All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
From "D" to "C"-Could use some advice
      #301529 - 03/06/07 06:50 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I have always being "D" but since starting on the Acacia Fiber about 3 weeks ago, I have become more "C" and I'm really miserable! I have gradually upped the dose of the fiber to 3/4 tsp twice a day and started eating small amounts of IF. The painful bloating and gas especially after my evening meal is so uncomfortable, wakes me up at night too, I drink the Fennel tea, use a heating pad,helps, but is there anything else I can do? What IF foods are the best to start off on? I've battled IBS-D for many years but dealing with "C" and the awful bloating and gas is new to me. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: From "D" to "C"-Could use some advice new
      #301631 - 03/06/07 08:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The same thing happened to me - I think it's part of the stabilizing process, unfortunately, for a lot of us. It gets better, I promise! Hang in there!

You definitely want to get eating IF, and keep increasing it gradually. When I started adding IF in, I started with peas, green beans, and spinach - one at a time, not all at once! You'll also want to continue increasing the Acacia, and be sure you're getting a LOT of water - that will help the C as well.

Also, I don't know if you're exercising, but I found that gentle exercise - walking, and especially yoga - every day was pretty helpful.

As for the gas, I admit that I didn't have that problem, but I know that some people use Beano, and it works for them. Maybe you could try that?

#301649 - 03/07/07 06:41 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm in the same boat right now as you. I'm trying to add more IF with every meal. (Before I wasn't consistent in having it throughout the day) And I'm lessening the amount of SF that I eat with food but keeping my acacia the same for now. How much acacia are you taking? I may increase mine like Atomic Rose suggested after I see how the IF goes. I don't want to do too much at once! Also, I am taking a calcium carbonate supplement and I may dare to try a calcium-magnesium 2:1 ratio if all of this doesn't work. It's been about 2-3 days and I'm feelng a little better..having more bms and less gas. And yes, I am taking Beano before evening meals which have more veggies. I'll keep you updated on my progress. I definitely need to excercise and drink more water. Feel better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#301651 - 03/07/07 06:49 AM
GenieG

Thanks "Atomic Rose" for your help, as I'm new to the Acacia Fiber I haven't known what to expect and wondering when would I become "normal" again! I increased the fiber a little before I ate last night and took a peppermint capsule too for the gas is always worse after eating dinner with IF in it. Sure enough I became bloated but at least was able to release the gas, this went on throughout the evening about 10PM I finally had a BM, it wasn't really "D" but soft and not formed. I took some more fiber around 1AM and tried to sleep, wasn't easy as I was up several more times with cramps and several more of these soft unformed BM's (sorry to be so explicit). This morning my gut feels like it was used for a punching bag but at least I'm not "C". I read about incomplete evacuation of the bowel and this is what seems to be happening to me now. I do drink a lot of water, peppermint, fennel teas and I do keep pretty active. I am thinking the SF can't really bulk me up because I'm still not eating a lot of IF foods for they make the bloating and gas worse. In the past I never had bloating and gas to this extent, I take "Culterelle" each morning which is supposed to combat the bad bacteria, maybe I need to change to something stronger, I just don't know anymore. Thanks again Atomic Rose, I feel so alone with this.

Re: From "D" to "C"-Could use some advice-re Line 414 new
      #301655 - 03/07/07 07:27 AM
GenieG

Thanks "Line 414", after I posted to Atomic Rose I found yours and I'm sorry you are having similiar problems too but you sound as though you may be on the right track at last. I am taking 1 1/4 tsp Acacia Fiber before breakfast and dinner(last night I took an extra dose before bed)and was up several times in the night with cramps and soft unformed BM's. I haven't taken Beano but maybe I shoud try as when I eat veggies and extra IF I get lots of bloating and gas so I'm avoiding them, how many do you take, now before dinner I take the fiber plus a peppermint capsule, would it be better to take the Beano instead of the peppermint? I guess I am not eating enough regular foods-IF, so naturally I have not got that much to get rid of hence the irregularity and when I do have a BM's they are soft, unformed because I mainly only have SF in my system. I used to take Calcium D+600 in the past during "D" flare-ups it worked good for me and I'm wondering if I should start again with it, maybe it would help bulk me up more, I only used to take half the dose after I became stabilized.. I started with the Acacia Fiber after but I've had problems since I started with it, in the past I have used Citrucel and didn't have these problems but then our bodies change over the years. Please do keep me posted "Line 414" Thanks!

Re: From "D" to "C"-Could use some advice-re Line 414-reLine 415 new
      #301656 - 03/07/07 07:30 AM
GenieG

Sorry "Line 415" I goofed with your title, not in the best frame of mind this morning, I feel so depressed.

