All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about ibs type
      #301896 - 03/09/07 08:46 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

I have had IBS for so long I have lost all perception about what is normal involving bowel movements. When someones asks me what my symptons are I don't know how to descibe them. What is it when you have to force with all your might to go, but it is not constipated consistency. What do you call bowel movements that are not hard in any way, they are soft small ribbon like almost shapeless towards the end, but you have to go over and over again until you can be done, as it goes on they becomes less shaped. But what if it takes such force to get it out that when it finally comes it kind of explodes out and this goes on for a couple hours each morning. But if I didn't force with extremes, I could never be finished and my stomach would continue to bloat further and expand and rumble and hurt and get gradually worse as the day went on. But in doing this in the bathroom and forcing to the point that I have developed hems with occastional bleeding. Do I need a stool sofener, NO, do I need fiber, NO I have tried many, and it either makes it worse or no better at all. Cereal makes me gas and [censored] my brains out even it I have to force it out. What if mixed with the million small pieces in the toilet the rest of it came out like a spray paint can on the toilet. This sounds graphic, but how the hell can I explain this to a doctor. The forcing to me seems to be because of gas that is stopping the movements from coming out. So do I classify myself as D with needed force? I take lomotil and librax to stop the frequent movements that I have to force out of me. Doesn't that seem a contradiction? The acacia made me [censored] my brains out for hours at the smallest dose and I tried it two times. Tried other fiber to, but they do not cause any harmony or a solid movement with any kind of normal shape like you hear people talk about. Bread and carbs cause me to bloat and have extreme gas, I drink Pep tea everyday and tried the pep caps but they do nothing. I bloat so bad that i roll around in pain. Lactose test showed negative but gave me D the whole length of test. No celiac, no food allergies, but everything I eat causes symptoms, even toast gives me gas. I dont care that much about gas except it won't come out and I have severe illness from that alone. When I tried just eating white rice with carrots, that is what comes out in the toilet. Everything I eat you can identify in the bowl. Even if I eat candy when I go the color of the candy colors the bowel movement. Especially Blue. One day I thought I was bleeding in my bowels but realized it was the licorice peices all floating around that I ate the night before. I can't find a balance, immodium just prolongs the inevitable, fiber creates a major cotastophy in my intestines. What else other than a bullet to end the misery?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about ibs type new
      #301926 - 03/09/07 04:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Go to a GI doctor and get all the tests Heather suggests so you can rule out any other illness that mimic's IBS.
It sounds like you're not digesting well so maybe a good digestive enzyme, and probiotic can help.

#301966 - 03/10/07 12:48 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Wow. I am so sorry to hear that all you have tried has not worked. I'm so surprised that the acacia made you have d. Are you sure that it was the acacia and not just your regular diet? What amount did you start at? If you start at 1/4 tsp./day and work your way up, I wouldn't think that would happen. So sorry to hear about all your discomfort. Don't give up yet. It sounds a bit abnormal to have everything you eat come out in the toilet as is...I know some foods are like that (ie. corn) but maybe something else is wrong. What does your GI say? I'm sorry I don't have too much advice to offer except the acacia again and drinking lots of water. Feel better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Maybe it's not IBS new
      #302087 - 03/12/07 12:52 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Take a look at this thread from another Board. They talk about a "Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis & Parasitology" series and about "Rapid Dumping Syndrome". The Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis & Parasitology tests are a Smoky Mountain Labs thing which I find kind of edge-city but consider worth pursuing if nothing else is working.

Rapid Dumping Syndrome is most commonly found in patients who've had some kind of gastric surgery but apparently can occur in patients who haven't had surgery. *Some* of your food passing through without being digested is normal; *all* of your food doing so is not. As the other thread suggests you can just Google Rapid Dumping Syndrome; this Mayo Clinic article on Rapid Dumping Syndrome seems to provide a pretty good overview.

As for your asking:
Quote:

This sounds graphic, but how the hell can I explain this to a doctor.

I'd say to print out your post here - and your earlier posts - and condense your narrative of symptoms into a simple numbered list.

If it is "just" IBS, it sounds like you desperately need an SFS or possibly to eat more SF during the day. More Soluble Fiber should bulk things up which should make it easier to go, make you go in one shot rather than many little ones, and reduce the explosive factor.

You might try fennel tea for the gas.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302105 - 03/12/07 05:24 PM
karen42

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Atlanta area

I'm new to this board, and my heart goes out to all the people who have been suffering for so long!! I have an idea that this message board will continue to hear from me because it brought me such relief! Check out candidasupport.com. You are describing some of the common symptoms. It is rarely diagnosed by a doctor, but again diet and supplements can greatly help. An overpopulation of yeast can even be "cured," as long as you stick to eating right and taking supplements. Good luck!

