All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
been reading boards regarding GERD & gastris......confused help?
      #298774 - 02/02/07 06:44 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

This all started with two weeks of nausea (no vomiting) that would last most of the day. I'm an IBS-A and have been stable, no changes to diet. I posted "feeling bad in the morning" got a suggestion on the SF and stated taking it, was feeling better, but only for short time, so went to dr. today. Doc said it was GERD and gave me prilosec. I don't know anything about GERD so I did a search here on the boards (doc wasn't very helpful). I'm still not sure what the difference is in GERD and gastris (hope I spelled that right). Do they have different symptoms? Is there a different eating plan if you have GERD? Will the prilosec cause D? Does IBS cause this condtion? I've noticed that alot of IBSers have GERD or gastris. It took along time to get stable and now with this, I'm just not sure what to do next. Any and all help would be greatful.
thanks
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: been reading boards regarding GERD & gastris......confused help? new
      #298801 - 02/03/07 12:42 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I can't quite clarify for you b/c I'm not sure myself, but I can tell you that the doc did an endoscopy (went in with a tube through my throat) and looked at my stomach. He saw inflammation which he described as gastritis. My symptoms are nausea after eating a spicy food or too much food or no food at all (I guess too much acid churning). I am under the assumption that this is different from GERD which seems to impact on someone's esophagus and has more like a heartburn feeling. But again, I have no clue if that is the right difference...just how I view it.

To answer your question about IBS, I had IBS for a very long time before getting the gastritis so I don't know if the two are related. However, I think in general us IBSers just have a very sensitive system to EVERYTHING especially related to digestion. It seems a lot of us get other symptoms more easily too (nausea, chills, fever with d, etc.). It really stinks, yes, but at least it makes sense when you don't feel well.

Hopefully you got some info from your search about what to not eat with these conditions. If you click on my name (line415) anywhere on the screen, you can look up "see all user's posts" and then you will see some info I have added to the boards about my experience. Feel better and don't give up on the SF. Are you IBS d or c or a? I took Nexium not Parlosec (spelling?) and I can only say that I am unsure if it increased the d since I was having so much d then before following the diet. Maybe keep a journal.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#298936 - 02/05/07 08:10 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I have had both and still have GERD so maybe I can help you. GERD is caused by too much acid in your stomach and sometime a weak stomach flap, I know it has a big medical name but I cannot think of it. I take Prevacid daily and still have breakthough attacks. Gerd is like heartburn but sometimes your food or bile will actually come back into your throat. I have had my doc tell me that they can wrap the stomach flap tighter and that will alleviate a lot of my problems. Eating too much, tight clothes that put pressure on my stomach and citric acid foods really irritate my GERD. Gastritis is inflamation of the stomach lining. I had the EGD, light scope ran into my stomach, and they said it was red and irritated. I mainly switched from Advil, Motrin type pain relievers to Tylenol. The GERD also irritated the gastritis since the acid bathed my stomach on a continious basis. I took a medication called Karafate, which coated my stomach, thrity minutes before I ate and at night and it helped the gastritis to heal.
Hope that helps.

#298956 - 02/05/07 09:52 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I can't add anything more to the discussion on the difference, but I, too, have GERD. I was on prilosec for a year and a half, and then aciphex for another 8 months. The aciphex seemed to calm things down enough that, with a change in diet, I only occasionally take prilosec now. Spicy isn't a trigger for me, but citrus and tomatoes are, so I minimize or avoid them. With tomato sauces, I know that a good SF base will help a whole lot.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#298988 - 02/05/07 01:30 PM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

I'm glad to hear you healed your gastritis, is there no cure for the GERD? Will I have to take the prilosec for ever or will it get better? I've been taking it for two days, and I have to tell you I feel much better, not quite normal yet. As long as I'm eating very small meals every couple of hours I feel okay. I have a follow up with the doc on Friday, and I'm gonna ask about gastritis, because if I have both I'd like to try the medication you used to get rid of your gastritis. Thanks for the info, I really needed it, the food info is good to. thank you thank you
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5032 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review