All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I miss diet soda....!
      #300744 - 02/25/07 05:43 PM
mg

Reged: 02/25/07

Hi All - I'm a first time poster, long time viewer. I have suffered for a number of years and made it my 2007 New Years resolution to stabilize.... All is going very well, and I am loving the on-line recipes and advice. However, I LOVE diet cola and that is the one thing I am missing most. I have substituted caffiene free herbal iced tea, but there is something about the artificial sweet, carbonated, goodness of diet coke/pepsi, that has me hooked. Does anyone have a good substitute? I'm worried that I'll have to join "DietCokeAholics=Anonymous".... Thanks guys...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I miss diet soda....! new
      #300751 - 02/25/07 08:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There is no good substitute, I'm afraid. Sorry.

No matter what someone else might suggest, I can almost guarantee it's a trigger. Carbonation is a trigger (so even seltzer isn't going to be helpful). Caffeine is a trigger. Artificial sweeteners are triggers.

You'll get used to it in time, just like the rest of us have. That's about the best I can offer. Good luck!

#300806 - 02/26/07 03:43 PM
hazelnut

Reged: 11/13/06

Oh, I definitely feel for you. I was so addicted to Diet Coke before I found out it was a trigger. Seriously, I drank far more than should be healthy for anyone, with or without IBS. I would never ever have believed I could give it up.

But--the good news! I gave it up in November and don't miss it at all anymore! I don't even like the taste anymore--the artificial sweetener tastes gross now. Plus, now that I don't drink it, I've gotten much more sensitive to it, which is a good deterrent. I had some the other night when I was pulling an all-nighter (also bad for IBS...) and desperate for caffeine, and within two minutes was in the bathroom with an attack. Definitely not worth it!!

I still haven't found a really good substitute, though--I drink water most of the time (which I never used to, yay me!). Gatorade and Powerade don't seem to bother me, so maybe give those a try? 100% cranberry juice is also good in small quantities.

Also, for me it really seems to be the artificial sweetener that makes me sick--I've cheated a few times with a little regular Coke, and that didn't do anything. So if you're really absolutely craving Diet Coke/Pepsi and going to cheat anyway, try (a little bit of) the regular version first.

#300819 - 02/26/07 05:40 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I don't know if that would make sense, because I don't know enough about carbonation.

There used to be caffeine free Cokes. I haven't been to that aisle in the supermarket in awhile, LOL, so I can't be sure there still is. I'm hoping it's artificial sweetener free.

In that case, you can try getting one of these cokes, putting some sugar in until the carbonation is gone (so it looks flat... or shaking the bottle, and opening slowly and shaking again, and so on). Not sure if that would take care of the problems carbonation usually causes, but the bubbles would be gone.

I hope they don't make them with aspartame, though... Watch out for that.

#300820 - 02/26/07 06:02 PM
mg

Reged: 02/25/07

Thanks all for the advice. I'm really starting to like mint iced tea. I feel like a smoker trying to get over the physical craving for carbonation! But I feel so GOOD, it makes it a bit easier.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review