All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a little guidance!
      #301782 - 03/08/07 08:12 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

hi gus, just need a little guidance as i feel like im messing up without realising! last night went for sushi with my bloke, it went wrong as i realised i hate sushi! it tasted horrible (guess its just me, but it was covered with like avocado paste which i cant eat since it made me throw up once, it scares me now! lol!) anyway i asked for the menu and ordered soba noodles with grilled chicken and grilled chicken dumpling, but then i got worried as i though soba noodles were safe but said on menu they are buckwheat, i could have had udon but didnt know if they had egg in! im sure i read in the first year of ibs that grilled dumplings are a good choice and they were lush but kind of had a fried consistency, so i didnt know if safe but it def said grilled!! anyway the main thing was other than a tiny stomach ache today, i have been ok!!!
so then i sit down on my desk and went to the health food store earlier and brought some oatcakes to snack on, as i thought b a change from pretzels and biscuits, so i have some with cashew nut butter on ( lush! i started buying it because i had low iron in past and i know by themselves cashew nuts are a good source)and munching away- had about 4 or 5 of these little things and realise they have 1.9g of fat each!!!! i know oats r sometimes fatty, but with the nut butter it is way too much fat!!! i thought i was being good, but obviously not! i feel ok so far touchwood!but its so hard sometimes, me and my bloke had an argument last night because he said he wants to cook for me and suprise me but doesnt know what i can eat! how do you show your other halves what you can eat? he knows no milk, but then some things like dairy free pesto are still fatty! etc! hmm its so good feeling normal each day, but i feel like its hard work too!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a little guidance! new
      #301784 - 03/08/07 08:26 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It IS hard work getting used to the diet. When I first started the diet, I was so unstable we hardly ever ate out for the first 2-3 months. When we did go out, I usually had a turkey sandwich. We didn't eat anything "ethnic" out for probably 6 months. I didn't know what I could eat and even if I ate safely, it was often impossible to tell if I could make it home from the restaurant.

And, to be honest, sometimes it is trial and error. There are somethings I can eat that others on the boards wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, and vice versa. For instance, I have never really watched the fat, but I was eating low fat before anyway.

As far as egg ingredients, and this is just me, but as an ingredient, yolks never caused me trouble in noodles.

As for others cooking for you...hm. Maybe look at the recipe index here and print out some recipes for him to try?

Hang in there. I promise you it will get better.

#301788 - 03/08/07 08:49 AM
keepsmiling

thanks! i think the thing is when i do something i have to do it properly, so im following all the guidelines, when i need to find what works for me, its like after the meal last night i ate a bite of a butter cookie, and was ok- i think i can do that ocassionally without problems (not that im going to start advocating it!)
i think my ibs-d seems a lot diferent to some on the post, in that it never stopped me going out etc and i could usually stop attacks pretty quickly with imodium. (except for when i had a bout of food poisioning)it just made me and i felt unhealthy.
i never did the extreme diet in the first few days, i just started taking fibre and following the guidelines and adapting my meal- its worked pretty well and now i know if overeat certain things (say a take way cheese free pizza like i did the other night) or eat something bad i can take immodium and fibre and b back to normal next day. it no longer makes me or rules my life. i gave up eating out for a while too as i didnt know how to play it, but i love it and determined to start doing it safely. guess the more i do it the more i'll learn from my mistakes! ill get there!

#301790 - 03/08/07 08:54 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Sounds like you have a good attitude about it. That is key. I know if I always thought, "Well, I can never eat X, Y, and Z again," I'd have spent a lot more time depressed.

#301807 - 03/08/07 11:02 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Do you mean something like Walker's oatcakes? I find they don't bother me, even with the fat. For me, it seems like there is something about oats that allows me to tolerate a bit more fat with them. I can also handle full-fat oatmeal cookies, even though all my other baked goods must be low fat.
One thing that might help with meal planning is to remember that it's not the amount of fat in any one component that's important, it's the amount of fat in the entire meal. So that dairy free pesto might still be just fine, as long as you don't put too much of it on your pasta.
When it comes to restaurants, it is a lot of trial and error. Once you've worked out which restaurants and dishes work best for you, you'll likely be able to eat out regularly. My DH and I go out once a week and I seldom have any problems. Getting there was a bit of a process, with a few bouts of learning the hard way, but now I feel quite confident about going out to eat.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#301889 - 03/09/07 06:40 AM
keepsmiling

Well mine are Nairns but yeah just plain oatcakes! i think i did ok with them anyway, had a little loose bm this morning but i think its cos i tried to see if i could do without the 1/4 tsp i take before bed- dont think i can yet! i take 1/2 tsp with breakfast and my evening meal as well and worried i take 2 much?
what sort of things do you eat when you eatout? i have been doing well with asian food (japanese, some chinese) but going to a sort of pub place on sunday with my boyfriends parents, apparently it does fish and things, so i guess i could order grilled fish and new potatoes (are they safe with skin?)
I am getting good at meals now, but less so on snacks- like say if ihave a rice cake (or 2!) or a handful of marshmallows do i need this after sf meal? or ok on an empty stomch? ah tis confusing!
think might re-read my books tonight after watching ugly betty !!

#301912 - 03/09/07 12:20 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

What I eat when I eat out depends on the restaurant. I do a lot of Asian and Indian. However, I should point out that Indian can be tricky and one of the reasons I eat it so often is that I've found a place that I consistently do well with.

Pubs and Diners:
A sandwich of some sort is almost always what I go for. Veggie burgers, turkey burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches, turkey sandwiches. I even once had a very tasty salmon burger. If I can't get an acceptable substitute for the chips, I just don't eat them. One of the diners in my neighborhood has a great grilled chicken and couscous salad that is quite safe and perfect on really hot summer days.

Vietnamese:
Pho (noodle soup), chicken, seafood, or vegetarian versions.
Grilled chicken or shrimp over rice vermicelli.

Thai:
Tofu, shrimp, or chicken stir-fry dishes. I once had some wonderful steamed ginger fish. I avoid anything with coconut milk because of the fate content.

Indian:
Vegetable Biryani or aloo chole are my usuals. I stick with the vegetarian dishes in general. I eat naan, and I can handle one veggie samosa once I get some bread in me.

Steakhouses (really!):
Any grilled seafood dish should be fine, although you may have to specify to the waitperson that it not be cooked in butter. I always get a plain baked potato as a side, with some balsmaic vinaigrette salad dressing to put on it. It's actually amazing how IBS-friendly most steak places are because of the simple yet tasty seafood entrees most of them offer.

The only appetizer I ever order is fresh or summer rolls at Asian places. The majority of appetizers at most restaurants are either fried or entirely lacking in SF, so I just skip them.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1661 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1234

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review