All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-D and supplements survey
      #300036 - 02/17/07 11:35 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I was just wondering what supplements everyone takes and like what time of day, how often, how much, etc,, Like magnesium, triphala, flax oil capsules, enzymes, SFS, probiotic, acidolpholous, fennel tea, peppermint tea, peppermint capsules, digestive advantage, etc. (copied the list off of another post)

I thought it'd be nice to have everyone post it in one post so it'll be easier to bookmark the information.

Thanks so much!

I'll start off. And I'd like you all to tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or could add more/ less.

With breakfast I take 1 magnesium (250 mg), 1 Acidophilus, and 1/2 a multi-vitamin. With snack I take the other half of my multivitamin (I cut them in half because I can't swallow the whole thing). With lunch I take a second magnesium (i am working my way up to more, every two weeks I add a second one) and a second Acidophilus, also another half of the multi-vitamin. With my second snack i take the other half of the multi-vitamin. With every meal I take 2-3 digestive enzymes.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D and supplements survey new
      #300037 - 02/17/07 12:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Why are you taking magnesium supplements? Did your doctor recommend this? My understanding is that magnesium is given to people who are constipated as a stool softener/laxative, or to people who have a magnesium deficiency due to some malabsorption problem. IBS does not cause malabsorption. Since I have a tendency to IBS-D, I would never take magnesium.

Some multi-vitamins can cause GI upset and D. I have a really hard time taking them, but I know they're important especially for young women. It's probably good that you're taking yours in half-doses.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (02/17/07 12:11 PM)

#300039 - 02/17/07 12:34 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

Since I am new to this all I am still trying to figure out what will work best for me. But this is a pretty regular day for me and has started to get my ibs-d under control

I have a cup of peppermint tea and a glass of water with 1/4tsp of a fibre supplement in the morning (whether I eat breakfast or not), I don't take anything with my mid morning snack. With lunch I have 1/4tsp of fibre supplement. Depending on how I feel that day I will have a either a cup of peppermint tea or a cup of fennel tea (but I always have one or the other) With dinner I have the last of my 1/4 tsp of fibre supplement. I am drinking lots of water during the day as well which is good.

All of this together plus following the diet, light excersize and lots of sleep is making a huge difference in my ibs.

#300040 - 02/17/07 12:40 PM
oldestofseven

I forgot to add that I drink at least one cup of peppermint tea everyday, and I drink water all day long. I have a 32 oz water bottle, I drink at least 4 of them a day!! Lots of water lol. I also follow the diet to the letter, and I do light exercise, and get lots of sleep. Although, this week I haven't been able to sleep well, so I'm taking melatonin to help with that too.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#300042 - 02/17/07 12:43 PM
oldestofseven

I take them because my mom said that it helps with menstral cramps. You're supposed to take a lot of magnesium the week before your period if you get cramps because it helps with them. Not sure how, but several of her friends who are nurses told her to give them to me, so I take them.

My multi-vitamins don't upset my stomach at all, they just make me nauseas if i try to swallow the whole thing, plus my mom said to spread out the doses throughout the day, especially since I'm taking other stuff too.

--------------------

#300058 - 02/17/07 09:25 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

You might want to reconsider the magnesium. I am a C and I take it as a laxative. It works pretty well, like the prescription stuff (only it's more natural)

What quantities are ypu taking?

--J

#300060 - 02/18/07 04:43 AM
oldestofseven

I take 250 mg twice a day. It hasn't bothered me at all, in fact, I haven't had D in several weeks, and I've been taking it for three weeks now. I'm taking a natural one, don't remember what it's called, but my mom got it at the HFS. Maybe thats why it doesn't bother me, I don't know.

--------------------

#300067 - 02/18/07 05:31 AM
Jeio

Hmm, the RDA for magnesium is 300 mg a day if I remember correctly. Why are you taking 2? Not that it's a huge problem, I mean, I take more, but I do that because I am pretty C.

Well, that is strange, that it doesn't bother you... It could be that you are just eating so safe that it can't bother you... Or is it in conjunction with calcium (which constipates, so it might counteract the magnesium)?

Out of curiocity, have you found it helps with periods? I have a bad time with periods too, but haven't found much relief I wonder if anything could help at all.

#300088 - 02/18/07 11:10 AM
oldestofseven

I usually just take one, but the week before and of my period I take two,,, not sure why, just obeying my mother lol. Lots of her friends are nurses and all have suggested it. Of course, they don't know how it'll affect IBS, they just suggested it to help my period.

I don't take calcium, not yet at least ( I mean, its in my multi-vitamin, but I'm not taking a seperate supplement at the moment) so I guess it is because I'm eating so safely. I rarely cheat on the diet, and when I do, its after lots of SF.

I haven't noticed a difference yet, but I just started taking the magnesium three weeks ago and my period just came yesterday so right now I don't see a difference.

