All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Strange Question: Rotten Egg Burps
      #301407 - 03/04/07 05:50 PM
amontour

Reged: 02/12/07

I've had IBS since I was 5 and I remember having the problem many years ago, but it has started again. I noticed a "twinge" in my stomach last night and I knew I would have issues today. But, I didn't realize that my issues would include horrible "rotten egg" burps. Has anyone ever experienced this before. If you have, you know what I'm talking about and if you haven't, be glad you haven't. My stomach is cramping horribly. I have a lot of nausea, but have not been able to vomit and I have diarrhea. The "best" part is the horrible tasting, horrendous smelling rotten egg burps. My husband believes that I ate something that "died" in my stomach.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I can do to help it or prevent it from happening again?
My family is starting to disown me and I think I'm killing all of my houseplants.
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strange Question: Rotten Egg Burps new
      #301412 - 03/04/07 07:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

What kind of foods are you eating?

#301430 - 03/05/07 05:05 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Haha! I get this occasionally, but I have no idea what causes it or how to cure it. I've always been embarrassed to ask about it. I'm curious what other people have to say about, but you're not alone!

#301432 - 03/05/07 05:52 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I don't know if this will hep, but is it bitter tasting at all? If so, it could be bile. I hate my IBS attacks, but the bile-taste ones make me want to die! Nothing takes away the taste...just have to wait it out. I was having these attacks frequently. For me, it was the horrrible burps (with the taste that makes you cringe!) along with my pains in my side. Usually I'd get some IBS symptoms as well. I eventually found out my gallbaldder wasn't functioning and had it removed. That was a year and a half ago. About 6 months after the surgery, I got one of the burping attacks. I wanted to die! So, the surgery took away all of the pain associated with it, but the bile can still get backed up and cause this... I think that might be what it is. I like the 'rotten egg' reference...haha, it IS that bad! Anyway, one thing I do is take a phenergen for the nausea associated with it, and a reglan to push things down. It doesn't take it away, but certainly does help. Hope this gives you some help!

--------------------
IBS-A

#301444 - 03/05/07 08:40 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

My daughter had an attack of 'rotten egg' burps when she was four years old. I was so freaked, I called the doctor for a home visit! He said the smell was caused by sulphur and I realised that she'd eaten some dried apricots which listed sulphur dioxide as a preservative. She has steered clear of dried apricots and anything preserved in sulphur dioxode ever since, and hasn't had any more attacks. I think that other foods may also be sulphur-producing, too. Sorry that you are going through this. Hope it gets better soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2038 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review