All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
allergic to soy
      #302335 - 03/15/07 02:59 PM
lovemycats

Reged: 10/03/06

Hi folks.
I started to eat for IBS, and find I am allergic to soy.
What can I (if possibel) use instead? Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, lovemycats

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: allergic to soy new
      #302337 - 03/15/07 03:11 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What types of soy products are you trying to replace? I don't tolerate soy milk well, but rice milk is a great substitute. Instead of tofu you could try seitan, which is wheat gluten.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302340 - 03/15/07 03:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You can try rice and almond products. There are also hemp products but I don't know how those sit with IBS.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#302351 - 03/15/07 08:31 PM
lovemycats

Reged: 10/03/06

Thanks Lisa. I am allergic to anything with soy in it. I was so thrilled when I started Heathers diet, then found out about the allergy. Have you tried any of her products? If I cant follow the diet, maybe some of her products will help. Thanks again, lovemycats

#302376 - 03/16/07 09:15 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I tried most of them, but only still use the acacia. The fennel tea didn't help my gas, but I found one at my local HFS that does. I also tried the peppermint caps, but they gave me GERD. The acacia, however, has worked wonders! Also the hypno program; I'm on my second round with it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302432 - 03/16/07 07:39 PM
MominMaine

Reged: 02/20/07

I discovered after 1.5 yrs following EFI that I am sensitive to soy (gas and bloating) but a doctor confirmed I am not allergic. I use rice milk instead and always use vinegar to create buttermilk because a dietician recently told me to stay away from lemon and tomatoes, too. I tried oat milk but have become sensitive to oats (bloating and gas). Lots of people rave about almond milk but I haven't tried it because I am allergic to almonds. (Gosh, I sound pathetic.) I recently discovered a butter substitute spread that is rice based and soy free. I had to adjust to the taste but...it's okay. I keep rice cheese slices handy for sandwiches once in awhile (I only like the mozzarella flavored one). It is tough but if you keep experimenting, you will find combinations you like that are safe for IBS and you, in particular.

The acacia fiber has been great for me. I steep fennel seeds twice a day for tea but don't know how much they help - I just know they don't hurt. Since I have GERD, I can rarely handle peppermint tea. The peppermint caps caused me heartburn. (I bought and tried them before I was diagnosed with GERD.) My current favorite herbal tea is honey vanilla chamomile. I have the hypnosis CDs but cannot realistically start using them until my youngest child begins Kindergarten in the fall - there is no definite time of the day when I am not at risk of being interrupted :-) !

Good luck on your safe-eating journey.

IBS - C (with gas and bloating)

#302533 - 03/19/07 08:45 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Mominmaine--If lemon and tomatoes are problematic for you, vinegar could be as well... those are all quite acidic. (I know that wasn't the primary subject of your post, but it set off some alarm bells.)

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: vinegar new
      #302601 - 03/19/07 07:18 PM
MominMaine

Reged: 02/20/07

Thanks, GaiasSong! You are right about the vinegar, of course. Since I never use more than 1.5 Tbsp to "sour" my milk substitute in bread and pancake recipes, I don't think it bothers me - but I am not completely sure. It is so hard to cut out so many foods but - it beats the discomfort.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1919 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1443

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review