However, my mom went to the HFS yesterday and got a homeopathic remedy called Cyclease, you take two every 15 minutes for 3 doses, and it helps with the cramps. It's like taking a painkiller, only this is 100% natural. That has helped alot. You take it as long as the cramps last, for me its the first two days, so I'm still taking it, and I hardly feel the cramps anymore.

Also what helps is a heating pad. I have one that straps around my back so it stays in place and even puts pressure on my stomach, so that helps a ton. I would go crazy if I didn't use the heating pad. This one has an automatic shutoff after 2 hours, so I usually go to bed with it so I can actually fall asleep (otherwise I toss and turn all night long)

--------------------

#300107 - 02/18/07 04:46 PM
Jeio

Thanks I don't use a heating pad, but maybe I should try one. I usually just faint and sleep through the worst part... but sometimes I manage to take meds before fainting that will keep me conscious. What kind are you using?

About the magnesium thing... well, if you don't see any relief, you'd better ask some of those nurses what the effect of magnesium would be on your GI system.

About homeopathic medicine, well, unfortunately that is against my religeon so I can't take them... They seem to have a lot in common with ancient witchcraft and eastern religeons... Anyway, just saying... I'm not an expert on this anyway.

I don't understand why they don't sell Aulin over the counter, it's the most effective and powerful too painkiller (we had it back in my homeland sold OTC) for cramps... It's an NSAID, I think it's generic name is Nimesulide. For some reason they have banned it over here

#300145 - 02/19/07 08:34 AM
oldestofseven

Yea, definitely at least try the heating pad, it helps me TONS. I don't know what I'd do without it. I can't sleep with the pain, so if I didn't have that, I'd be up all night/day and probably have an even worse IBS attack. Today has been terrible enough, I woke up and barely made it to the bathroom (and my room is directly across the hall from the bathroom, literally like 5 steps), and it has been like that every ten minutes or so. Yuck.

I will ask them what the magnesium is supposed to do, but like I said, I haven't been taking it very long. Maybe my body just needs to get used to it, I don't know.

What religion are you? If you don't mind my asking. I'm Catholic, and anything that is related to witchcraft is against my religion, but homeopothy does not have any connections to withcraft,,, but I'm not going to start another debate, apparently they are looked down upon on this forum, as past experience has shown. I will say though, that my family, as well as every other Catholic family I know, uses homeopathy rather than typical drugs found at pharmacies. We've used it for years, and its highly effective. But again, I don't want to start a debate. If you don't use them, thats fine.

I think I'm allergic to NSAID's. I had an allergic reaction to Aleve, so I've avoided them since. So for now I don't have any painkillers. Ouch. My mom doesn't want me using narcotics, so I just live with the pain for now.

--------------------

#300174 - 02/19/07 12:17 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just read this thread and I'm curious too about the magnesium. I am IBS-D/A and I started taking Caltrate 600 plus vitamin D b/c I was informed (from people on this site) that calcium will help with D whereas magnesium will help with C. I started it along with stabalizing through diet and acacia but I do think it added to helping. That's interesting that the mag. doesn't bother you. It would probably send me right to the toilet! Anyhow, you can also try the thermacare pads (more expensive but portable) which are made for menstrual cramps. I put one on the first two days of my period too and the are a lifesaver!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#300177 - 02/19/07 12:41 PM
oldestofseven

You know, I'm starting to wonder about the magnesium too. I've been taking it for three weeks and never had a problem, but now, for almost a week I have had terrible D. I was stable for about 2 months, maybe more, but then starting last Wednesday or so I've been having terrible D in the mornings and at night. I don't know if the magnesium has anything to do with it, or if it's just my period makingn everything go out of whack, but I think I'm gonna stop the magnesium after this week and see what happens. Thats a good idea, portable is good for my family lol, always on the run (or in my case, always babysitting haha). I'll try it next time.

--------------------

#300274 - 02/20/07 10:37 AM
Jeio

Thank you very much for the advice! I am going to buy a heating pad later tomorrow (when I go shopping, LOL).

I am sorry about the D... well, it's most probably the period, but the magnesium might be "helping" in the sense it's making things worse...

The religeon thing -- well, these boards are just not for religeous discussions... of course they can't avoid favoring some religeon (as we've seen multiple times in the past), but the point is they are not dedicated to religeon, rather to IBS, LOL.

I am protestant Christian (to be specific, reformed, reconstructionist). Homeopathy (I was told) and the ideas it stems from, are ancient witchcraft related. YOu can find info about it on the internet. Just search "homeopathy christian perspective". I don't think I can support that by bying their medicines, plus if what I was told is true, it would be sin. I haven't had time to confirm that information, but I'm staying on the safe side

Anyway, I just came back from my exam, sorry I am so late with my reply. I had to study It said I passed it (unofficial score), but I'm pretty confident I did OK.

#306223 - 04/30/07 05:35 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

No, homeopathic meds are not related to witchcraft.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3306

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review