All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New here and hoping for help with this...
      #300497 - 02/22/07 08:10 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
As I write this I am in pain/spasms. I was diagnosed with IBS 15 years ago and was put on Levsin and a diet in which bran cereal was a must. Oddly that daily intake of bran cereal helped to keep me on a daily normal stool with very rare flareups. And the flareups were quickly brought under control with an extra serving of the cereal for a day or two.

In the last 4 months however this does not work. And what is happening is that I will have what seems to be a normal stool but I will have to return in a few minutes to pass more which is somewhat looser and again until it is basically diarrhea and nothing is left. This then leaves me extremely sore and the next morning especially in pain that I can hardly move. The Levsin helps but it makes me very sleepy. I will not pass a stool again for a few days which is a welcome relief but when I do the same routine will happen again.

I cannot understand why this has all changed. I am lactose intolerant and avoid dairy at all costs. Today will be havin some white rice when I can manage to make it.
Does any of this sound familiar and what could be going on?
Thank you and bless you for this website...Virag

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here and hoping for help with this... new
      #300501 - 02/22/07 09:16 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

HIya, not sure if i can help, ive NEVER touched bran, im IBS-D and it scares me! anyway, i know in the past ive tried a fibre sup and it worked for a couple of weeks and then stopped, i read your body gets used to the type of fibre and no longer deals with it in the same way. this rung true for my mom as well as shed try things like wheat bran for her constipation and it woudld work and then stop doing so. i have had success so far on this diet, and im hoping that because im using so many diff types of fibre this time-bread, pasta, root veg etc that itll continue, so mayb try another type?
chin up, its so hard when u think your better and then it reverts to normal again thb, but youll get there!!!

Re: New here and hoping for help with this... new
      #300506 - 02/22/07 10:49 AM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I have no idea where to begin to find the culprit and especially because I know that stress can be a problem for IBS. And as it happens I am going through a very difficult time with my adult daughter just about the time my stomach started acting up. And it's important to know if it is stress or not. If it is food then I have to begin the process of elimination(no pun intended:)
If it is stress then I guess the solution is different.
The end result though is getting my tummy quieted and regular again.
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply...

Re: New here and hoping for help with this. LONG POST WARNING!.. new
      #300579 - 02/23/07 06:52 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

i know what you mean stress doesnt help either! for me its kinda combination thing, if i eat something bad ill feel bad, but then sometimes ill get upset and angry or if say in the past i had exams or broke up with a boyfriend then it would b bad regardless, this meant id get fustrated trying to work out what it was and then think oh im going to be bad anyway, lets got a bar of chocolate and a chinese! this WAS NOT the answer!!!
Now i listen to hypnotherapy cd and follow the diet- its been two weeks of normality so far! i dont know if its either or both but dont really care!
hypnotherapy might b a way for you to deal with stress? i listen to the cds but before i saw one in person and I found that I could eat out at a restarant and have trigger foods and id have only a little bit of d the next day- so hypnotherapy didnt totally work on its own, food still played a part, but at same time it wasnt just about a physical reaction as i had less d with the hypno. its like i went to a work thing and had small amount of triggers on wed but i played my cd and next day 2 of my bms were a bit loose but thats it.
its just about finding a balance for your life, ibs comes and goes in cycles, so you just have to believe this WONT be forever and you'll get a good cycle soon. rest as much as you can (yoga, cd etc) eat as well as you can and then accept that your trying your best but some things are out of your control and these things take time.

Re: New here and hoping for help with this. LONG POST WARNING!.. new
      #300601 - 02/23/07 12:09 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Of course you should have all the necessary medical tests to get an exact diagnosis of what is going on but yep, sounds like IBS to me. I used to have the same pattern basically...a horrific day of painful d which started out as a normal bm like you said and then each one would get progressively looser until I started having spasms that had me keeled over on the couch. Then after being "emptied", I wouldn't go for a few days and the cycle would start again. I believe this is better known as IBS-A but I considered myself IBS-D b/c I was never really constipated in between (A means you alternate between d and c). Sooo with that said, know that what you are feeling is not uncommon and can DEFINITELY be helped by following Heather's diet (maybe you need the bran to just make you go but with an SF buffer it might be more tolerable...or maybe skip the bran altogether). It's all trial and error but you are totally in the right place. Read as much as you can and be strict about your food intake. Consider an SF supplement. And again, be sure you get some medical advice first. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review