All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Post Your Typical Day Safe Menu Please
      #302091 - 03/12/07 01:56 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I'm trying to eat safe and thought it would help for ideas if people posted a typical safe food menus.

BR: oatmeal w/ brown sugar
LN: Rice w/ a little peas and chicken (w/ soy sauce)
DN: Spaghetti w/ chicken broth & cooked carrots and some fish or chicken
SN: Sweet potato
SN: Chocolate Peppermint cake (w/o peppermint)

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This might not be as helpful as you'd think... new
      #302096 - 03/12/07 03:37 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I mean, the problem with IBS is that everyone's different... and even 2 people who are following the same diet are going to end up eating completely different foods, and finding it all perfectly safe.

I still follow the IBS diet, but I eat VERY heavy on the IF. My diet would probably kill you. On the other hand, if I ate your daily menu, I'd never poop again! LOL

Here's today's food...

Breakfast: cheerios & soy milk

Lunch: peanut butter & jelly sandwich (light on the pb!) on whole wheat, unpeeled apple

Snack: I'm eating raw carrots with mustard for dipping as I type this

Dinner: will be a huge salad - lettuce, cucumber, green onions, mushrooms, hard-boiled egg (just the whites), olives, radishes, and homemade no-fat dressing - and a couple slices of wheat bread, eaten first

Dessert: store-bought low-fat ginger crisps with my tea!

If I get hungry again later, I'll eat air-popped popcorn with salt on it. I can handle that on its own, without any further SF, as long as I eat it later in the day.

Re: I see what you mean.... new
      #302106 - 03/12/07 05:33 PM
WendySmiling

But I'm really new to this and was more looking for ideas so I don't get stuck in a rut. Today is my first day (after being off this way of eating for a year or so). There's just SO much to read and trying to think of things to eat.. (OY!)

Did you get stable before adding all the IF?

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

I stabilized *while* eating this way... new
      #302123 - 03/12/07 06:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I mean, I definitely did not jump right into eating this much insoluble fiber. I started out eating pretty much all soluble foods, and stuck with that for quite some time (I think the only IF I was eating was a little fruit, green beans, and spinach). Then, as I started feeling better, I started adding more foods in. When it didn't make me sick, I got brave, and added MORE in, and that kept on until I got to the point I'm at now... and that's pretty much when I stabilized.

Most people eat a lot more soluble fiber than I do, and feel best that way, which made me kind of hesitant to post what I eat. But ya know, maybe it'll give you ideas... maybe it'll be an encouragement to you (or someone else reading this!) to try some new foods when the time comes. You'll be safe eating the way you are for a few days, though, and when you do add IF foods, remember to do so gradually.

You'll find (or, re-find!) the balance of what works best for you... unfortunately, sometimes it takes a little time. I don't want to be discouraging, but it took me well over a year - almost a year and a half - to get to where I finally stabilized. It was worth it, though - I've been basically attack-free ever since.

Re: I stabilized *while* eating this way... new
      #302135 - 03/12/07 07:28 PM
WendySmiling

Quote:

You'll find (or, re-find!) the balance of what works best for you... unfortunately, sometimes it takes a little time. I don't want to be discouraging, but it took me well over a year - almost a year and a half - to get to where I finally stabilized. It was worth it, though - I've been basically attack-free ever since.

It's not discouraging at all. I figure it will take a year or two. Thanks!

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Post Your Typical Day Safe Menu Please new
      #302161 - 03/13/07 06:46 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

hey, i just wanted to say that i'll post my daily menu a little later, i dont have time now,,, but dont worry, i'll get it in here today and good luck with the stabilizing!!!

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#302170 - 03/13/07 08:35 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Breakfast: Peanut butter crunch cereal with vanilla rice milk

Lunch: Turkey Breast Sandwich with mustard, and a pickle, baked potato chips, some hard candy

Dinner: Spaghetti with smart balance light butter and alittle garlic salt, angel food cake

Snack: Pretzels with mustard, pickles, candy (smarties, licorice, gobstoppers, ect), lightly buttered bagel, jelly sandwiches (made with organic jelly)

#302171 - 03/13/07 08:37 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I am IBS-A and much more stable than a few months ago, but still working at it. Here is a typical day.

