All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I really didn't think I would be in this position again.
      #298530 - 01/31/07 05:52 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I was doing great with my routine. 2 - 3 Regemint caps a day and one probiotic. Eating all non-trigger foods and mostly SFs with ISFs. I always eat with plenty of bread before the real meal. Well, Friday I made my homemade fresh clam sauce with linguine and a piece of oven breaded fillet. Well, the D started 10 minutes after eating and I have been unstable since. My son and 3 of his friends came home from college to pick up stuff so Sunday we had a nice dinner with my usual traditional bowl of macaroni with lots of bread with a very small chicken meat ball. 10 minutes after finishing, the cramps got so bad, I had to run and I disappeared for a 1/2 hr. The D wasnt terrible but it was alot and painful. Last night, my homemade no-fat chicken soup and oven chicken, broiled sweet potatoes and steams string beans with lots of bread went right thru me. I THINK IM BACK TO SQUARE ONE. I am soo disappointed. I started to make plans to go out and LIVE again, but now I have to cancel. I cant take a chance being out in public with this. I am actually stunned. Today I am stuck home for sure because my husband took my car to work. Im going to eat plenty and more things like oatmeal (I was always afraid of it) but of course it will be all of the things in Heathers diet. The fluids I have been drinking are water, unsweetened fruit juices (mostly cranberry blends),teas, not black only herbal or rooibos and once in a while soy in my cereal (never milk).I have been trying to gain weight and thought I would because Im eating more and keeping the food in....but nothing. I would love some input and advice. Thanks,
Joanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I really didn't think I would be in this position again. new
      #298550 - 01/31/07 08:31 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

So sorry to hear you are having a bad time. I know - it seems so much worse when you've felt well for some time.
Try not to be discouraged. You aren't really 'back to square one' - you have just experienced a setback.

Although I am IBS-C, my attacks consist of pain, pain and more pain. When this happens (and I am very rigid in following Heather's diet all the time), I blame it on stress (even a build up of minor stresses) or hormones. Don't know if that could be the case with you? The only things that I would have concerns about in your diet is unsweetened fruit juices and rooibos tea. I know that cranberry blends are supposed to be safe, but I avoid all fruit juices. And I used to live on rooibos tea (I haven't drunk proper tea or coffee for years), but I noticed that it seemed to make a touchy tummy a lot worse - could be too much tannin? I only drink peppermint, fennel or chamomile teas now.

You could try the BTC diet for a couple of days.

Hope you feel better soon.

#298566 - 01/31/07 10:42 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Oh, I am sorry to hear that... I just destabilized too (I am officially BTC since this morning)... maybe it's something external (my mother usually starts with "Oh, it's the sun, or the weather, or something", LOL).

What were your portion sizes, dear? Could it be that, because you were trying to gain weight, you ate larger portions? Large portions also trigger IBS attacks as you know.

I think I destabilized because of that. I simply don't have the time to eat that often... I have to find it, though, because I can't live like that.

I have never drank juices (don't like cranberry and the rest are not safe) and I avoid soy not only because I hate the taste (but that's enough too), so I can't be of help there. I eat oatmeal and it helps me...

Did you start the BTC already?

--J

#298637 - 02/01/07 06:11 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Heather said rooibos is ok, its the black and green teas decaf or not. I have been fine for a day now, no BM yet and I dont understand it. Yesterday I ate no nos like cheese and cookies(not together) and I ate the same pasta dish as I did on Sunday....NO REACTION. What gives??!!

#298651 - 02/01/07 09:08 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

If you are not stable and still eating no-nos then they could catch up with you. I find that sometimes the reaction is culmulative or takes awhile to kick in. I am not trying to be mean because I have my moments where I think I can eat unsafe foods and get away with it. Eventually, it catches up to me and the pain is not worth it. If you are feeling terrible I would go to a safe diet and stay with it for a few weeks to a month to get stable before trying to cheat.
I also wanted ro mention that I am baffled sometimes as well as to what exactly set my stomach off. I think it is just part of the annoyance of IBS sometimes and there isn't always an explanation. Many other factors also come into play (stress, hormones, weather, etc) so it could not be related to what you are eating.
Hope you feel better soon,
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#298666 - 02/01/07 12:20 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

You are very right. I am unstable now (since the day before yesterday) and am still in pain although I eat BTC and I don't cheat. I hope it goes away with perseverance.

There are moments when I can eat unsafe stuff (in small quantities) and get away with it though. Now is the time when I eat safe stuff and still get sick. IBS is pretty cool, huh.

Wow, weather can set IBS off? What kind of weather?

Thanks
--J

#298668 - 02/01/07 12:27 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

In my experience if I get too hot I can get a D attack! sounds weird but I swear it has happened lol. I guess in this case it is not the weather directly, but the effects of weather that can lead to a bad tummy.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#298670 - 02/01/07 12:40 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Could it be the clams were bad? Seafood is a common problem for food poisoning. If others ate the same dish and were fine, then it's proably not that.

im the opposite lol. new
      #298671 - 02/01/07 12:45 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

for me, if I get too cold I get a D attack. Its been going on for a few years now, every winter I have to stay inside all bundled up because when I get cold I have terrible stomach pains and lots of D.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Weather and IBS new
      #298707 - 02/02/07 07:32 AM
Dave K

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Brooklin, ON

I thought it was just me but I would feel really sick if out in direct sunlight on a hot day for over an hour or so. It happened on my honeymoon (don't get me started about how sick I was then), at friend's cottages, and just around the neighbourhood. Anyone else making this connection too?

--------------------
Dave IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review