All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
a fun and helpful post (pls post)
      #301449 - 03/05/07 10:31 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

hi guys,,, i am still finding eating out quite difficult, literally just spent two hours surfing the net to look at menus and find safe choices! i thought if anyone who goes out to dinner this week, could post exactly what they ordered it might help me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thai Food new
      #301450 - 03/05/07 10:50 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Last night my husband and I split an order of eggrolls and chicken phad thai. Safe and it really hit the spot!

Grilled chicken breast new
      #301451 - 03/05/07 10:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I go out for dinner occassionally. I always order the same thing. Grilled chicken breast, rice and steam or boiled carrots. Even if it is not on the menu I can usually get the chef to prepare it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Thai Food new
      #301452 - 03/05/07 11:11 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

what are egg rolls? are they like spring rolls? (i always avoided them as figured they were fried?)

Sushi! new
      #301454 - 03/05/07 11:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not going out this week, but went out last week, and we had sushi - almost always our treat of choice, when we can afford to eat out.

I got my usual, the "Vegetarian Maki Set", which is three kinds of vegetarian sushi rolls - avocado, "salad" (lettuces, cucumber, sometimes scallion), and sweet potato - plus a bowl of miso soup and a small salad. The salad dressing is a little iffy in terms of fat content, but since the rest of the meal is so low-fat, I find I can eat it without problems.

Loooooove sushi!

Re: Egg Rolls new
      #301461 - 03/05/07 01:16 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Egg rolls are similar to spring rolls. Preparation does vary, so maybe they're not safe everywhere for everyone. These particular egg rolls have a little bit of cabbage and crystal noodles (clear rice noodles if I'm not mistaken). I believe they are fried, but they don't bother me at this particular restaurant.

Re: a fun and helpful post (pls post) new
      #301466 - 03/05/07 01:39 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

i usually get a turkey sub with baked lays and a bottle of water if I am going for a quick meal. If not, I usually get white pasta with chicken and tomatoe sauce (I can handle pasta sauce, some people can't)

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Ditto! new
      #301487 - 03/05/07 03:33 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My two most recent restaurant meals have been sushi. I usually get a side of white rice to eat while my friends are having soup and/or salad, though. VERY safe and VERY yummy!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Sushi! new
      #301490 - 03/05/07 03:44 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I go out most often for sushi. I always get miso soup, and a variety of sushi rolls. My bf usually gets some kind of full meal like teriyaki chicken to fill him up more and I'll steal a few bites of it. I love being able to order anything on a menu!

--------------------
Kat

rolls and eating out new
      #301494 - 03/05/07 03:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Only fresh spring rolls aka summer rolls are safe for those who can't handle fat.

When I eat out I still have to take peppermint capsules first and ask for food to be made with less oil/grease. Sometimes (especially if they don't speak good English) they don't satisfy my request. Noodles and Co always makes it how I like -with less oil- and a lot of their foods are safe. I love Indian food but everything has dairy in it. We ate there Saturday and I did fine with my tandoori fish, rice and spinach but DH got D!
The worst places for eating out IMO are pizza places, greasy sandwich places (like Potbelly), some Americana chains (Applebees is good but Champps is bad ), and Chinese buffet always makes me sick, even if I try to avoid the bad stuff. Thai and other Asian restaurants are good if you avoid coconut curries or deep fried stuff. Seafood places work very well. Broiled fish or cedar planked or fire roasted are your friends. Woodfire restaurants tend to work well. Big Bowl restaurant also has some great no grease meals. I find Asian is good because you never have to worry about dairy at all- except of course Indian food like I mentioned. Mexican is really hard, but I don't have much experience with it. Chicken or shrimp fajitas with no cheese and sour cream are safe. In general IBS has taken the fun out of eating out and I only do it when I have to. I prefer to cook a nice safe meal- nothing is really off limits when you can make it yourself and substitute as desired.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review