All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D since gall bladder removal?? Using fibre
      #298358 - 01/28/07 06:51 PM
teacher26

Reged: 01/28/07

I had my gall bladder removed 11 weeks ago. A few days after I started having diarrhea, usually a few times in the morning and maybe later in day too. It was not after every meal like some gall bladder patients. My surgeon denyed it was anything to do with the gall bladder missing (!!)

My GP dr did all sorts of stool tests and blood tests to rule things out and then suggested I had IBS.

She put me on Konsyl-D fibre to bulk up my BM's. I take 1 rounded teaspoon (regular kitchen utility teaspoon)before breakfast and another after dinner.

This has caused the BM to not be watery but they still seem unformed and loose. Then some times I will go 2 days with no BM and then on day 3 have a little one (little soft balls joined together). Then the next day I will do what seems like a large amount. Then once a week I might have a slight sore tummy and have quite a loose BM. Nothing seems very consistant.

A week after the operation and again recently I had a bout of watery diarreah which left me feeling really ill for the morning and I slowly came right during the evening,but had to spend time in bed becasue I felt so bad. Both times my GP said i had a virus. If it were only once I would believe her, but knowing the symptoms were identical 2 times it seems hard to believe it was a virus. I cannot work out what triggered this - it wasn't a certain food.

The Konsyl-D gives me 3.4g psyllium per rounded teaspoon, which gives 2.7g fibre. So that means I get 5.4g fibre per day.

Do you think my inconsistant BM's are because I am not taking enough fibre? If I were to up the dose would it make me more regular and more formed BM?

Sorry I have so many questions, I just seem to be overwhelmed by these symptoms and not being able to get help from my Drs.

Personally I don't think I have IBS. I think that was just an easy label for the Dr.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D since gall bladder removal?? Using fibre new
      #298383 - 01/29/07 08:10 AM
yvette71

Reged: 10/04/06
Loc: Salem, MA

I'm wondering if you've tried the drug Questran? I beleive it should "bind" all that extra bile that's dumping into your gut. It comes in individual packet form and you mix in either OJ or applesauce. I was on it for a little while until tests ruled out it wasn't extra bile in my gut....just IBS

i've heard of others who've had diarrhea once their gall bladders were removed...its a bit of a mystery why it happens....but you're definitely not alone with that.

Hope you find some answers soon

--------------------
IBS-A (Currently in stuck in heinous IBS-D land)

Heather please can you help: Using fibre new
      #298402 - 01/29/07 12:29 PM
teacher26

Reged: 01/28/07

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do think it is the dumping syndrome. I know that I can get something like questan but I think that is more for the poor people who have to run to the toilet after eating. I don't seem to have this problem, mine seems erratic, mainly morning.

Heather: Please could you look over my fibre intake and see if I'm doing things OK. I just have no guidelines from my Dr about how much fibre to take to get the D under control. Even though it is more "formed" I still have the urgency.

Thanks

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review