Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Malabsorption of fats?????
      #296092 - 01/11/07 12:20 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

Hello everyone,

Recently I had an appointment with the gastrenologist clinic at the Seattle VA and during my conversation with the doctor (Dr Grady) he mentioned that I may have a problem with malabsorption of fats in my diet. I am not any expert in medicine and forgot to ask but does that mean that I may not have IBS????

Last summer I had to have major surgery to bypass several blockages in my Aorta Artery. I have mentioned this before, and also have had a foamy and rather strong horrible ordor diaherra. That is the reason that I went to the Gastrenologist, because I have had the diaherra since last July, and this is January of the new year (2007). I did not consider this to be normal.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this???

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Malabsorption of fats????? new
      #296117 - 01/11/07 02:09 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Try digestive enzymes.

#296118 - 01/11/07 02:15 PM
Lummi Beader

Hi Joanne,

What type of digestive enzymes????

The doctor had the lab take several tubes of blood and a stool sample from me and said that these tests will help them to fix what is wrong. He suggested that this maybe a result of the malabsorption being hidden due to the severe shape that my intestines were in from the lack of circulatory blood. I have been very ill and unable to eat properly even with this sites diet and help. I am better than before finding this place, but I kept saying that there was more than one problem.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#296129 - 01/11/07 02:51 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Do you have any gall bladder problems?

What does it mean that "you may" have those problems -- it must be easy to identify, did your doctor run all your bloodwork?

#296134 - 01/11/07 02:56 PM
Lummi Beader

I have no problems with my gall bladder, but that is what I had thought with the light color of the stool. You no with no bile distribution there.

What I think he was saying is that the malabsorption of the fats may have been there all alone and just hidden by the more severe problem with the vascular system in the intestines. Before my surgery last July, I was constipated constantly, 24-7. After the surgery, I became a diaherra machine.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#296137 - 01/11/07 03:09 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Wow...

Well, then you have two problems right now:

1) Identifying whether you do have a malabsorbtion (that I guess, will be done after the blood gets analyzed)
2) Understanding how to eat so you don't get any more of those things in your Aorta. Do they think your condition contributed to that?

OK, well, I haven't heard of fats malabsorbtion, but here is what a quick search found:

Quote:

Lipids

A lingual lipase is responsible for the first partial hydrolysis of triglycerides; this enzyme becomes active in persons with low gastric pH levels and is active even in premature infants. However, the largest part of triglyceride digestion is accomplished in the duodenojejunal lumen because of a complex of pancreatic enzymes, the most important of which is the lipase-colipase complex. Like amylase, these enzymes also develop slowly, and this accounts for the known low capacity of babies to absorb lipids, termed physiologic steatorrhea of the newborn. Additionally, adequate concentrations of intraluminal conjugated bile salts are needed to form micelles, and the secretion of bile acids may also be partially inadequate in very young patients.

Disorders of these processes can be congenital (cystic fibrosis and Shwachman-Diamond syndrome, which cause lipase and colipase deficiency; the uncommon isolated deficiency of lipase and colipase; the extremely rare congenital primary bile acid malabsorption, which results in low bile acids concentrations) or acquired (secondary mostly to disorders of the liver and the biliary tract or to chronic pancreatitis). Clearly, any condition that results in the loss of small intestinal absorptive surface also causes steatorrhea.

Hmmmm... I checked the glossary... new
      #296141 - 01/11/07 03:23 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

but there wasn't anything specific about fat malabsorbtion. I do know that all people with IBS have trouble with fats. Any type of fat, not matter saturated, un or just plain healthy is a trigger, and should be eaten in small amounts, and carefully.
Have a look at your diet and see if there is too much fat in it. I know my worst 3 triggers are dairy, fats and whole grains. You didn't have your gall bladder out, did you? Cause if you did, that's another whole ball of beeswax.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Hmmmm... I checked the glossary... new
      #296423 - 01/13/07 06:38 PM
Lummi Beader

Hi Alicia,

No I still have my gall bladder. I am just beginning to recover from a 7 yr stint with this eating problem. I used to be able to eat anything and loved all kinds of foods. I was diagnosed with IBS in 2001 and started visiting here around then, and found that many of the problems I was having was due to diet and after I got that under control I found that I was doing better.

Well, at least I thought I was doing better and had decided that if this was going to be a life altering event that I would have the IBS, instead of the IBS having me. I never suspected that there was anything wrong with me. You will of course understand my shock, to find out last June that I needed to have surgery to fix several blockages in my Aorta Artery (the one that goes from the heart to the legs and main body). I was admitted to the hospital three weeks prior to my surgery so that they could feed me through an IV and "beef me up", so that I would have a better chance of surviving the surgery. I was so malnourished that my body was eating itself up and the doctor told me that I would be dead by Christmas if I did not have the surgery.

Up until that time I had figured that I had IBS with Constipation. So on July 24th I had major surgery and two weeks later the diaherra began. It was and is a foul smelling nearly white colored poop. I have also been having cramping and bloating and gas. One of the bypasses is still a little swollen and the doctor said it will become flatter in 3 to 6 months.

Other than that I have been doing fairly well. I appreciate any help that any of you can share with me.

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#296424 - 01/13/07 06:41 PM
Lummi Beader

Ok thanks for that information.

Now if I could just get that in normal "IBS for Dummies" translation I might be able to understand what that said.

LOL

--------------------

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#296437 - 01/13/07 09:35 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Yes, I second the digestive enzymes. I have tried Multi-Enzyme by GNC. They seem to have many different enzymes...especially important if you're trying to figure what you are having trouble digesting. Any thing that is cooked lacks enzymes. Humans make less of them as we age. I prefer to go the natural route first...my GI said they were fine provided I was feeling better. I had huge problems digesting most foods (I was D big time) and now I am normal, like clockwork every a.m with normal consistency. I would also try a good probiotic, they seem to work together within your GI tract, replacing bad bacteria with good. The enzymes are usually taken prior to a meal, and I usually take 2 at a time. They have changed my life to pretty much normalcy...but as always, do your research. Everyone is different but alot of people have had success with these. Good Luck....Peace.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review