All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is home-baked bread better than store-bought?
      #298241 - 01/27/07 08:28 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I have always baked my own goodies (ie muffins, cookies, ect), but generally don't bake white/french, ect bread. I tried making a french bread recently, and while it was very yummy, it was very messy. I was wondering if there are IBS benefits to home-baking. Does anyone here bake all their bread? Is it better for your tummy than store-bought (assuming the store-bought is safe)? Is it cheaper than store-bought? Is it worth it to spend the money on a good bread maker? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is home-baked bread better than store-bought? new
      #298244 - 01/27/07 08:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I do all of my own bake - bread, buns, muffins, loafs, etc - because I can control the ingredients. I never purchase these baked items.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#298323 - 01/28/07 07:45 AM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

I only bake the breakfast breads in Heather's book, I just don't have the time to bake reg. breads, so I treat myself once a month (I live on bread & water the first day of my period)to zingerman's breads. They have a good variety, the best is the Better than San Fransico Sourdough Bread. They are alittle bit expensive, but they come with freezer bags and instructions on how to freeze and store them. They last along time. Check them out at zingermans.com. It's a nice treat.
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

#298325 - 01/28/07 08:01 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I *love* my breadmaker. I just made a French bread last night...did the dough in the machine and baked in the oven. No mess with the breadmaker. Plus, there's nothing like fresh, warm bread from the oven. And, it made awesome French toast this morning.

As for the IBS benefits, you know exactly what's in there. And you can always add acacia, if you use it.

#298332 - 01/28/07 09:38 AM
shannonm

Reged: 01/27/07
Loc: maryland

I have a breadmaker, but it didn't cook the bread good (it was small and flat)you said you baked the dough in the oven, is it better to do it that way?
shannonm

--------------------
IBS-A

Bread Makers rock. new
      #298335 - 01/28/07 10:39 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I scammed my bread maker off a family member who bought it when they were new and exciting and has since rarely used it -- so it's a good one for a VERY low price. You might also check a thrift store or two.

To me, it's definitely worth it. I try to bake at least a loaf, maybe two, every weekend. I can buy decent bread at the grocery store, but it's expensive -- we don't have a good bakery in town. By baking things myself, I can control the ingredients and play with the recipes.

I bake the bread in the oven, though, and not the maker. I think it tastes much better. Instructions from "The All-New Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook" (Tom Laclamita):
Quote:

[Use the dough cycle.]
While the dough is still in the pan, punch it down with your knuckles. Scoop the collapsed dough from the pan and place on the floured work surface. If sticky, sprinkle lightly with flour. Since the gluten is taut, let the dough rest a few minutes. If you find, when working yeast dough, that it keeps on springing back when stretched, let it sit a few minutes longer to allow the gluten to relax. Once the dough begins to cooperate, you can begin shaping it. ....

Place the shaped dough in or on the appropriate pan and cover with a clean kitchen cloth. ... The dough should rise in a warm (80-90 degrees F), draft-free location until doubled in bulk. This can take anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours. ...Lighly touch the shaped, risen dough with your finger tip. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen sufficiently.

I put the bread on top of the stove, which is on an inside wall, with the oven already preheated (it's COLD here in the winter) -- that seems to work well. A friend of mine microwaves a cup of water and then uses the slightly steamy, warm microwave as a "proofing box." I don't have a microwave, so I've never tried that. I usually bake at 350 (the recipes rarely specify) and for about 40 minutes to start. According to the book, an instant read thermometer should read 180-190 degrees (F), and/or the loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#298337 - 01/28/07 11:09 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I like them both ways, but if you do it in the oven, you can get the artisan bread effect! I did the laziest variation of the bunch and just left mine in a ball so it came out as one of those round types rather than the tradition baguette form. Hubby *loves* this one that's baked in the oven. He was the one that requested it to go with last night's dinner, so that's why I made it.

Did you try your breadmaker more than once? Wasn't sure if it always came out that way....my manual has a trouble-shoot section in the back that explains why something could have happened. Maybe you can check why yours came out flat and small in your manual?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review