All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stabilizing details??
      #300492 - 02/22/07 07:31 AM
tanawana

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: youngstown, OH

I am about 4 days into the break the cycle diet and just started a SFS 3 days into it. I have both books of Heather's books and I keep hearing the word "stabilize".

What exactly does stabilize mean??

So does stabilize mean a normal BM or ??
Any help would be helpful

Edited by tanawana (02/22/07 10:46 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stabilizing details?? new
      #300539 - 02/22/07 06:03 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It varies from person to person. Basically, when IBS isn't ruling your life and you're feeling comfortable again, that's stable. For me, a couple flare-ups per year which I can get under control again pretty easily.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#300548 - 02/22/07 07:17 PM
tanawana

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: youngstown, OH

So, if one is trying the break the cycle diet for example - Is it is possible to not have a normal BM for months at a time straight before becoming more stable??

I't just seems so long since I have had what I feel is a normal bathroom trip, while it seems most others talk of having attacks and I guess that means they alternate between normal and otherwise?? Hopefully I'm makin' sense.

#300563 - 02/22/07 09:58 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Before I started the diet, I had D or looser than normal BMs all the time, combined with urgent attacks of D, nausea, cramping, etc. when I ate something really bad. Within a week or two after I started the EFI diet, the D started to go away and I just had the looser than normal BMs and occasionally D attack if I accidentally ate something bad. Once I stabilized (took a few months), my BMs became more "normal" (formed and regular timing). So, yes, to answer your question... it is quite normal to go several months before seeing "normal" BMs.

#300596 - 02/23/07 09:48 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hang in there. I started in early Oct. and it took me until Dec./Jan to say that I think I am stable. I was IBS-D/A and now I have more regular BMs (every day or every other day) but I still get gas and probably one day per week of multiple bms but not d. So I guess I'm not COMPLETELY stable, but compared to how I used to be, it is a Godsend. I am still trying new foods and the SF/IF ratio, even after all these months. So bear with it...it is soooo worth the long haul. And the good news is that you should see at least a small to moderate improvement right away which will keep you going. And keep posting questions. This site is great!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#300605 - 02/23/07 12:46 PM
Jennifer86

Reged: 01/01/07
Loc: UK

I've been meaning to post this same sort of question...

So can anybody who is IBS-C tell me when they consider themselves as stable? Do you need to be having a BM almost every day?

Thanks.

#300653 - 02/24/07 09:30 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

If you type in "stable" or "stabalization" in the search for all forums, you will find lots of discussion and explanation on what people consider stable for them, including number of bms. I personally wish I would have one daily or every other day but the range varies in all of us. As long as you are having them no more then 3 times/day or no less then 3 times/week, I would focus on how often you need to have them to feel "comfortable." Then you can adjust your diet accordingly. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4027 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review