Re: Maybe it's not IBS new
      #302800 - 03/22/07 07:32 AM
MT

Reged: 03/16/05

Thank you to all that responded about my IBS type, but nobody still told me what type IBS I am except maybe I am, just a unique entity. Just for those who asked me to get Heathers recommended tests, I have had 2 sigmoidoscopies, 2 barium enema extrays 2 sonograms of upper gi, another test unknown name, balloon was stuck up my anus and inflated and deflated and a graph was made(humiliating)
I have had lactose intolerance done, recently parasite testing done and celiac disease/gluten blood work done. All have resulted in negative readings. Any kind of ISF like
acacia, makes me extremely ill, Can't leave the toilet even worse than normal. I tried it 2 times to be fare, at the lowest dose, even tried other fibers. Believe me Fiber is no aid to me, and any kind a cereal consumption make me ill even with lactaid milk. I am happy though for those on this board that do find relief with it. Dumping syndrome seems to have the same symptons as IBS, I think I could deal with just diarrhea and gas, but it is the fact that it just won't come out t once and take hours and sometimes all day to relieve the trapped gas, sometimes the gas reaches all the way beneath my breast bone and when I lay down it feels like I am laying on a ball. I can push the gas around under my fingers and it just sloshes back and forth. That trapped gas causes me more pain and distress than you can imagine. Why is it stuck up there. This seems to be the riddle of this whole thing. The inability to comepletely eliminate and completely get the gas out that is making me very ill. Because, once it finally all lets go and is out I feel unimagineable relief. What it comes down to is no matter what I eat these symptoms appear. Eating bread and rice decreases the amount of D and and explosive qualities, but I still have such bloating and trapped gas that I don't find it worth it. I know this is supposed to be a pro Heathers diet site, but I don't have anyone else with my same problems and I hope people don't not like to give me other advice since the diet and products have not been the miracle that it has been for others. I still need support like anyone else. OH and I did try the fennel tea and pep caps. No help for me either. The only relief for gas is it getting out and it won't. I think I have a permanent indentation on my left lower side from pushing with all my might with my fist or a roll of TP on the spot where the gas is stuck and won't come out. I am the only one who probably give themselves hickies on the bellies from pushing and pinching myself on accident. Helllp

Re: Maybe it's not IBS new
      #302817 - 03/22/07 10:01 AM
Sand

I assume you're WhoopieCushion now posting under a new Board name.

I'm sorry that you're suffering so much, but I've given almost all the advice I have and only have a few more points to make. Then I'm really out of thoughts.

- Acacia and fibers like that are Soluble Fiber, not ISF (which I assume is Insoluble Fiber). I don't know that this will make any practical difference to you but perhaps that confusion is causing you some problems.

- You say "any kind a cereal consumption make me ill even with lactaid milk". If you're serious about trying Heather's approach you need to eliminate dairy completely. It's not just the lactose that can cause problems for IBSers.

- Dumping syndrome does have the same symptoms as IBS but my point was that if you have dumping syndrome you're not going to get better following advice for people with IBS.

- I'd give the fennel tea another try for the gas. Make sure you're drinking at least 3 strong cups of it every day.

- I've suggested previously that you post *exactly* what you're eating for a few days.

- I don't see a colonoscopy on your list of tests which leads me to my last point

- I'd find another doctor. I think I've suggested before that you check the list of good IBS doctors to find someone who may be more helpful and if there's no one in your area, try posting and asking if someone knows of a good doctor near you.

Quote:

Thank you to all that responded about my IBS type, but nobody still told me what type IBS I am except maybe I am, just a unique entity. Just for those who asked me to get Heathers recommended tests, I have had 2 sigmoidoscopies, 2 barium enema extrays 2 sonograms of upper gi, another test unknown name, balloon was stuck up my anus and inflated and deflated and a graph was made(humiliating)
I have had lactose intolerance done, recently parasite testing done and celiac disease/gluten blood work done. All have resulted in negative readings. Any kind of ISF like
acacia, makes me extremely ill, Can't leave the toilet even worse than normal. I tried it 2 times to be fare, at the lowest dose, even tried other fibers. Believe me Fiber is no aid to me, and any kind a cereal consumption make me ill even with lactaid milk. I am happy though for those on this board that do find relief with it. Dumping syndrome seems to have the same symptons as IBS, I think I could deal with just diarrhea and gas, but it is the fact that it just won't come out t once and take hours and sometimes all day to relieve the trapped gas, sometimes the gas reaches all the way beneath my breast bone and when I lay down it feels like I am laying on a ball. I can push the gas around under my fingers and it just sloshes back and forth. That trapped gas causes me more pain and distress than you can imagine. Why is it stuck up there. This seems to be the riddle of this whole thing. The inability to comepletely eliminate and completely get the gas out that is making me very ill. Because, once it finally all lets go and is out I feel unimagineable relief. What it comes down to is no matter what I eat these symptoms appear. Eating bread and rice decreases the amount of D and and explosive qualities, but I still have such bloating and trapped gas that I don't find it worth it. I know this is supposed to be a pro Heathers diet site, but I don't have anyone else with my same problems and I hope people don't not like to give me other advice since the diet and products have not been the miracle that it has been for others. I still need support like anyone else. OH and I did try the fennel tea and pep caps. No help for me either. The only relief for gas is it getting out and it won't. I think I have a permanent indentation on my left lower side from pushing with all my might with my fist or a roll of TP on the spot where the gas is stuck and won't come out. I am the only one who probably give themselves hickies on the bellies from pushing and pinching myself on accident. Helllp

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

A few more thoughts new
      #303019 - 03/24/07 08:57 AM
Sand

- I also don't see an endoscopy on your list of procedures. I know the blood work for celiac is supposed to be definitive but if I were a miserable as you are, I'd want someone to actually look at my villi while I was regularly eating wheat.

- You should be checked for SIBO. If I remember correctly gas and/or bloat is the symptom most helped by treatment for this. You can read up on this by doing a couple of Searches across all Boards with no time limit for:
SIBO
small bacteria

- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. You'll have to take them for a while - I'd say at least 4-6 weeks - to see if they actually help.

- Once you've done all the testing and have started taking the digestive enzymes and probiotics, try following Heather's guidelines to the letter, being sure to get lots of Soluble Fiber. Once you've been doing that for a couple of weeks, try not forcing yourself to go. From your earlier posts I assume this will mean taking some vacation time and/or sick time (or FMLA if you can swing it) but I think it would be helpful to see if your system can learn to regulate itself.

- If nothing else helps, consider alternative medicine optiions like accupuncture.

Okay, now I'm really out of ideas. HTH.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1782 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review