All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GAS ADVICE
      #295312 - 01/05/07 06:44 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

CAN SOMEONE HELP- IREALLY WONDER- I STICK W/ THE DIET- AND STILL AM QUITE GASSY- I HAVE HAD A COLONSCOPY- EVERYTHING IS FINE- I HAVE IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME- I USE BEANO WHEN I EAT CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES, AND DON'T EAT DAIRY-don't eat wheat, no soy-no garlic, onions and on and on. SO WONDER WHAT TO DO? HELP I am following the diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GAS ADVICE new
      #295316 - 01/05/07 08:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

Do you peel all of your vegetables and keep IF as low as possible?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#295331 - 01/05/07 09:36 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Are you using a SFS, like Acacia?
Are you exercising daily?
Are you eating lots of small meals instead of a few large ones?
Have you tried the hypnosis CDs?

All of the above have worked wonders for my gas!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#295336 - 01/05/07 09:54 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Have you tried fennel tea? I and several other people on the board have found it incredibly effective.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

SFS and gas new
      #295343 - 01/05/07 10:31 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Acacia helped your gas? For real? Are you taking a lot of it to get this result?

Every SFS I've tried has increased gas.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Me too-nt new
      #295345 - 01/05/07 10:31 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: SFS and gas new
      #295384 - 01/05/07 02:14 PM
Lisa Marie

yeah, I really do think it's helping. My gas isn't nearly as bad as it was before I started the Acacia. I can't remember - have you tried Acacia specifically? All the commercial ones DID make my gas worse; Acacia's the only one that's helped.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#295466 - 01/07/07 05:54 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

yES, i HAVE DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE- NOW ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE IBS 100 TAPE? HARD TO BELIEVE THAT GAS IS FROM NERVES ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FROM WHAT YOU EAT????
HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD THIS?

#295481 - 01/07/07 08:03 AM
Rissa

Reged: 11/28/06

I missed whether you were IBS-C or D. I am IBS-C and if I use too much bread-like, white carb food stuffs - before/with my vegetables at a meal, my system will literally stop up, slow down (great if I were IBS-D)and ferment from the inside, causing all sorts of gas (i.e. larger clothes sizes than I usually take and awful discomfort). If I stick with soluble fiber like peas, sweet potatoes, bananas and the like (along with a protein usually), I am better off than loading up on white bread and white rice and veggies at the same time. My system is very sensitive, but I was able to help my digestion with GS-Similase. I had to start with 1 pill at one of my meals a day and worked up to 1 pill with all of my meals every day. I did this over several days. If you try it, start slowly if your system is sensitive and stick with it, in the long run it should help with the fermentation and gas.

what is GS-Similase new
      #295483 - 01/07/07 08:11 AM
Jordy

You never eat rice or bread, pasta or white potatoes?
Do you take an SFS?

I can't fit into any of my clothes either....just because of the bloat. It is so depressing. I'm not fat...just bloated!

