All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any tips for good time to take SF supplement for first time???
      #299762 - 02/13/07 10:01 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

I have just got my first powder SF supplement. I have figured out the dosage, and how often to up the dosage. what I am wondering is if there is a better time than others to start taking the supplement. Im assuming if i take the proper 1/4 tsp dose im not going to have a reaction right away...i don't eat breakfast either..so if it should be taken in the morning with food i may have a . Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to start taking the supplement tomorrow

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any tips for good time to take SF supplement for first time??? new
      #299782 - 02/14/07 07:18 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Since your meals will have plenty of naturally occuring soluble fiber, taking the supplement between meals helps ensure that there's SF in your system on a regular basis throughout the day.(That's my understanding, anyway.)

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#299802 - 02/14/07 09:48 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

What I do is, I take a teaspoon with each major meal. My snacks have enough SF (they are mostly SF anyway, unless I am eating an apple, which I don't do as much in this freezing weather)

If you don't eat breakfast, you could try having 1/3 of your dose with water or whatever you drink in themorning (IBS safe)

Then another 1/3 in the afternoon and 1/3 in the evening. I think spacing your doses is better, in terms of not shocking your system with too much SF all at once.

Did you read Heather's book (or did you read through www.helpforibs.com)? You have to also switch to the EFI diet to see improvement (and even that's not guaranteed). THat includes eating smaller portions more often during the day. I try to make 5 meals -- breakfast, lunch and dinner and two snacks inbetween.

Good luck
--J

#299868 - 02/14/07 10:26 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

since stumbling across this website about two weeks ago i have done both the btc diet and now the efi. I am noticing a huge differnce already.
Getting lots of sleep, eating very carefully and strictly, plus excercise is making a difference...all i have left to do is add the supplement.
i keep coming across posts by people who over do the supplements they are taking and in turn get sicker and i am trying to avoid that.
i def. need to work on eating more often, the amount of food i can handle at one time is still iffy. and i still fear getting sick at work if i eat too much.
i think taking 1/4 tsp three times a day is the best way to start. dividing it up during the day also makes the most sense...

thanks for the tips

#299877 - 02/15/07 06:52 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I'm glad you saw such improvement You seem to be on the right track. Heather's books are great, and I highly recommend reading them. They just give you all the information you need to control your illness.

About eating, if you're finding it hard to limit your portions, thy this: you take a normal plate and fill it with food as if it was a normal portion. Right bevore you eat it, you split the portion in half and put one half in the fridge. That's an old "dieter" tip my mother uses (she wants to lose weight, LOL)... Eventually you end up used to the lesser food.

Also, try eating slowly. You will be surprised to find how little food your body actually needs, but how much it takes in, because it doesn't react as fast as you eat. So you might still feel hungry, even though you have enough food in you, just because you ate too fast for your body to realize it was already fed enough.

Not just for the sake of portion control (I mean, I don't advocate losing weight or anything, it's just the IBS safe way is to eat small meals often), but also because you will have chewed your food more thoroughly if you eat more slowly. That makes it easier to digest.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review