All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia and increased bowel movements
      #302056 - 03/12/07 08:04 AM
arctic masticator

Reged: 09/14/06
Loc: Alaska/Cali

I'm IBS-D and have been on Heather's Diet and 20g (8tbsp) of Acacia per day (split between breakfast and dinner) for about 5 months now. I noticed a slight improvement with the Acacia as I increased the dosages, but then it got to a point where I was having more bowel movements in a day than before. The consistency was basically the same, so I wasn't sure whether I had upped the Acacia too much. I believe I was taking about 25g/day at that point. So I dropped it back to 20g, thinking that that would diminish the number of movements. I still average 3-5 per day, even with a good amount of antidiarrheals, and I'm wondering whether I'm taking too much Acacia, or if adding more would actually help to reduce the number of movements by adding even more bulk. Any ideas? I'm afraid to go any lower on the dosage because I think I would lose too much of the bulking agent.

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia and increased bowel movements new
      #302063 - 03/12/07 09:51 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hmmmm....what is your diet like? How much IF daily?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#302083 - 03/12/07 12:28 PM
arctic masticator

I barely get any IF, and I'm afraid I'm killing my body because of it. My daily routine is essentially:

Breakfast - White Rice (Arborio or Jasmine) or Quinoa, 2 Slices Sourdough Toast w/Jam, 10g Acacia Fiber in water
Snack - Rice Cakes, Rice Crackers, or Fat Free Safeway Saltines
Lunch - Chicken w/Honey, White Rice (Arborio or Jasmine) or Quinoa, 4 Raw Baby Carrots
Snack - Rice Cakes, Rice Crackers, or Fat Free Safeway Saltines, Homemade Banana Bread (Heather's Recipe), Sourdough Roll
Dinner - Chicken w/Honey, White Rice (Arborio or Jasmine) or Quinoa, 4 Boiled Baby Carrots, 1/2 Avocado, 2 Slices Sourdough Toast

I often eat potatoes or yams at dinner, and sometimes butternut or yellow squash. I occassionally try to reintroduce boiled peas at dinner w/Beano, but I think it's doing me bad. I switch out turkey for the chicken sometimes, and occassionally have salmon. I also eat pasta infrequently.

Basically, no fats aside from the Avocado and the occassional minimal Olive Oil. No greens, which is terrible for my body (but not my stomach!). For some reason I've got it stuck in my mind that I shouldn't consume yeast, or too much sugar that would feed yeast already in residence in my gut (got this from Breaking the Viscious Cycle a long time ago, and no longer go by that diet).

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

#302109 - 03/12/07 05:47 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Yes, you definitely need to increase your IF. I know it's terribly scary but just do it slowly. If greens aren't your thing, then try to go the fruit route first rather than veggies. Even a bite or two of cantaloupe or pineapple after some SF food and your acacia would be a start. How do you feel after the raw carrots? I would stay away from anything raw for now. I vote for the smoothie and oatmeal with maybe a couple of raisins! Keep us updated on how it goes. Don't be nervous...you can do it and if you have a problem, it shouldn't be anything like what you were used to before...just make a note of the food and try again.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#302142 - 03/12/07 09:35 PM
arctic masticator

Thanks for the support. I forgot to mention that I generally eat a bit of applesauce w/carob powder every morning, and chicken noodle soup (which has some veggies in it) a couple times a week. Not that those add any significant amount of vegetable/fruit matter to my diet, but they add a bit. I've also tried to bring boiled peas back in w/Beano occasionally, but I'm not sure about their effect. What kind of smoothies are you recommending? Fruit or vegetable? And are their any non-bean vegetable spreads that can be homemade without much fat or beans in them (and still taste OK?)?

So I used to eat oatmeal, and love it, but it seemed to worsen my diarrhea. Maybe I was eating it in too large of quantities because I liked it so much...how much would you suggest and what kind? I went back and forth between instant kinds and the Old Fashioned Quaker, because I couldn't figure out which was more easily digested. It seems to me that the Old Fashioned kind has way more IF, or is just harder to digest as entire oat flakes, but they both did me in pretty bad I think. Thanks!

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

#302144 - 03/13/07 12:33 AM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

There's a great supplement if you have concerns about yeast in your GI. It's called Threelac. I used to be on the very strict candida control diet, but this works as well as the diet and other than staying away from refined sugar products, I don't need to follow the diet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 966 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1136

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review