All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tylenol, Advil, etc
      #296073 - 01/11/07 10:59 AM
Dave K

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Brooklin, ON

Could just be me.... but I have a feeling that these types of medicine are IBS triggers. Am I totally off base? I have suffered through several headaches as I was too afraid that the medicine would cause worse IBS-D then the headache itself.

--------------------
Dave IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tylenol, Advil, etc new
      #296076 - 01/11/07 11:17 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

No, I think you're right on track. Tylenol seems to be the one most doctor-recommended as "stomach safe."

I've had IBS in varying degrees of ickiness for 20 years. The trigger for the never-ending bout that finally led me here (after almost 2 years) was a bad contact lens prescription that caused headaches that led me to take aspirin on a daily basis. Bad times for the tummy.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#296124 - 01/11/07 02:44 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Advil is an NSAID (ibuprophen) and is bad for the stomach. If you have gastritis with the IBS (like me), then it would definitely be a trigger (it is for me )

Tylenol, or paracetamol, I don't know. Supposedly it does not bother the stomach, but I think it causes problems in the intestines.

For the record, I am IBS-C... Advil causes me stomach ache. Tylenol, doesn't cause much, but I don't really take it anyway.

#296179 - 01/11/07 05:10 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

They do cause some problems for some people, but ironically Advil stops my D when the Red Army comes to town.

#296182 - 01/11/07 05:24 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I have no trouble whatsoever with tylenol. I do also take Aleve, but only when I get cramps from the red menace. Naproxen is supposed to be pretty harsh on the tummy, but so is the red menace, so I can't really tell how much of an effect the Aleve may be having. Besides, I honestly would really rather have a little diarrhea than the several hours of severe pain I would get with the cramps.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#296302 - 01/12/07 02:35 PM
Jeio

Naproxen is an NSAID and they are all harsh on the tummy. It does help menstrual cramping though and is the only thing that sort of works for me

#296321 - 01/12/07 05:21 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Yeah, I had some very bad experiences before Naproxen was available over the counter, because nothing else would touch the pain. I once suffered through six straight hours of very bad cramps, and one bout of such severe cramps that I literally could not walk.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#296349 - 01/13/07 12:53 AM
Jeio

I know what you're talking about... Sometimes, I don't have the ability to take medicine(such as when I don't have any of it)... then, I usually faint...

Is there anything else that's effective? In most of Europe, there is a very strong pain killer, it's called Aulin (generic: Nimesulide) and is basically a very strong prescription NSAID. I can't go back that often any more, however, to restock, so I am looking for something to replace it.

So, is there anything strong and effective in the US? I mean as effective as Aulin, it helps the pain super quick and super well.

Please excuse me for highjacking the topic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3673 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review