BR-Oatmeal made with water and added sugar
SN-Pretzels
L- Turkey breast and honey mustard either on Saltines or white bread, Baked Lays, shortbread cookies.
SN- Corn Pops with Silk Vanilla Soy milk (I can't handle this for breakfast but I have no problem with it later in the day) I take 2 Beano with this to combat gas.
Din- Pasta with Smart Balance Light and salt, canned carrots
or Rice with baked chicken, sweet potato or baked potato

This is the basic diet and I try to add something new every week or so, but I have to be careful about the timing since I am a teacher and can't experiment too much during the week. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Christy

Here it is :) new
      #302172 - 03/13/07 08:49 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Ok, here's my typical daily meal plan,,, keep in mind though that I am IBS-D, not C, so I can't, or at least dont have as much IF as people with C need.

Breakfast: Cheerios or Corn Chex with Plain Lite Soymilk
Snacks (I eat every hour): Saltines, a peeled pear, buttered toast or bagel (with SmartBalance Light)
Lunch: Leftovers from night before, usually rice, pasta, or potatoes, with chicken and some kind of IF veggie, usually corn or green beans,, hehe my favorite. Sometimes I'll have a white pita with some deli turkey and a little bit of salad inside, sometimes I'll make scrambled eggs to put inside, both are yummy.
Snacks: Pretzels, applesauce, saltines, PBJ sandwhich, more peaches,,,
Dinner: Almost always rice, pasta, or potatoes, chicken or seafood, and IF veggies. Sometimes I'll have chicken soup, sometimes I'll have breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs, I use EggBeaters, toast or bagel, and slices of turkey ham cooked until brown in a no-stick frying pan).
Snacks before bed: Applesauce, pretzels, and/or saltines.

I also snack on some candy during the day. Typically Starburst Jelly Beans (absolutely AWESOME!!!) and Skittles.

I also like snacking on Teddy Grahms. I drink lots of water during the day, I have about 6-8 32 oz water bottles, plus some tea. And I take multi-vitamins with my snacks, and probiotics with my main meals. I take digestive enzymes if I have something that has a little too much fat or IF, like sauted veggies.

Hope this helps some!! I know I have more, my pantry is always full of safe snacks. Ooooh, like now I'm remembering more haha. Nature Valley Granola Bars, Triscuits with canned Tuna or Salmon, and bananas.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Edited by oldestofseven (03/13/07 08:50 AM)

OH - how I miss salads!!!! -nt- new
      #302212 - 03/13/07 04:24 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#302267 - 03/14/07 10:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Breakfast: slice of whole wheat bread (yeah, I'm IBS-C ), Silk Live smoothie, banana

Lunch: 1/3 cup smoked salmon salad, half a pita, apple

Dinner: Mexican brown rice/black bean/chicken breast dish, green beans

Dessert: small chunk of dark, dark chocolate or a couple of "Fig Newmans"

I have a heaping tablespoon of acacia in water for both breakfast and dinner. I drink peppermint and decaf black tea all day long.

--AC

Re: I stabilized *while* eating this way... new
      #302330 - 03/15/07 02:08 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

IBS-C.

Breakfast- Sour Dough Toast with strawberry jelly, scrambled egg beaters with soy cheese, fruit salad of mangos and grapes

Lunch- PB sandwich on sour dough bread, baked tostitos and peeled apple or oatmeal and fruit salad

Dinner- Grilled or baked chicken or fish, pasta with veggies, small piece of fruit

Snacks- pretzels, graham crackers or baked bread

I drink teas all day long.

I am also relieved to hear that it took many of your a year to stabalize. I have been on the diet for four months and am doing better, but still have flare-ups- which are frustrating. It is good to know that as long as keep doing what I am doing, I will eventually feel a lot better for longer periods of time.

