All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
eating out
      #300168 - 02/19/07 11:00 AM
keepsmiling

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: bham, uk

any good tips for eating out in restarants/ ordering a take away.. or is it the impossible dream?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eating out new
      #300296 - 02/20/07 01:29 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi one of the place i seem to do ok with is a place called lonestar I get the grilled chicken sandwitch plane with mushrooms and toms. Either the bake sweetpot or baked pot. I eat the pot first and then just half my sandwitch. It seems to set pretty well with me. Hope this helps.

#300504 - 02/22/07 10:11 AM
keepsmiling

well from the uk so i dont think ive heard of that? what about places in general e.g. chinese, thai etc. are they a big no no?

#300507 - 02/22/07 10:53 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Asian and Thai are great; they're two of my staples. Especially sushi. Asian restaurants rarely use any dairy products, but watch out for eggs (fried rice) and coconut milk (can be high in fat). Italian is good if you ask for no cheese. And anywhere that you can get a simple meal like grilled fish or chicken, potato, and veggies is safe. I'd stay away from Mexican food and pubs (things tend to be fried).

HTH!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#300508 - 02/22/07 10:55 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I eat out about once a week, with very little trouble. Take your time making your selection, read the menu carefully, and ask the waiter as many questions as you need to. If you're going to a less familiar restaurant, try to check out the menu a day or so ahead. This way you can feel confident that there are things you can eat. And if this turns out not to be the case, you have time to change your plans. When my DH and I were on vacation this past fall, we would ask to see a menu before sitting down in a restaurant. If the food wasn't safe for me, we left and repeated the process somewhere else. Bring peppermint tea bags so you can have a cup after your meal.
I usually do very well with Thai and Vietnamese, but I've had no luck with Chinese. Summer rolls/fresh rolls (as long as they have no pork) make safe and tasty appetizers at Thai and Vietnamese places. Make sure not to get anything with coconut milk, as it will be too high in fat.
Steakhouses, at least in the US, are suprisingly good options because they usually have baked potatoes as a side which can also be ordered as an appetizer. And they almost always have good, simple seafood dishes.
I do quite well with Indian, but I have to be quite careful about what I order. Vegetarian dishes have proved to be the best options. Make sure to ask your waiter is there is any cream or yogurt in the entrees. I order my naan dry (not brushed with butter) and get them to bring it first rather than with the entrees. Also, safety of the food can vary among restaurants, so if things don't go well with one place, try a different one.
Pub food can be trickier. Chips are right out, so if you can't get a substitution, just don't eat them. Veggie burgers are getting more common, which is a big help. Grilled chicken dishes are usually safe.

Take away is a great way to try something new, because you will be able to eat at your own pace, in your own home. So if things go wrong, you'll have plenty of comfort and privacy.

Remember to relax about eating out. My philosophy about trying something new (always staying within the EFI guidelines) is to worry as little as possible. Either it will go well or it won't. If things go perfectly, the anxiety will have been a waste of time and energy. If things go badly and it proves to be the last time I ever eat that dish/at that place, I'm better off having enjoyed every last bite.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#300577 - 02/23/07 06:33 AM
keepsmiling

thanks for taking the time 2 reply guys! me and my boyfriend have been cooking lots, but some times it nice 2 eat out. i used to feel so embarassed and silly asking waiter no butter on bread etc, but just going to go for it! im paying for it after all!!!

#300608 - 02/23/07 01:32 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I end up changing side orders and making all sorts of special requests. That's the only way I can personally eat out at all but I have other food problems - not just the IBS (which seems to be quite the handful even on its own!).

#300613 - 02/23/07 02:13 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I haven't eaten out much since my IBS got really bad, but recently I went to IHOP and had great success. I just asked for replacements and made sure to eat a good soluble fiber base before eating insoluble fiber (in this case, I had an omlette before the fruit) and I ordered hot water to make peppermint tea. The biggest thing is to not worry. I was up early with a horrible stomach ache and D attack because I spent the night worrying about it, but after that, I thought only about how much fun it was going to be, and I was fine Another thing is to plan out your menu before going if possible, it helps with ordering because you know already what kinds of questions you are going to have to ask instead of making the waiter wait longer than necessary lol.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1119

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review