All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to take our meds with IBS....
      #302080 - 03/12/07 12:09 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Is there a safe way to take medications that will lessen the chances of triggering an episode of diarrhea, etc.?
I take my Synthroid first thing in the a.m.(I have thyroid)and so far no problems. But I have very painful arthritis and the only relief I can get is with regular aspirin. Tylenol is useless and Ibuprofen is worse then aspirin on my stomach. What about Allegra-D and other antihistamines that have stomach issues as a potential side effect. Living in Florida means taking these everyday.
How can I take these meds and keep my tummy quiet?
Thanks, Virag

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to take our meds with IBS.... new
      #302098 - 03/12/07 03:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, honestly, you'll probably have to experiment a little and see what works best for you. But personally, I find I'm fine with medications after a meal - even first thing in the morning - all that matters is that my stomach isn't empty when I toss the pills down. So try taking your morning medications after breakfast, and see how you do.

#302099 - 03/12/07 04:19 PM
virag

Well the Synthroid has to be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or at night 2 hours after eating. But at night I take the Allegra-D. I will work in the aspirin after lunch even though the mornings are misery when I first get up.
It could be worse....I could need to be taking an antibiotic. That is my nightmare with a stomach like this one.
Thanks for the reply...Virag

#302126 - 03/12/07 06:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm kind of inferring here, but I'm guessing you don't eat breakfast? You might want to try eating even just a little something, first thing in the morning. Not only would you then be able to take your aspirin then, but I found that breakfast really helps in terms of IBS management. Just a suggestion. Even a slice of toast is better than nothing. Actually, I can take Advil now, with a slice of toast to cushion the blow. (I feel your pain on Tylenol, btw - talk about useless!)

Anyway, good luck.

#302137 - 03/12/07 07:49 PM
virag

Hi, no you are absolutely not interfering. I am supposed to have the Synthroid on an empty stomach, wait an hour before eating. So after eating maybe some toast or bagel, then my aspirin I guess.
Sometimes the Allegra-D upset my stomach in the past, before the IBS, and I am supposed to take it twice a day, morning and night. I will have to work this out on paper somehow.
Virag:)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 951

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review