All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy -dairy free margarine?
      #296242 - 01/12/07 07:58 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Can anyone who avoids soy tell me what type of margarine thatu they use = does a bit of soy in the margarine make a differencein cramps and bloating - is it as hard on the system as straight soymilk? Thalnks. Debbie IBS_C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy -dairy free margarine? new
      #296257 - 01/12/07 08:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I actually use Smart Balance Light - it has to be the LIGHT one, not the regular - it's definitely dairy-free, and as far as I know it's also soy-free, but double check before you buy it. I don't avoid soy, so I don't know for sure.

I would logically think that the soy in the margarine is such a small amount that it wouldn't make a difference, but remember that margarine is still fat, which is also a trigger, so it may bother you in different ways.

#296266 - 01/12/07 09:37 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I use Earth Balance, which is entirely dairy-free. I'm pretty sure it contains some soy, but I don't have an issue with soy and can't speak to that. I do know that if I go overboard with the margarine, though, the fat will trigger discomfort.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#296331 - 01/12/07 07:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Smart Balance light contains soybean oil and soy lecithin. I don't think I have ever seen a soy and dairy free margarine. So for those with soy allergies it would be a hard one. Otherwise the bit of soy oil in margarine shouldn't bother anyone. SBL is the best margarine for regular use since it is the lowest in fat. Earth Balance and Willow Run (is that what it is called?) are higher in fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I also use Earth Balance. It's quite good. n/t new
      #296341 - 01/12/07 09:41 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review