All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
a fun and helpful post (pls post)
      #301449 - 03/05/07 10:31 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

hi guys,,, i am still finding eating out quite difficult, literally just spent two hours surfing the net to look at menus and find safe choices! i thought if anyone who goes out to dinner this week, could post exactly what they ordered it might help me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thai Food new
      #301450 - 03/05/07 10:50 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Last night my husband and I split an order of eggrolls and chicken phad thai. Safe and it really hit the spot!

Grilled chicken breast new
      #301451 - 03/05/07 10:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I go out for dinner occassionally. I always order the same thing. Grilled chicken breast, rice and steam or boiled carrots. Even if it is not on the menu I can usually get the chef to prepare it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Thai Food new
      #301452 - 03/05/07 11:11 AM
keepsmiling

what are egg rolls? are they like spring rolls? (i always avoided them as figured they were fried?)

Sushi! new
      #301454 - 03/05/07 11:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not going out this week, but went out last week, and we had sushi - almost always our treat of choice, when we can afford to eat out.

I got my usual, the "Vegetarian Maki Set", which is three kinds of vegetarian sushi rolls - avocado, "salad" (lettuces, cucumber, sometimes scallion), and sweet potato - plus a bowl of miso soup and a small salad. The salad dressing is a little iffy in terms of fat content, but since the rest of the meal is so low-fat, I find I can eat it without problems.

Loooooove sushi!

Re: Egg Rolls new
      #301461 - 03/05/07 01:16 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Egg rolls are similar to spring rolls. Preparation does vary, so maybe they're not safe everywhere for everyone. These particular egg rolls have a little bit of cabbage and crystal noodles (clear rice noodles if I'm not mistaken). I believe they are fried, but they don't bother me at this particular restaurant.

Re: a fun and helpful post (pls post) new
      #301466 - 03/05/07 01:39 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

i usually get a turkey sub with baked lays and a bottle of water if I am going for a quick meal. If not, I usually get white pasta with chicken and tomatoe sauce (I can handle pasta sauce, some people can't)

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Ditto! new
      #301487 - 03/05/07 03:33 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My two most recent restaurant meals have been sushi. I usually get a side of white rice to eat while my friends are having soup and/or salad, though. VERY safe and VERY yummy!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Sushi! new
      #301490 - 03/05/07 03:44 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I go out most often for sushi. I always get miso soup, and a variety of sushi rolls. My bf usually gets some kind of full meal like teriyaki chicken to fill him up more and I'll steal a few bites of it. I love being able to order anything on a menu!

--------------------
Kat

rolls and eating out new
      #301494 - 03/05/07 03:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Only fresh spring rolls aka summer rolls are safe for those who can't handle fat.

When I eat out I still have to take peppermint capsules first and ask for food to be made with less oil/grease. Sometimes (especially if they don't speak good English) they don't satisfy my request. Noodles and Co always makes it how I like -with less oil- and a lot of their foods are safe. I love Indian food but everything has dairy in it. We ate there Saturday and I did fine with my tandoori fish, rice and spinach but DH got D!
The worst places for eating out IMO are pizza places, greasy sandwich places (like Potbelly), some Americana chains (Applebees is good but Champps is bad ), and Chinese buffet always makes me sick, even if I try to avoid the bad stuff. Thai and other Asian restaurants are good if you avoid coconut curries or deep fried stuff. Seafood places work very well. Broiled fish or cedar planked or fire roasted are your friends. Woodfire restaurants tend to work well. Big Bowl restaurant also has some great no grease meals. I find Asian is good because you never have to worry about dairy at all- except of course Indian food like I mentioned. Mexican is really hard, but I don't have much experience with it. Chicken or shrimp fajitas with no cheese and sour cream are safe. In general IBS has taken the fun out of eating out and I only do it when I have to. I prefer to cook a nice safe meal- nothing is really off limits when you can make it yourself and substitute as desired.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#301498 - 03/05/07 05:27 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

DH and I went out this past Friday for Indian.
I had:
Naan (ordered "dry", that is, without butter brushed on it)
1 Veggie Samosa
Vegetable Biriyani
Rice

Samosas are fried, so I always make sure to ask for the bread to come out first. I can tolerate the samosa as long as I get some SF in me first.
For the naan, we usually get the "bread basket", which has garlic, plain, and onion naan.
Vegetable biriyani is quite safe at this particular restaurant, although they sometimes put paneer (cheese) in it. If they do, I just pick it out.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#301517 - 03/06/07 03:10 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

One of the Japanese restaurants around here has the best Udon soup (thick noodle soup). I get the seafood one so it's packed with noodles and seafood and YUM! They also have vegetable Udon which is good. I can't have sushi right now while pregnant but you guys are making me want some!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#301519 - 03/06/07 04:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What's funny is that we've been going to this same Japanese restaurant for years, and we've NEVER had anything other than sushi, even though the menu is extensive, and some of the stuff sounds incredible. But I know they have udon, and I think I *might* try that next time, after your description of the stuff you get.

