All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
IBS-C + binge eating...am I alone?
      #300606 - 02/23/07 01:07 PM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

I have been following the IBS Diet as much as I possibly can since early December but I can still go almost 14 days without a BM. This doesn't bother me particularly, it's the associated bloating that I find so frustrating to the point that I will sit and binge eat beacuse I know ultimately this will either force things to move or give me a D attack which will get everything out (sometimes I actually prefer having a D attack, as horrible as it sounds, because I feel such a relief). I do feel pretty awful for at least 3-4 days afterwards and have to go back on the BTC to settle my stomach again but sometimes I just see no other option to getting my bowels to open without using laxatives, some of which like lactulose make my bloating even worse.

I just wondered if anybody else does this or if I am the only one? The more I think about what I am typing I expect I am the only one because it is a pretty extreme solution I suppose. But I just get to the point where I'd rather have one huge D attack than 2 weeks of constipation and dreadful bloating.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C + binge eating...am I alone? new
      #300616 - 02/23/07 02:30 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

well, I've been a binge eater for a long time, but unrelated to my IBS. However, I too, have used a drastic solution. I know that I'm lactose intolerant. Before I started Heather's diet, if I went more than 2-3 days without a BM, I would drink milk or have some ice cream because, eventhough it was uncomfortable, it would get things to move. Since starting the Benefiber and Heather's diet, I never go longer than 2 days without a BM anymore.

#300619 - 02/23/07 04:28 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Are you getting enough IF in your diet, are you taking a SFS, are you drinking enough water, and are you exercising?

#300643 - 02/24/07 07:00 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I also have binge eating episodes, thought not necessarily for the same reasons. 14 days is a LONG, dangerous amount of time to not have a BM. I highly recommend you do a search on Natural Calm on this board; a lot of us (including myself) take it daily to relieve constipation.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#300761 - 02/26/07 04:26 AM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

Quote:

Are you getting enough IF in your diet, are you taking a SFS, are you drinking enough water, and are you exercising?

I do eat SF, usually in the form of fruit in my porridge such as raisins, blueberries, raspberries, peach slices, chopped nuts, linseeds etc (though not all at once!) and I also mix ground flax powder into it. For dinner I will usually mix peas or sweetcorn into rice or have other well cooked veggies. I also eat the skins on baked potatoes...I think this counts as IF?
I take Acacia fibre every morning in a glass of warm water before breakfast and I have started taking it at night in my soy or rice milk hot chocolate before bed.
I exercise fairly regularly (running about 5K once or twice a week) and I do yoga classes on Wednesdays, but I tend to practice yoga moves every day to try and relieve my bloating. I also have a fairly active job working in a cafe where I am constantly walking around.
Drinking enough water is definately a problem for me and I know I don't have enough during the day. I find it really difficult to get the daily recommended amount because fluid really bloats me out and makes me feel sluggish.

Lisa Marie, Natural Calm isn't available to buy in the UK but I have ordered MagAsorb (Magnesium Citrate) which Rio recommended.

Kamikat, I'm not lactose intollerant but if I am going to binge eat then it will usually be on dairy foods which are high in fat like yoghurt and milk chocolate. I long for the time when I will have regular BM's. It's now been 5 days...help

#300770 - 02/26/07 07:54 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yeah, in the past I went for (smallish) binges on fatty foods when the C got too much - not consciously, but that's what happened! Now that I'm way more under control, I might just have an extra piece of chocolate and then stop myself.

Anyhow, if fluid seems bloating to you, you may want to increase the amount of salt in your diet. That may help with the bloaty feeling. Also, you may want to consider a SF supplement like Acacia - even if I eat loads of bread, it doesn't make up for my 2.5 T of acacia I have every day.

Magnesium supplementation does work, at least for me.

--AC (IBS-C)

#300782 - 02/26/07 10:24 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

Lisa Marie, Natural Calm isn't available to buy in the UK but I have ordered MagAsorb (Magnesium Citrate) which Rio recommended.

I hope that works for you; I tried a "generic" mag-Citrate supplement before Natural Calm, and it just didn't work. You can always order Natural Calm online from the manufacturer's website.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#300793 - 02/26/07 01:32 PM
Hrts42

Reged: 02/26/07

I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you that you are not alone. I excercise, drink plenty of water & take fiber supplements & I still have this problem. Hope someone posts something that will help us both out.

#300794 - 02/26/07 01:36 PM
fee

Reged: 01/09/07

Yeah I binge. For me, it's to do with mood/emotions, rather than a way of managing physical symptoms (I think). Have you considered what's going on in your emotional life? IBS diet just too much for me at the moment...need to wait until I feel more settled. Hope this helps, and good luck!

#300795 - 02/26/07 01:48 PM
cacao

Reged: 01/19/07

i binge as well when im C because i want to push it out and because i become severely depressed. it drives me insane. i wish i could offer some kind of help but im suffering the same thing as well without any relief or solution so you're not alone even though that probably doesnt say much... hope it gets better!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review