a turkey sandwich a lot b/c it is safe and I know that I can handle it even on a busy day. So you eat it every day? Just wondering if anyone knows if that's good for us in general. I always buy the low sodium kind.

By the way, I thought of you this afternoon when I tried Heather's sweet pea recipe from her newsletter. I was thinking of using it as an IF veggie mid-day like you were searching for with some crackers. I wonder if it can be frozen b/c I don't like to cook/prepare either!lol Has anyone frozen any of the dips in the recipe archive? It was actually easy to make and quite tasty considering I don't really like peas. You might want to give it a try. Only thing is that I forgot to take Beano before it and I ate quite a bit!!!

--------------------

#302732 - 03/21/07 12:42 PM
K2

One idea for the cold cuts: Sometimes if I make baked chicken or turkey breast, the next day I'll cut up some leftovers and use that for my sandwich. It's really the same thing as cold cuts just home-style and not necessarily in the same sliced form.

Did you have to bake the garlic like it says in the sweet pea recipe? I'd be more likely to try it if I could skip that step..

Today I made myself some soup. I have to admit I've always been afraid of soup, they always seem to give me tummy troubles. But I think I know why, today I made some and took out a measuring cup and took 1 cup of soup. It fills about 1/3 my bowl that I always have soup in. That means before I'd be having probably 2 or 2 1/2 cups of soup with lots of veggies, which is probably just too much IF at one time for me. So I think I'll be more likely to eat soup more often now.

--------------------
Kat

I used minced garlic in a jar instead! much quicker! n/t new
      #302827 - 03/22/07 10:51 AM
line415

--------------------

Re: I used minced garlic in a jar instead! much quicker! n/t new
      #302829 - 03/22/07 11:00 AM
K2

ohh good to know, I always have some in my fridge. How much did you use? I think I'll make this next week..

--------------------
Kat

Re: I used minced garlic in a jar instead! much quicker! n/t new
      #302891 - 03/22/07 07:52 PM
line415

I can't say exactly. I only made 1/2 the recipe so I used 1 cup of peas and reduced all the other ingredients by half (although I did add some more water, as my blender was being temperamental!). I would say about 1 1/2 teaspoons maybe. I just scooped some with a regular spoon. I had no idea (or at least didn't bother trying) to calculate the amount compared to using fresh garlic! It seems as though you can adjust it to your taste anyway as you like it.

I was hoping my kids would go for it but they didn't. Interstingly enough, I dislike peas and liked the dip...they disliked the dip but they'll eat peas if they are frozen and "clumped together." Don't ask...as long as they eat them!

I hope you enjoy it. It would be great to have around if you could freeze it in little containers and then just take one out mid-day with some crackers. That would help me with my afternoon veggie intake too. Now I'm going to look in the recipe archive for some more IF veggie dips.

--------------------

#302909 - 03/23/07 06:58 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
There should be no problem eating this. Are you referring to the Boar's Head brand that is pure turkey? there are brands which are a processed turkey which is still turkey but not the white meat. And it ends up being quite greasy. I eat the Boar's Head brand at least 6 times a week in a sandwich. You need the protein, it's basically fat free and nothing but good for you....Virag;)

Thanks Viraq...happy to hear that! n/t new
      #302959 - 03/23/07 10:31 AM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review