All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
6 week body makeover issues HELP
      #298181 - 01/26/07 03:34 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I've not visited the posts in a very long time. I've been feeling really good - following Heather's suggestions and taking Xifaxan. I can count on one hand the number of episodes I've had in the past 8 months! (Yay for me!). THEN I went and screwed up. I need to lose at least 30 lbs. I saw the 6 week body makeover by Michael Thurmond informercial and ordered the product. It's a real all or nothing kind of program. Here's what I'm eating. Breakfast: 2 oz protein (usually egg whites) and 1/2 c (applesauce)fruit. AM Snack: 2oz protein (turkey breast) 2 oz fruit (cantaloupe) Lunch: 2oz protein (chicken) 1/2 c carbs (potatoes or white rice) and 1 c veggies (carrots) PM Snack 2 oz protein 1/2 c carbs Dinner 2 oz protein 1/2 c cabrs 1 c veggies and PM snack 1/2 c fruit. No salt, sugra, alcohol allowed. I eat every 2-3 hours. I feel bloated and full. My stomach is gassy. I either have diarhea or I'm constipated. It's just like before I started feeling better. I've lost 10 lbs BUT I'm miserable. Can anyone help - Heather maybe you can chime in. THANKS! Sorry for the long post.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 6 week body makeover issues HELP new
      #298204 - 01/26/07 07:06 PM
wendyc

Anybody out there know any way to help with this? I'm really suffering.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#298206 - 01/26/07 08:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, the obvious solution is to go back on Heather's diet. What you're describing is lacking in soluble fiber, and I'm sorry to put it bluntly, but as long as you eat like that, you're probably going to continue to feel like crap.

Actually, the real problem seems to me to be the breakfast and AM snack - neither one of those have soluble fiber. Yes, technically applesauce is SF, but eating just egg whites and applesauce for breakfast, without any kind of bread, would even upset my guts, and I've been stable (and pushing the boundaries a little, shall we say) for a year and a half now.

As far as "carbs" go, you don't say specifically what's allowed in this plan, so of course I have to ask. If it's whole grain - i.e., brown rice, for example - that might be causing you an additional problem, by being too much IF/not enough SF to buffer for the rest of the meal.

Also, you mention this "product" that you ordered. Is that the diet plan itself, or is it a supplement of some kind? If it's a supplement, stop taking it.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm down on this "program", but the truth is, I AM. None of those supplements and plans do anything but empty your wallet (and, in our case, screw with your guts!). I'd be especially suspicious of informercials - their sole goal is to sell something, and their "testimonials" are ALWAYS paid actors. The only thing that really works is self-control: eat less, exercise more. People can and do follow the IBS diet and successfully lose weight.

So if I were you? I'd start over with the IBS diet, starting with "what to eat when you can't eat anything", and work from there, to re-stabilize your insides. Then, as you add more diverse foods back in, just watch your portion sizes carefully.

Good luck.

#298226 - 01/27/07 04:12 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

atomic rose said it best. This diet doesn't work for people with GI issues. A good friend had lost about 50lbs using the 6wk body makeover system (BTW, it also includes a specific fitness regimine for different body types). After seeing her results, she let me borrow all her stuff and figure out my own diet for it. I hadn't been diagnosed yet, but after one wk on the plan, I had lost some weight, but my clothes fit worse because my belly was so swollen. Are you in medical danger, ie diabetes, close to a heart attack, ect and need to lose a lot of weight? If not, I would say go back to Heather's diet and just watch portion control. Count calories and measure everything you eat. If you are burning more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, even if it's much slower than the 6wk body makeover plan.

#298231 - 01/27/07 06:27 AM
Pami

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: New Jersey

Wendy - is there anyway that you can "tweek" it a little bit? Add a piece of toast or something and change the fruit to a more gut friendly one? You may not lose as fast, but it may make you feel better. If it doesn't work, I agree with Atomic Rose about the portion control idea.

--------------------
septic hip with birth of daughter - 7/99
hip replacement - 9/03
MS limbo since 5/04
dx IBS
dx compressed L7-8 and T4-5
dx RLS

#298281 - 01/27/07 03:24 PM
wendyc

Thanks so much for responding. I know everyone is right. I'm not in any physical "danger" from the weight but to be completely honest was looking for a QUICK way to lose it. I just got married (made it thru everything with no stomach issues just to show you how stable I WAS) and we want to start working on a baby really soon. Only thing is I'm afraid to get pregnant being heavy bc I'm afraid it will be just that much more difficult to lose the weight after. I was doing Weight Watchers for some time and that was easier on my stomach bc I could eat very well from what Heather recommends but the weight loss was so SLOW. I know it didn't take overnight to put the weight on so I won't lose it overnight I'm just frustrated. I guess I'll call tomorrow and tell the 6 wk people that I'm sending the kit back. I may also use the "tweaking" suggestion and do what I need to do to help me feel better. I'm so disappointed - I thought I finally found the "thing" that would work for me and it's making me miserable instead. Guess I have to go back on the self control and exercise system. No magic potions! Thanks for the advice.

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

#298351 - 01/28/07 05:01 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I've been quite happy with WW. Yeah, it's slow, but they say that if you lose it slowly, you're more likely to keep it off. As for getting pg when you're overweight, I was 75lb overweight with each baby. Each time, I gained only 10lbs, which came off the day the babies were born. I lost another 50lbs breastfeeding #2 (#1 couldn't do it), but gained it all back when he was weaned. If you can learn the WW behavior modification now, you can be healthy while pg and breastfeeding.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5695 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review