Of course, I say that now, but the lure of those sweet potato rolls is pretty irresistable. LOL!

keep em coming! thanks every1! new
      #301525 - 03/06/07 06:34 AM
keepsmiling

going 4 sushi tom! in italian restaurants is a no cheese pizza safe if base is dairy free ( i have emailed them and checked) ????

Edited by keepsmiling (03/06/07 09:10 AM)

#301532 - 03/06/07 07:17 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Hey, i can't be much help because honestly i have only eaten out once in the past 3 months, but i just wanted to say good luck and also, all these suggestions sound really good. i might just start eating out more. i live by a "beach" (its really a river) but there are TONS upon TONS of seafood restaurants here, so i can easily do seafood And theres a Subway less than 15 mins from my house, so that's an easy place to go too.

One thing I can give, i recently did go to IHOP and had great success there. I brought along peppermint tea and ordered hot water, I had an egg white omlette (it was MASSIVE, easily made two meals) and a fruit bowl (grapes, which i didnt eat, banana slices, and melon). There was also a seafood omlette and a couple of other things on the menu, but I only had about $8 to spend, and the omlettes alone are that much, and I wanted the fruit too lol.

Again, good luck!! And remember, the best thing you can do at a restaraunt is to have fun, don't worry too much about getting sick, because you will worry yourself sick! I do it all too often, but hopefully am learning my lesson lol.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#301542 - 03/06/07 09:06 AM
keepsmiling

thanks! i made a big mistake eating out on sat- i went to a country pub with my bloke and the waiter was really moody when i asked for hot water because they didnt sell herbal tea! the menu was really limited and because of being there with my boyfriend who offered to pay and the moody waiter i just didnt feel confident enough to suggest going somewhere else or ordering of the menu- i ended up having a homemade beef burger (yes i know, but everythin else was battered!) and gave the chips to my boyfriend but i felt anxious and within minutes my stomach started hurting and had d, i guess when you stop eating fatty triggers it is a real shock to your system when it happens, i mean before it would of kicked in later the evening etc. Anyway luckily i was ok and managed to get by taking some imodium , but made me realise its just not worth it! there seems loads of yummy things to try- esp japanese! i am off to a sushi meal tomorrow night!

Re: a fun and helpful post new
      #301550 - 03/06/07 10:20 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I've had Subway sandwiches, but I'm not wild about the bread. I like turkey sandwiches (mustard, lettuce, tomato, no mayo, cheese or onions) from a deli (like Le Boulanger) on a Dutch Crunch roll. I usually order the petite size (1/2 a sandwich). I also like Posh Bagel's turkey sandwich on a sourdough bagel (no mayo or cheese--just turkey, tomato and lettuce).

I love burritos from a local place where you can build-your-own burrito. I use beans and rice, lettuce and corn on a flour tortilla. No salsa. No cheese. I sometimes add avocado. Beans and rice don't bother me if I eat them occasionally and with a digestive enzyme.

If I'm on a restricted diet, I'll go to a Japanese restaurant and have miso soup and steamed rice. That's it.

There's a vegan place near where I live, and they make a steamed vege dish with rice and a side of sauce. I tell them to make it without the tofu, and not a lot of broccoli please. I'll sprinkle on some ground nuts for protein.

I've had take-out soup at Fresh Choice. I get the low-fat chicken noodle soup (it has huge homemade noodles in it). And a side of sourdough bread or a baked potato.

I don't know if these are particlarly great meals, but they don't cause problems for me. (IBS-D)

Udon new
      #301588 - 03/06/07 04:33 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Udon is my fav. I went to Japan when I was 16 and tried lots of stuff there that I liked and lots that I didn't. But the udon was one thing I never forgot. If you go to a good Japanese restaurant, the Udon soup is a meal in itself. It's a big ole bowl of noodles, etc. You eat the noodles and whatever else with your chopsticks and drink the broth out of the bowl. We will usually get some sushi on the side because we're salivating like crazy when we go in there but always wonder why we can't seem to remember how much food we get with the Udon.

Try it. It's not one of those acquired tastes...it's pretty mild tasting but yummmmmmmmy. Lemme know what you think if you try it.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Eating Out new
      #301589 - 03/06/07 04:47 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Since I am still having problems since my surgery, I haven't eaten out that much, like most of us I have to review the menu a dozen times. I have found that Outback has the absolute best baked sweet potatoes, get the cinnamon butter blob on the side, and don't use it!! They also have an awesome steamed veggies, carrots, squash, brocilli and rice. I love grilled shrimp, but I'm still debating if it doesn't love me....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1451 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4381

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review