All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What do you do when you become unstable or have an "attack"
      #301181 - 03/01/07 04:32 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have a question for those that have been stable then either have a bout, attack, whatever you call it, with their C or D, do you keep with the same amount of SFS the next day and there after until you are stable again, or do you cut your SFS down or out completely and gradually add it back in? Does this make sense? Just wondering what is the best for an aching tummy and becoming stable again after an attack. Thanks (Also trying to get everyone's mind off the milk posts)....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you do when you become unstable or have an "attack" new
      #301183 - 03/01/07 04:39 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

When I have an attack of D that lasts more than...say...the morning, I will go back to the BTC diet. Not for too long, tho, or things don't "firm up." I keep up with my Acacia tho. Also, eating smaller meals more often helps, to keep something in my tummy. And of course Immodium.

What's up with the milk posts? I'm reluctant to read them...seems like a hot topic!

#301188 - 03/01/07 05:06 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Thanks for the response, the milk posts are a dairy discussion.....it's getting scary, so I thought I'd start a new thread.....if I were you, I'd stay away, I only went there cause I'm looking for an alternative to my lactaid, since they are convincing me that even though it's lactose free, it's still dairy, so I'm going to try rice, soy just doesn't do it for me......

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#301219 - 03/02/07 05:37 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

When I have a D attack, I always go on BTC for a couple of days. And I make sure to snack allllll day long, usually on saltines and pretzels, maybe a banana too ( don't like them all that much) I don't know what Immodium is, so I don't take that. But I make sure to stick to my supplements. I actually don't have Acacia either, so I have to get some of that. What exactly does it do? And what is it? Powder or pill?

Yea those milk posts,, I've been reading them but not getting involved,,, I almost wanna just jump in and say "Everyone, just DROP IT!!!!"

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#301224 - 03/02/07 06:20 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Immodium is an over the counter anti-diarrheal. You can get it at any drug store. It's effective and safe. I've only had to use it twice, but it's been a life saver. I carry some with me even though I rarely need it, just for peace of mind.
Acacia is SFS. It comes in powder form to be mixed into liquids or food. There's a good explanation on this site and I think in The First Year of what SFS does.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#301226 - 03/02/07 06:35 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

When I have D, I drink lots of peppermint tea and try to relax. I also go to the BTC diet for at least a couple of meals, sometimes modified slightly (e.g., a small amount of nut butter and jam on my plain bagel) if the attack has been mild.
For C, I drink peppermint or fennel tea and add more IF to my diet to get me going.
If it's period-related, I also pamper myself shamelessly.
In general, if things start going awry, I make sure I'm getting enough sleep and exercise, and I try to alleviate any stress I may be under.
I keep my acacia dose the same no matter how I'm feeling. However, if I were to have a prolonged bout of attacks/destabilization, I would probably increase my dose.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#301246 - 03/02/07 10:13 AM
Digby

Try all the milk alternatives--oat, almond, rice. With cereal, I use the plain rice or almond. If I want to drink some from a glass (which is rare, unless I've had a yummy cookie), then I'll have the vanilla flavored. Also use that in my smoothies.

Acacia new
      #301247 - 03/02/07 10:15 AM
Digby

You can purchase it from Heather's Tummy Care. It's a powder. I add it to my drinks. I also put some my afternoon dose in bottled water so I can carry it with me (hiking or to work). It has no taste, it's a SF, and it helps regulate the bowels.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review