All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS, yeast and bread machines
      #299900 - 02/15/07 11:46 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question... please correct me if I am wrong (let me know if I should maybe ask on some other part of the board, or not ask altogether).

I bought a bread machine recently and I find the bread tastes very yeasty. Has anyone noticed this with bread machine bread? Is this bad for IBS? You can't smell the yeast if you make whole wheat bread, but when you make white bread it's terrible. And of course, I eat the white bread, while my husband enjoys the whole wheat...

So, anyone know if too much yeast is bad for IBS? What happens to the yeast when it's baked, does all of it die? Then where's the odor from?

Thanks... I am a terrible baker so any insights in this process will be appreciated.

--J, IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS, yeast and bread machines new
      #299921 - 02/15/07 03:23 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I been making bread with a bread machine for about 10 years. I have not encountered the yeasty taste. However, I always use yeast designed specifically for bread machines.

Here is the recipe I use to make sourdough bread. I add 3 1/2 tsp of Fleschmann's dry bread machine yeast to 3 cups white bread flour, 1 cup sourdough starter, 1 cup water, 3 tsp salt and 1 tbsp light olive oil.

If you don't have sourdough starter increase the flour to 3.5 cups flour. You might have to adjust the water a bit.

Unfortunately I cannot eat whole grain bread so I cannot help you with problems associated with high IF flours.

Yeast is completelty by the baking process

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#299978 - 02/16/07 09:35 AM
Jeio

Thanks, Syl. I don't eat whole wheat bread either, but my husband does... I just tasted it once and it tasted OK (and the white bread has the distinct yeasty taste).

The machine I have is a small one and I suppose it doesn't let the dough rise enough time... I do use the right yeast... I use much less yeast than called for as a matter of fact, following the advice of other users of the same machine. It still tastes yeasty, though.

Does it matter, though? Do you think it could bother my tum? I don't put any fat in the bread, just flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water...

I can't return this machine now, though, because my husband is addicted to the ww bread it makes, LOL, so I have to figure out a way to use it to make bread for me

#299979 - 02/16/07 09:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have never found that the bread I make causes any tummy problems. My bread maker rises too many times - 3 to be exact - I wish I could select an option for 2 rises

I guess you will just have to play with the amount of yeast.

Out of curiousity how much yeast do you add for how many cups of flour?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Yeast amount new
      #300002 - 02/16/07 03:56 PM
Jeio

3/4 teaspoon yeast per cup of flour (after you do the math, I mean. I add 1 teaspoon yeast for the 4/3 cup of flour the bread maker asks for... as I said it's a small one)

Ha-haaa, 3 times! Wow! I suppose, you can always bake it in the oven after the second rise, but that defeats the whole idea of a bread machine, doesn't it...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review