All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I disagree new
      #296047 - 01/11/07 08:25 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I know for a fact that lactose-free dairy products make me quite ill, and I am NOT lactose-intolerant or "allergic" to dairy. Anything that contains casein (or whey, etc.) is off-limits for me. I discovered that the hard way after eating (multiple times) rice cheese that contained casein. I thought it was safe until I realized what was in it!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I disagree new
      #296193 - 01/11/07 05:59 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Rice cheese is a perfect example of something I have tried with traces of dairy. I can't recall exactly how I felt....no attack. That's why I posted the question. I am gassy on and off but that's so common with IBS and with the other foods in my diet, I never know. So I guess what I'm saying is, if I do not get d that day or the following day, can I assume that the dairy trace is tolerable for me? Jeio...how much dairy to you have and do you take any enzymes before drinking milk?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#296202 - 01/11/07 06:39 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Dairy can cause bloating in people who don't even have IBS. Personally I am not lactose intollerant, and I do not do well with any form of dairy whether or not the lactose is removed. Trace amounts of dairy don't normally cause me to have a D attack, but definetly cause bloating, cramping and discomfort.

If you want to play around with it and see how much you can tolerate, then eat only foods you know are safe for you, try some dairy and see what happens. I know I can tolerate a mouthfull of milk chocolate after a safe meal, but I can expect some discomfort or an attack if I eat any more than that.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Still don't get it Heather. Can I eat rolled oats cereal for Breakfast? Other questions too. new
      #296205 - 01/11/07 07:10 PM
carla23

Reged: 07/27/06
Loc: upstate ny near syracuse

hi
i understand totally about the foods we are able to eat, you have had ibs for about as long as me, and i never dare go too far, or out to eat because of my stomach pains. i have been getting better at turning down foods because i know the agony it will cause, do you ever find that you have your good days, or bad? or just sometimes get bored w/the same foods to eat, that seems to be my problem, what do you have for snacks? thank you
carlene

K2 new
      #296271 - 01/12/07 09:54 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

That's interesting about it not causing d but bloating and discomfort. I have kept what you posted in mind about the "gas building up to d." That happened to me last week...not a true d attack, but just a day of multiple bms that I think were a result of too much gas build up. (I think it all started from my overindulgence of Soy Delicious peanut-butter zig-zag one night. It bothered me that much that I actually just threw the container away. I'm not taking any chances.) I will try at some point some dairy traces but try to isolate them so I can pinpoint how I feel. I am having so much anxiety this week/panic about IBS...I don't know what's going on. (You'll see from some of my other posts.)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Still don't get it Heather. Can I eat rolled oats cereal for Breakfast? Other questions too. new
      #296299 - 01/12/07 02:32 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

Crackers or Taralli which is an italian pretzel with fennel seeds. What is there to snack on? Last night for the first time in a month I ate 2 lean grilled lamb chops for dinner with safe side dishes. They were sooo good. Two hours later I started with the cramps but I had a normal bowel movement but it was uncomfortable. I'm going to be good again.

#296306 - 01/12/07 02:57 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I have at least 2 cups of milk a day (one in the morning with my oatmeal and the other later in the day) and also I don't avoid stuff that has dairy, such as cheese (but it's usually goat milk or sheep milk cheese). I eat cheese with almost everything (old habit) especially with potatoes, that is with my SF bases.

Isn't rice cheese also high in fat? Could you list the ingredients?

I don't take enzymes, no.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3023 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2935

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review