Here's a typical day I ate while stabilizing new
      #302358 - 03/15/07 11:16 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Breakfast - Quaker instant Maple & Brown sugar package (mixed with boiling water) - I still eat this pretty much every single morning. It really stabilizes me in the morning better than ANYTHING else.

Lunch - Gardenburger Flame Grilled soy burger on white bun with TINY sprinkle of Kraft fat free shredded cheddar cheese (not technically IBS-safe, but it doesn't give me any trouble as long as I don't overdo it... just enough to kill the beany taste of a fake burger). A handful of baked tostitos.

Dinner - Rice, pasta, potatoes, or French bread always. Meat would be chicken (teriyaki, BBQ, plain, or with a little garlic seasoning), tilapia, or tofu (LOVE LOVE LOVE it with Amy's Family Marinara and spaghetti noodles!!). Side item would usually be green beans or sauteed veggies (carrots, zucchini, and maybe broccoli). Stir-fry is also GREAT with rice, as is homemade veggie soup with French bread.

Snacks/Desserts - pretzel sticks, graham crackers, hunk of French bread, leftovers (try to cook extra at dinner so you have healthy food when you're hungry between meals), "s'mores" (graham crackers with Kraft mini marshmallows toasted on top in the toaster oven or oven), small piece of safe cake or brownie (only after safe meal), candy canes, pita bread

Things I've started eating more recently:
- Rice Chex with Soy Dream Classic Vanilla soy milk (makes me a little gassy, but not enough to make me stop drinking it at night... about to have some in a minute!)
- Chocolate Cake for One (recipe in index - HEAVENLY!!)
- egg white omelet with toast (again, makes me a little gassy, but sometimes I'm just craving eggs)
- chicken quesadilla (this has become my new favorite lunch. recipe is posted here somewhere)
- tofu noodle stir-fry with angel-hair pasta and small diced veggies and tamari sauce. Super easy and delicious! Need to post that recipe soon...

That's all I can think of right now. Most of the meals I listed are discussed in more detail in other posts. Let me know if you need help finding one, and I'll dig it up.

Hope that helps!

C People ? new
      #302370 - 03/16/07 06:23 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

Can any of you do salads with out feeling gassy? What have you seen as most helpful?If I have enough fiber I go but then am bloated like a baloon so gassy like insane then when I reduce even a little I'm constipated. I know its different for everyone thats what is frustrating but glad to see so many have good results. Take care

#302374 - 03/16/07 09:08 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Breakfast: apples & cinnamon oatmeal prepared with Almond Breeze original milk, acacia, & blueberries, egg white

Snack: Yoso soy yogurt with added cut up strawberries, ginger snaps

Lunch: Turkey breast on white bread toasted, with Veganaise, lettuce, olives

Snack: applesauce with acacia, Almond Breeze chocolate milk

Dinner: fish, rice, steamed asparagus

Snack: peppermint patties, Heather's cinnamon zucchini bread

--------------------
Kat

#302375 - 03/16/07 09:13 AM
Lisa Marie

Breakfast: Smoothie made with strawberries, blueberries, peaches, banana, vanilla rice milk, and rice protein powder.

Snack: Cream of rice with vanilla rice milk and brown sugar

Lunch: Usually last night's leftovers. Today I'm having a Cuban-type vegan dish we made last night that has white rice, black beans, green & red pepper, and onion.

Snack: Either a slice of bread (zucchini, pumpkin apple spice, banana, etc), or hummus/bean dip and baked corn chips.

Dinner: Tonight we're having "rigatoni casserole" which is rigatoni pasta, chunky vegetable tomato sauce, TVP, and a little nutritional yeast and bread crumbs.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#302377 - 03/16/07 09:44 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Breakfast: Acacia in water, oatmeal porridge or rice/millet porridge made with rice milk, water, or soya milk,and 2 tbsp natural soya yoghurt, stewed fruit - apple,pear,dried mango, or blueberries

Snack: Banana, maybe a couple of low fat Rich Tea biscuits

Lunch: Homemade vegetable soup (all SF - carrot and parsnip, celeriac and parsnip, or sweet potato and butternut squash), 2 slices white bread, pretzels, one of Heather's safe cakes

