All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to board...a couple of questions
      #302223 - 03/13/07 06:03 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

Hi,

I recently developed symptoms of mainly IBS-D. My doctor immediatly said it was probably IBS because I'm a college student and stress is a big component of IBS.

However, I was wondering if it is common for those with IBS to be anemic, and feel tired all the time. I have tried the IBS diet, but I still get D often, and I have found even if just eat safe foods, I still have symptoms.

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to board...a couple of questions new
      #302231 - 03/13/07 07:23 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you been to a GI? Has any testing been done to rule out other conditions?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#302244 - 03/13/07 08:56 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

You might want to rule out celiac. Anemia and diarrhea can be caused by celiac...just a thought.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

#302251 - 03/14/07 12:10 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

just a note to say i had anaemia and ibs at the same time- doctors thought it was crohns but everything came back all clear, so you can have the 2, but think mine was more to do with being a young women with heavy periods than my ibs.

Re: are you getting any protein? new
      #302255 - 03/14/07 06:37 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

You didn't post what you eat each day but not having any protein is certainly going to exhaust you. Protein is the fuel, our big energy source. I was certainly dragging around the first 10 days on that BRAT diet although along with the tea and acacia, it definitely stopped the painful diarrhea pain spasms.

Once I could get some protein several times a day, that terrible fatigue lifted. As I understand it we need at enough protein about the size of a pack of cards, three times a day. Since I am eating many smaller meals, this is easy to get down. I started by boiling skinless chicken breasts, 3 at a time. THat gave me enough chicken to dice up and spread out from morning to night. I also ate egg white slices after hard boiling the eggs. You get as much protein in the white as the yellow.

See if you can handle protein, a small amount without problems once you get stabilized.
Best wishes, Virag

#302262 - 03/14/07 09:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You really need to be tested thoroughly before accepting an IBS diagnosis. Yes, because you're so young it's unlikely to be anything else but it's not impossible. I'm a little concerned that following Heather's guidelines doesn't seem to have helped at all. And better safe than sorry.

Here's a brief description of what tests you need to have and what conditions your doctors need to rule out before making an IBS diagnosis:

web page

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302275 - 03/14/07 01:32 PM
morrisonjen

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Virginia, USA

I go through the same thing. There are times when anything I eat makes me sick. I'm also almost always anemic. I even had to have an iron infusion done. If you haven't tried Heather's Tummy Fiber, I recommend it. It seems to be helping me a little bit so far and I haven't been on it too long, but give it a shot

--------------------
"The end of the dream will be when it matters..."
~Jim Morrison

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7894 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review