All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
weight gain
      #294849 - 12/29/06 07:33 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I was 60lb over weight when I started Heather's diet, about a month ago. Since then, I have gained 15 more lbs. Before going on Heather's diet, I had lost 50lbs on the Atkins diet. I am concerned that the high carb diet is causing the weight gain. I've kept track of my daily calories, and I'm eating less total calories than when I was on the Atkins diet and according to the experts, the righ number of calories to be losing weight. What's happening?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight gain new
      #294851 - 12/29/06 08:44 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Going off Atkins frequently causes rebound weight gain -- it's happened to everyone I know who has tried it. Likely your body just needs time to readjust to eating a more balanced diet. I of course say that without a medical license of any sort!

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#294856 - 12/29/06 09:16 AM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Are you exercising? You have to keep your heart rate at a high enough pace for 30 mins in order to burn any fat. If you aren't exercising, begin by walking moderately for 15 mins and gradually work up to 45 mins 5X week. I know I gain weight when I don't exercise consistently. Also, you should be eating a bit of protein with every meal...including breakfast. This helps to burn fat and keeps you fuller longer.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#294883 - 12/29/06 02:23 PM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

Yes, I am exercising. I jog 3 miles 3x a week and lift weights 2x a week. I have also taken my measurements, as this is usually a better way to track. My wais measurement has gone up a couple inches.

#294885 - 12/29/06 02:38 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Maybe it's not the 'calories' you are eating, but the 'type' of food you are eating. Lower 'fat' often means more 'sugar' (ex:grains, pasta)and that may be what is putting on the pounds. Are you eating more grains, processed foods than before? These may be making you fat, not the "fat" calories.

#294893 - 12/29/06 05:05 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Have you been checked for hypothyroidism? That can cause weight gain. Are you fatigued at all?
Hormones can also play a part in weight gain, as you probably already know. Sometimes also the mere combinations of food can cause weight to fluctuate...and store insulin (fat). Good to hear you're jogging consistently. I used to love to run, but my knees prefer the elliptical or walking! Good Luck!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#294897 - 12/29/06 07:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I lost 12 pounds when starting the Heather diet and so it cannot be blamed for weight loss or gain. It is versatile and can be adapted for both. The diet can be based on lower calorie soluble fiber foods like root veggies such as carrots and egg beaters with mushrooms and spinach. Also lean deli turkey is great to incorporate. Keep trying to find your own solution.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#295782 - 01/09/07 02:49 PM
Dave K

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Brooklin, ON

Strange,
Heather's diet is the only one that has worked for me. I lost 20 lbs on South Beach - which hurt so bad (IBS-D) but quickly gained 35 back. Following Heather's Diet I went from 190 to 140 in a few months (50+ lbs) and have kept it off for a year. Just my story.

--------------------
Dave IBS-D

#295785 - 01/09/07 03:24 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I really believe that people have different body types and where one is very successful with the carbs (breads and pastas) in this diet, others may not be. These people need to focus their choices of SF foods from the different vegetables and grains that are available instead of breads and pastas.

#297830 - 01/24/07 12:13 AM
CafeRenae

Reged: 01/23/07

I am at a dilemma too. Dr. sent me to a cardiologist..I went for blood pressure problems he from the moment he looked at me starting pushing only Atkins diet. He said my colitis/IBS was an excuse. He actually had a nurse call to see if I am doing Atkins today. He told me I failed Heathers plan because I wasnt thinner yet. My head is spinning. I know I have to find a balance, possibly a new doc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 966 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review