--------------------

Re: what is GS-Similase new
      #295506 - 01/07/07 12:44 PM
Rissa

Hi! GS-Similase is a plant based digestive enzyme that is well tolerated by sensitive systems. This was a suggestion I took from a book by Dr. Sherry Rogers called "No More Heartburn". My system is very sensitive so I proceeded slowly with one capsule at one of my meals per day. There was definitely something working after I took it, but I very slowly started to work one capsule in before every meal over a period of at least a week. It does help.
In answer to your question about white breads, rice and SFS,
I don't want to freak you out, but I will give you an idea of what I eat in a day:
Breakfast I have Kashi GO-Lean with 2 TBSP. of ground flax seed with raw goats milk (I tolerate raw goats milk very well as it is digested by the human system within 20 minutes of drinking whereas cows milk takes a minimum of 2 hours.). There is still the mucus thing to worry about, but I have the goats milk with a meal not gulping copious amounts by itself. It works well. ( I also keep track of my systems acidity or alkalinity as if I am too acid my IBS is out of control ... goats milk is more alkaline).
Mid morning I have a ripe banana (very alkaline).
Lunch I have steamed broccoli with brown rice, garlic powder or parmesan cheese (tolerated a little better by lactose intolerant people) and some lean protein.
Mid day snack I usually have lets say, oatmeal plain with an egg white cooked in it, sweetened with stevia or honey (both alkaline) or possibly an apple if I don't think it will create air.
Dinner is usually a lean protein and 2 vegetables.
Desert can vary from apple crisp to a piece of chocolate.
I find that if I consume white breads, white rice on a regular basis my system will slow to a stop and a wicked fermentation process starts and then bloating starts. I occasionally will have half a baked potato or a little fried potato or if I'm out I will have a slice of bread. Not on a regular basis. The only "starch" I can eat on a regular basis is brown rice.
I used to take Citrucel until my Aunt who is an RN told me about a friend of hers who used a similar product for years and had to have surgery to remove the ball of product that had accumulated and not passed through her system. I now use ground flax seed. I purchased some acacia, but have not started it .... but when I do, it will be very slowly. Right now I'm just treading water so to speak.
I hope this is helpful. Please also note, I am VERY active and drink a lot of liquids and have to say it helps, too.

#295507 - 01/07/07 12:51 PM
Jordy

Thank you for the detailed menu idea! Wow! I can't believe you can eat that way and not be in total pain. Very cool!

Where do you buy this GS Similase? Is this the brand name or does a company make it? I have a very sensitive body too! I already take digestive enzymes, but still get gas and bloat.

Good luck with the Acacia. I hope it works differently for you than the citrucel. How will you be able to tell if you are not creating another "ball of fiber" in your body? It's still an SFS

--------------------

PS new
      #295509 - 01/07/07 12:56 PM
Jordy

What kind of exercise do you do? And how did you figure out this diet worked for you? Did you experiment with different diets or read about it somewhere?

Maybe you could eat sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet or something besides the brown rice.

--------------------

#295523 - 01/07/07 01:36 PM
Rissa

Hi! This diet has taken me years to figure out. YEARS. GS-Similase can be purchased from Needs.com. This company is a fabulous group of people to order from - dieticians on staff, even.
I did not have any problem with the Citrucel, myself, it was a friend of my Aunts that had to have the ball of fiber removed.
This diet is through a lot of trial and error, changes a little at a time. I do take supplements also. My system tells me (Oh and does it tell me:) almost within 24 hours if I've blown it or not!
I run/walk for an hour every morning cross country with my three dogs. Then I have a minimum every morning of an hour and a half of farm chores and then another hour and a half at night every day.
Vigorous activity is best for IBS-C. My gas pains at one time cost me my job as a legal secretary. I could not sit at my desk, I had to lay down as the pain was so great.
Interesting, the attorney I worked for said I could probably go on disability for IBS (I didn't though). If people don't have IBS, they have NO CLUE what it is like to live with every day.

Re: PS new
      #295526 - 01/07/07 01:41 PM
Rissa

I can use quinoa, millet, etc. They are very tolerable.
I have to add that if your digestive enzyme has HCL in it, then that could very well be helping to cause the gas. I cannot tolerate HCL because I tend to be acidic anyway.

I do read and study about digestive disorders quite a bit. I have tried several ideas and that is how I came up with my diet.
I hope this has been helpful:)

#295633 - 01/08/07 02:39 PM
Lisa Marie

I've had IBS for about 4-5 years and yes, I'm talking about the IBS 100 Audio program. I think you're misunderstanding the point of the hypnosis. Yes, it's great for treating anxiety and stress, but it also teaches you, subconsciously, how to control your GI system. Gas is certainly caused by eating the wrong foods (I take Beano with most meals), but you can learn, through hypnosis, to significantly reduce or eliminate gas. Check out the "Hypnosis for IBS" link on the left and give it a shot! I just started my second round with the program last night.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review