All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
True new
      #299456 - 02/09/07 08:04 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

You are right, but that same thing goes for all IF. We can't say that we MUST endlessly avoid things for fear they might possibly hurt us.

Everyone should be able to decide for themselves whether they are up for the risk. And most people are up for the risk for things like peas and green beans, although they have been known to cause gas, and cramps in many IBSers. If you are a D, then you don't even need the IF they contain. Thus they are on the same grounds as dairy -- you don't actually need them (you will do fine without them), but they are nutricious... so a moment when you try them usually comes.

We should not forget that dairy avoidance puts a pretty large strain on budgets, and not everyone can afford to do what I did, that is following EFI to the T and trying all kinds of things (dairy substitutes, butter substitutes, wheat substitutes, organic food, cooking everything from scratch (that's time expenditure), and so on). My food/health bill rose 3-4 times when I started EFI.

It is not a minor issue, that's what I am saying. Avoiding dairy has a price and if done without a reason "just because someone said so", one pays. I don't want to see people suffer and be unable to buy important medicine because they are avoiding dairy and trying to get their protein and whatnot from other sources (not to mention some people are used to having their cereal with milk rather than water, that is preferences). I don't want, and I believe noone wants, to hear stories about someone who would not be bothered by dairy, but avoids it religeously, and because it's so expensive to do so, can't afford to buy their AD medicine, or laxatives or something like that.

In addition, some of these dairy alternatives have gotten pretty bad reviews. Take soy milk for example. All the controvercy about soy, well... who knows if it's healthy? To me it seems like it's not. Why jeopardize your health when you might not need to (why drink soy milk when you might be able to drink milk?)

I am all for guidelines and I believe Heather is right that you should avoid dairy, but I think you should only do that initially. If you KNOW you are lactose intolerant, of course you're not going to try dairy. If, however, you are not, then ONCE you stabilize, try it. That's what I did with corn. I stabilized and tried it. It was terrible. I hardly eat corn now (super small quantities, super well boiled, etc)... if that happens to you with dairy -- at least you know you are not wasting your money on dairy subs. If not, well, you can get back to spending less money on food. And you can stop drinking substances with extremely negative reviews. When I stopped avoiding dairy, my food bill went back to 1.5 times what it was before IBS (still higher, because of the other things I have to avoid). I never drank soy milk (it tastes awful to me) but I tried rice milk and it constipated me even more. No good for an IBS-C...

Just saying. Avoiding dairy has a cost. Educating people so that they can take an informed decision concerning what to do with their diets is what Heather does. I just wish that same principle be applied to all foods indiscriminately (rather than as now -- if it's dairy or MSG or maybe HFCS, don't even mention them)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: True new
      #299462 - 02/10/07 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Jeio - the research literatures supports your point of view that is to say not every IBSer has problems with diary but many do. Similarly not every IBSer has problems with fructose. And not evey IBSer can tolerate soy products. You are right. We have to remeber that the EFI is a set of guidelines not a set of unbreakable rules

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I'd agree.... new
      #299463 - 02/10/07 06:45 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

My doctor also said that FF dairy is more tolerated by IBS patients. He highly recommends Activia. They (or maybe just my grocery store) has recently come out with a FF Activia. I have been eating with for 3weeks. I find that I am much more stable with the Activia. In the end, my doctor said that IBS is individualized and that some may tolerate it and some may not.

Re: Dannon Activa for gas and bloating?- High Fructose Corn Syrup! new
      #299464 - 02/10/07 07:46 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I've tried these and they didn't really work for me. I don't recommend it, not because it's yogurt, but because it has High Fructose Corn Syrup: A BIG no-no! I can tolerate yogurt and other dairy, so I eat regular, cultured, plain yogurt for probiotics (from Stonyfield and Trader Joe's). Most people on these boards can't tolerate dairy, so be careful!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

Re: True new
      #299470 - 02/10/07 10:56 AM
Jeio

Thank you. I have not checked all the research about that, that's why, thank you for that comment.

However, I tend to trust mu doctor, since she has IBS (she has it much worse than me, btw, I'm just a "mild case" compared to her) and is up to speed with the clinical literature. If she sais that FF dairy should be OK (and she did all my bloodwork, I am not lactose intollerant, no protein/enzyme imbalances and so on), I believe her.

I am just trying to raise some awareness that the EFI guidelines are not guidelines only concerning everything but dairy, but apply as GUIDELINES (not rigid rules) to dairy as well.

#299471 - 02/10/07 11:01 AM
Jeio

HFCS is a no-no only if you have fructose sensitivity.

Would you say honey is a no-no for IBS? Because honey is as troublesome as HFCS (it's another high fructose thing, potentially worse than HFCS in that regard)... the fact it's "natural" and has a "from the countryside" appeal does not make it OK.

Most people are not fructose intolerant/sensitive, thus most people should do fine with HFCS in moderate quantities (also with honey, fruit, etc in moderate quantities, LOL). Of course HFCS often comes with things like carbonated soda (bad because of the carbonation) or fatty items (bad because of their fat content), or items with high IF content. The HFCS, however, is usually not the problem in those items. Unless you are fructose sensitive, of course.

Again, HFCS avoidance has a price. You have to think about it and weigh whether it's worth avoiding it if you are not sensitive to it.

#299472 - 02/10/07 11:02 AM
Jeio

Wow! I am so glad for you!

Could you please post the ingredients of the activia you are eating? If it's not too much trouble of course.

Thanks a lot!
Jerry

#299477 - 02/10/07 12:25 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

HFCS also causes obesity.

#299483 - 02/10/07 03:14 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

cultured grade A non-fat milk, inulin, water, fructose, corn starch, modified corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural vanilla flavor, sodium citrate, malic acid sucrose.
I have one regular fat prune flavored left, so here are the ingredients to compare regular with FF.
cultured grade A reduced fat milk, fructose, plum, sugar, modified corn starch, prune puree, whey protien concentrate, kosher gelatin, natural flavor, carmine (for color) sodium citrate
So, the regular is higher in fat, but the light has Splenda. For me, the Splenda isn't a big deal. It's listed last in the ingredient label and I only have one serving of this per day.

Re: Dannon Activa for gas and bloating? new
      #299493 - 02/10/07 09:35 PM
dolls

Reged: 09/20/06
Loc: New Jersey

I bought it, ate one and died..gassie.

--------------------
I sell artist dolls

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9770

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review