Re: From "D" to "C"-Could use some advice-re Line 414-reLine 415 new
      #301681 - 03/07/07 09:42 AM
line415

No biggie about my screen name! I'm sorry you're feeling depressed. I know...this IBS can wreak havoc on our brains and emotions. Try not to get down and remember that so many people here say it took a long time to really find their comfort zone. I feel so much better than I was when I started (end of Sept.06) but I'm still trying to work out the kinks as now I am having some gas/bloating/c problems.

If I were you, I would not take extra doses of Acacia on a rough day. Just be steady about the amount that you are taking, drink lots of water, and slowly introduce the IF. Start with less gas producing fruits and veggies (for you...we're all different but blueberries/banana smoothie was what I started with). Make sure your veggies are REALLY soft...at least for now. I steam my veggies so that my two year old can eat them without even being cut up! That will be gentlest on your belly. I just started with Beano but I take 2 and sometimes 3 (like the other night with green beans).

I think the key at least for me though is that I really NEED to have daily bms to feel good. I had a great one this morning (yippee ) and it's the first time I felt "empty" in a while. I had eaten lots of IF yesterday. Now normally after that I would be afraid to eat more IF b/c I already had a bm, but I was brave and I just ate a plain bagel with LOTS of cantaloupe (maybe 1/2 cup or so). It used to give me d before but so far so good!!! Mabye that is the trick to do the same at dinner tonight and hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow with a regular bm again. I'll keep you posted. Just be sure you are having SF with your IF..not on an empty stomach.

Maybe someone else can answer your question about the peppermint capsules. I don't take them but I think I read that they should be taken one hour before a meal.

Hang in there and try not to let the IBS get you down. Everyone is here for you to vent whenever you need to. (Also...keep a journal of how your body is reacting to everything). Try to have a great day!

--------------------

Re: From "D" to "C"-Re Line 415 with thanks. new
      #301717 - 03/07/07 03:04 PM
GenieG

Thanks again, I'll give what you are doing a try, can't make me feel much worse, right? My Granddaughter is coming on Sunday to stay with us for 5 days(Spring Break) and I want to feel better than this. This morning after the several small BM's, I've had the feeling all day that I need to have a big one along with being very bloated, I sit trying but only teeny bits come out so obviously I'm backed up in there,it is so uncomfortable, I even had 1/2 cup of coffee hoping this would move it but no. Gosh how I enjoyed that coffe though,I drink lots of fennel, peppermint chamomile teas but I miss my coffe! I think tomorrow I'm going to buy some baby food veggies and see if they do any good. I did that years ago when I was having problems, cooked regular for my family and I ate baby or junior foods which did help me get back to a regular diet. This has gone on now since the New Year, I am beginning to wonder if I have a Bacterial problem in my intestines, last summer I had food poisoning whilst visiting family in England,we ate out in restaurants a lot and it was during their terrific heatwave, they aren't equipped to deal with such high temperatures as we are over here. I started with the gas and bloating then but it subsided, then at the beginning of this year I had another food poisoning bout or maybe it was a bug, which triggered the "D" cycle big time. So I decided to try Heather's "cures and diet", the explosive "D" has stopped and the doubling over cramps but now I have bloating, gas and irregular unformed BM's. Of course being anxious and depressed doesn't help, this Board is a tremendous help, none of my children live near me. Thanks "Line415" for listening and the good advice, I'll let you know how I do.

update on progress new
      #301906 - 03/09/07 11:06 AM
line415

Just wanted to update that increasing my IF has helped me to have a bm regularly for the past 4 days!!! Yippee! I also REDUCED my acacia again...1/2 tsp with each meal. This may not work for everyone, but like I said in another post, I don't view myself as being a true "c"...I am a recovered "d" so now that I am relatively stable, perhaps that's all I need of the acacia. Plus the lexapro and the Caltrate are probably adding to my c so it balances out. I am going to remain here (I definitely will not go any lower with Acacia b/c I feel safe having it as a buffer for each meal). I am not going to change my calcium supplement to a cal-mag ratio unless I need to. For now, I am having a happy week! How much IF if anyone wants to know? Here's a sample of yesterday's food:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins (I went back to eating them b/c I don't think it was the raisins that was giving me gas afterall...it was that I wasn't having bms I think)

Snack: cantaloupe, pineapple

Lunch: 1/2 PB and jelly on WW bread (yes, I can handle this along with the acacia and 1/2 banana

Snack: graham crackers, few pieces of pineapple

Dinner: Fish with risotto, broccoli

Dessert: Rice dream ice cream

--------------------

And to add...taking beano more religiously with dinner...definitely helps with gas n/t new
      #301907 - 03/09/07 11:07 AM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2466 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review