All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
periods
      #300917 - 02/27/07 11:36 PM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

ok- i know i am officially the girl with the most questions in the world! but its all new to me! anyway, i hope can talk about this free of embarassment.. i guess we're kinda beyond that now! i have my period this week, now ive always had d on my period, even before i was diagnosed with ibs, and so have my family (the women obviously!!) now i dont know what to expect really since this is my first period since on the diet (i also took my contraception back to back so its really heavy )i was normal yesterday and been this morning normal with some loose, so mega improvement on my normal d throughout the day! when i tried hypnotherapy i noticed it improved but not totally reduced d in my period, so just wanted some feedback from those who are stable- do you still have ibs symptons around your period? should i still expect symptons, or if i get d will it be something to do with my diet??
I also forgot my fibre supplement this morning i am going to take it when i get homee, but will exercising straight after, is it like food when you need to wait to digest it before exercisinG?

Edited by keepsmiling (02/28/07 12:50 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Honestly? new
      #300920 - 02/28/07 04:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've been stable for creeping up on 2 years now, but I STILL have IBS symptoms when I get my period. Not everyone does, but I think it's unavoidable for some of us.

On the bright side, my period-related flares are WAY less severe than they were back in the day. A huge improvement, even if they didn't go away completely.

Re: Honestly? new
      #300922 - 02/28/07 04:52 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

thanks for the reply! been feeling pretty rubbish today , i think my periods is just one of the things i have to accept ill still get bad with- still feel way better than previous months though!
if only there was something to stop me feeling so damm hormonal! just cried over some cheesy romance novel i was reading!

Re: periods new
      #300928 - 02/28/07 06:21 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I've been stable since around Sept. of last year, but I also still get symptoms around my period. They are usually much less severe now, though.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#300943 - 02/28/07 07:46 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I have been stable for almost 3 months but I ALWAYS have symptoms a couple days before my period and during the whole week of it. It's especially bad the first two days. I get insanely nauseous, have terrible D, no appetite (but I still force myself to eat bananas, toast, crackers, rice, basically everything on the BTC diet), and terrible cramps. A heating pad helps, and peppermint tea, but nothing completely relieves the pain or nausea, at least not for me, but I can't take painkillers because I'm allergic to NSAID's and haven't found anything else that helps. Tylenol doesn't do a thing for me.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#300948 - 02/28/07 08:33 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Yup, periods always upset my IBS. Over the last year or so, this has become much worse to the extent that I really dread the week before and during my period because I know my abdominal pain will be so much worse. I am IBS-C, pain predominant, and get very C and often quite nauseous before the period, but when it arrives, I usually empty out completely, then the pains start in earnest. The worse cramps and spasms are on days one and two, but it upsets my whole digestive system for much longer.

As I've posted before, a nutritionist suggested that I get tested for endometriosis, but as I was referred to a GI doctor, this didn't happen. From my own research, I have discovered that women with endometriosis may also have IBS.

The good news is that since I have followed Heather's diet and been taking amitriptyline (Elavil), period flare-ups have been less severe and not as long-lasting.Around periods, I take care to eat extra safely and keep up with the Acacia - and my best friend is definitely my heating pad!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1069

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review