Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just out of curiosity
      #300544 - 02/22/07 06:31 PM
fallrightinto

Reged: 01/18/07
Loc: 98366, Wa, USA

Just wondering what everyone did for a living/occupation

how do you deal with bad days, anxiety, etc?

How do you make yourself comfortable, calm, or routines?

Just a topic starter, I've been wondering for a while.

I personally am a cosmetologist, I do hair/waxing/makeup for a living, but am now out of work until more tests/medicines/anything helps me a bit more. I have a colonoscopy next wednesday, hopefully I can get some answers for once.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just out of curiosity new
      #300560 - 02/22/07 09:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm a Nanny. I really don't have much problem with anxiety since hypno. And I live just a few miles from home so I generally don't have to worry about traffic.

Good luck with the colonoscopy.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#300561 - 02/22/07 09:38 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I am an assistant manager at a clothing store...
I deal with bad days at this point by just getting through them. If I have to work, I come up with a treat for myself when I get home...a movie, a heating pad and tea can calm me down from a really rough "ibs" day...if I have the day off I like to go for a walk, do something that relaxes me like art work, or reading. As for anxiety..I am still battling it, tomorrow I have plans to go downtown to Vancouver. Which I havn't done since I first got sick about 5 months ago. I am excited thought, I feel good and havn't been sick in a while so positive thinking will win over anxiety..Positive thinking has helped me alot...mind over matter...

s.

#300569 - 02/23/07 02:57 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I am also a cosmetologist, but now I'm a stay-at-home mom. When I still worked in shops, my IBS and work was pretty easy. My attacks are always in the morning. Generally, by noon, I'm fine. When I worked in a shop, I always worked noon to 9pm.

#300576 - 02/23/07 06:13 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I'm a musician - composer and pianist. I support myself by working in records management at a Biotech company, though.
At work, I have this little mantra for bad days when I am running to the bathroom. "What happens in the bathroom, stays in the bathroom". In other words, as long as I can still be functional and productive at work, it's nobody's business how often I go and such. It helps that my desk is fairly near the bathroom. I also drink lots of peppermint tea, which really helps. Luckily, since starting the diet and SFS, bad days have become extremely rare.
At home, I have to admit, I'm pretty darn relaxed about bad days. In my own home, I have all the comfort and privacy I need and a very understanding DH. If I have to spend a lot of time in the bathroom, at least I get a lot of reading done!
So far, IBS hasn't gotten in the way of my music at all. I even gave a recital in January, and things went just fine IBS-wise (I did use Immodium as a preventative), and better than fine music-wise.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#300597 - 02/23/07 10:18 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

I work for the UK immigration service. My colleagues seem to notice my healthy food (were pretty much a grab a burger office) we dont get a lunch break but lucky we are pretty relaxed and as no one is chained to their desk, so I dont think anyone noticed when i had d attacks- i dealt with it by making sure i had immodium on hand and sometimes just shutting my eyes and deep breathing in the bathroom helped me get perspective. luckily my ibs-d has never been so bad that it interfered with my work, think it actually helps me switch off and ive noticed a lot of the time if you dont think about it it doesnt happen!

#300600 - 02/23/07 12:02 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I am currently a stay-at-home mom but when my IBS was really bad, I was in the teaching field. I had a few really bad episodes where I had to repeatedly leave my classroom, once with a lunch aide which of course was illegal but I had absolutely no choice at that moment. Then I worked as a consultant and I thought it would be better b/c I would have the freedom to run to the bathroom without having students, however, we ALWAYS had early morning meetings with parents and I was usually leading them so that was extremely stressful. I think that no matter what job you have, it can impact your life but if you let your co-workers know that you have a "condition" and then have a pre-set excuse for your customers, most of the time no one will even notice, or at least not as much as us IBSers do when we are having an attack. Stick with the diet and this site and your attacks should be few and far between, giving you much more confidence. Good luck with your colonoscopy.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#300621 - 02/23/07 04:40 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I am a sexual assault crisis counselor. I was a cosmetologist for 8 years and I also did makeup for film/tv.
I had a major career change after I went back to university. The exams and stress at college really exacerbated my GI issues. It wasn't until I hit 30 when my IBS went into full "explosion" (pun intended) That's when I got serious about taking care of myself, dig. enzymes and a probiotic. I would be even better if I could find the mojo to exercise...regularly. The colonoscopy is something I did in November. Peace of mind---follow the instructions about prep on this website. They help!!! Peace.....

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#300626 - 02/23/07 04:57 PM
ML

Reged: 11/03/06

I teach 5th grade and bad days are hard to deal with. We only go to the restroom when the bell rings as we can't leave 28 kids in a class unsupervised. I get through the bad spells with deep breathing, yoga and Immodium! Since I started the hypnosis tapes I've had MUCH less trouble.

I have a colonoscopy every other year as colon cancer runs in my family. I'm 42 and have had precancerous polyps removed twice. At least I know and can do something about it!

#300627 - 02/23/07 04:59 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

I'm a floral designer. Most of the time work isn't that stressful, it's kinda relaxing. However we do have our busy times, like Valentines Day, then it's very stressful. I have one of those big plastic containers, my co-workers call it "Shannon's little kitchen" and I keep my teas and snacks in. I always take my lunch and during Valentines Day dinner with me. It's also good to have a very understanding boss, mine's great. If I'm having alittle trouble in the morning I just call and let her know I'm gonna be alittle late. I also try to keep busy, so that I'm not thinking about whether I'm gonna need to run off to the bathroom. I was working full time and my IBS was worse, so last summer I went to part time, and I feel much better. I enjoy my job, so I'm glad I've found a nice balance. If for some reason I've had a bad day at the shop, when I get home I lie down with my heating pad and that always seems to work.
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1457 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review