Snack: Small piece of safe cake; soya yoghurt, Acacia and water

Dinner: White rice or potato or sweet potato, chicken or fish, SF vegetable, e.g. carrot or swede (rutabaga in US?), IF vegetable e.g. green beans, spinach

Snack: Safe cake and soya yoghurt, Acacia and water

Yikes - it seems a lot, but I have always been on the underweight side, and seem to have a fast metabolism! I found that when I cut out a lot of the fat I was eating, the weight began to drop off, so I eat lots of safe carbs. I am IBS-C, pain predominant, and so need lots of SF to buffer any IF, which always seems to cause pain. Salads are off the menu at the moment. I have been following the EFI diet for 5 months now and seen a lot of improvements, but probably need longer before I can call myself stable.

#302382 - 03/16/07 11:12 AM
Lisa Marie

You sure eat quite a lot of SF for a Cer!!! Doesn't that much SF just make your C worse? I have to eat IF with EVERY meal, and sometimes with my snacks.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: C People ? new
      #302388 - 03/16/07 11:32 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I can do a little salad at the end of dinner, or a lunch salad under certain conditions (feeling stable, haven't had one lately, go for lots of interesting vegetables rather than just a big hunk of iceberg lettuce, and have some SF). They don't make me gassy...unless you're talking about trapped gas and cramping. That's usually a signal that I need to drink more liquids (particularly peppermint tea) and use more Beano and make sure I'm getting SF at every meal.

Oh yeah, and I go for safer things when I'm under stress because I'm way more tolerant of IF and fats when I'm relaxed. Hypno helps with this, of course.

--AC

To Lisa Marie..... new
      #302421 - 03/16/07 04:41 PM
WendySmiling

Quote:

You sure eat quite a lot of SF for a Cer!!! Doesn't that much SF just make your C worse? I have to eat IF with EVERY meal, and sometimes with my snacks.

I'm JUST starting out and and really sick and trying to just start incorporating IF as I was trying to do the SF only for a few days. How so does one start adding IF in? After a week? I don't want to be C, I'm not at all stable, and I'm scared IF will make me bloat and cramp. I have no idea what foods are safe for me, or how much IF to start out with. I'm just starting out....<shrug>? I have some beans at home that I'm terrified to eat.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: This might not be as helpful as you'd think... new
      #302425 - 03/16/07 05:41 PM
Chel

Reged: 06/08/06

Atomic Rose -

I had to <snicker> re: 'never poop again' comment.

I, too, eat very heavy on the IF... for the very same reasons.

michelle

#302460 - 03/18/07 06:14 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Note: I am IBS-A now, but I started out as very much IBS-D. I am pretty stable these days.

Breakfast: Oatmeal made with 1 c. lite soy milk with a half cup of canned peaches or pears and a few dried cranberries stirred in. I usually sprinkle in some cinnamon, too.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich on lite white bread with mustard, a little lite Miracle Whip, a tomato and a slice of soy cheese (I do fine with store bought bread, always have) and about a cup of raw carrots.

Snack: 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce

Dinner: White rice, green beans and chicken marinated in terryaki sauce. (These days, I can also handle a dinner salad fairly often, but that's a new development in the last 6 months.)

Evening snack: Smoothie of soy milk and a banana

Before I was so stable, I constantly snacked on FF soda crackers, but I don't have to do that anymore. My "hunger signal" is also working again at least half the time.

Start slow.... new
      #302535 - 03/19/07 09:00 AM
Lisa Marie

Well, that explains it!! Start slow, and when you add in IF, it helps to either cook the heck out of it, or puree it. If it's beans you want, try a pureed bean dip. I, personally, have posted a few soup recipes on the Recipe Board that are pureed combinations of SF and IF. Try adding just one new food at a time so you will know how you react to it. Also, eat small meals throughout the day. I try to eat every three hours or so.

Natural Calm is great for C; hopefully you can find it at a HFS near you. Heather's Acacia will help you tolerate increased amounts of IF.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review