All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IHOP????
      #300180 - 02/19/07 12:55 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

My family is going to IHOP tomorrow for breakfast and I was wondering if there is anything IBS friendly on their menus? I haven't gone to IHOP in 2 years, and at the time I didn't have IBS, or at least it wasn't very bad, so I don't remember what kinds of things are on their menus, besides Pancakes lol. Anyone have any tips? I was thinking maybe asking for an omlet with just egg whites or something like that,,, I dunno, I haven't ventured out to restaurants yet, so i have no idea what to do.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IHOP???? new
      #300183 - 02/19/07 01:11 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I would think the pancakes might be ok...depends on your personal tolerance. Def. egg white omlette, dry toast, fruit cups. Just watch anything fried, greasy. No bacon, meat, etc.

Do you have Heather's IBS book?(..not the cookbook.) It has a whole section in there about eating out.

Enjoy!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#300191 - 02/19/07 02:44 PM
oldestofseven

I thought pancakes were high in fat? And made with milk and eggs? But yea, I was definitely thinking the egg white omlette, in fact I found an online menu and it has a srimp and crab omlette which sounds perfect, I just need to make sure its only egg whites. For fruit, what kinds of fruit are ok? Cuz like, the IBS book (yes I have it, and have read it TONS of times, I even have notes and have underlined stuff all over it) says to be careful with melons, grapes, citrus fruits, basically everything except bananas and peeled apples, pears, and peaches.

I'm looking forward to going, but another thing is that we are going to an early morning church service at 7:30, and the church is a half hour away, so we have to get up at 6:30 to get ready, thats an hour earlier than I usually get up, plus I have a hard time in the mornings, lots of D attacks, so I'm really nervous about that. But hopefully everything will be fine.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Try taking Imodium the night before. new
      #300205 - 02/19/07 04:52 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

And if you are still feeling badly in the morning, take another half or whole dose, depending on how bad you're feeling.

I hardly ever go to restaurants (I prefer my own cooking), but when I do, I either eat before hand and just enjoy the company I'm in, or I take my own food with me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#300217 - 02/19/07 06:08 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

They have a "healthy menu" section now where it will list the fat, carbs, etc. I don't remember what's on there for breakfast, but it might be worth taking a look. You might also want to see if they have the menu online - that always helps me.

Here ya go:http://www.ihop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=2

Edited by Snorkie (02/19/07 06:10 PM)

#300228 - 02/19/07 08:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yeah, avoid the pancakes... you can make safe pancakes for yourself at home, but I'd definitely not count on the ones at IHOP to be anything that anyone could safely eat. That omelet sounds like a good choice. I've had luck ordering omelets made with egg whites or Egg Beaters just about everywhere I've gone... most restaurants are so used to restricted diets that it's just not a big deal. You should be fine!

Don't forget the unbuttered toast! (Jelly/jam is fine.)

The thing with the fruit is that it is insoluble fiber - it's ALL "safe" and "ok", you just have to eat it with care. If you're not used to eating it (raw fruits in particular), you might want to skip that for this particular breakfast. Unless you really want a banana!

Re: Try taking Imodium the night before. new
      #300239 - 02/20/07 03:28 AM
oldestofseven

Haha if only I would have read this last night before bed,,,, but I don't have any anyway. What does it do exactly? Well, so far so good, I've packed all my food for today (after IHOP we're going to two parties and wont be home til at least 8 tonight. YIKES!) and I haven't had any D yet, but then again I haven't eaten yet either, and I definitely need to, cuz not only do I get sick when I don't eat, I'm STARVING right now lol. Wish me luck!!! I haven't been away from home for longer than 8 hours since my IBS got bad, so I'm really scared, today I'll be gone for 13 hours at least. Ahhhh!!!

--------------------

Re: IHOP???? **SUCCESS!! :) ** new
      #300255 - 02/20/07 08:36 AM
oldestofseven

Yay, IHOP was a success!! When I first got there I asked for a cup of hot water to make some peppermint tea, drank that while waiting to order. I ended up getting an egg white omlet and a fruit cup. The fruit cup had banana slices, as well as grapes (gave those to my sibs) and sliced honeydew and cantelope mellons. I cut the omlet in half, ate one half and then ate half of the fruit. I brought the other half of my meal home. I'm so happy. I woke up feeling a bit sick but ate a bowl of rice chex and soy milk and snacked on some crackers and I was fine. Now I'm getting ready to go to a party, and I'm going to bring my own food to that. A PBJ sandwich and some pretzels and crackers should be enough, the party isnt as long as I thought, only a couple hours. Thanks for all your help, and thanks for taking the time to read this lol.

--------------------

Re: IHOP???? **SUCCESS!! :) ** new
      #300287 - 02/20/07 11:16 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

YAY! I actually wondered how it went for you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6017 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review