All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
my christmas kidney stone
      #294747 - 12/27/06 07:57 PM
alexisb

Reged: 12/10/06

Me again.. the holidays went well as far as IBS goes, but i woke up christmas morning with excruciating pain in my belly button and back just below my shoulder blade and severe nausea. To spare my family the worry, i dealt with the pain and waited til the next day to go to the dr.- exam and urine tests found blood and white blood cells indicating infection.

Doc says its probably kidney stones causing a kidney infection. They say they dont really know what causes kidney stones could be many things as far as caffeine, carbonation, not drinking enough water etc. I havent drank caffeine or carbonation in several months and drink alot of water. I was wondering if maybe anyone here had any input? my crazy non-ibs husband has been paranoid about me taking my beloved acacia (which has only been about 2 wks now, pretty stable on 1tsp) and insists that that might have something to do with it. I doubt it, dont see how it could but just thought i would ask for some opinions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my christmas kidney stone new
      #294749 - 12/27/06 08:03 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I don't think that the Acacia fiber is to blame. I'm curious though, is your doctor saying "It's probably this..." and assuming or is he running any tests to confirm a diagnosis?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#294750 - 12/27/06 08:09 PM
ML

Reged: 11/03/06

I have had kidney stones twice and we still don't know what caused them. They can be caused by your body's inability to absorb calcium along with the other factors you listed. The tendency to develop stones can be hereditary also. My father has had them several times so I guess that is one of the legacys he gave me. Thanks Dad! Good luck with things. I'd rather have a baby than a kidney stone. Less pain and something to show for it at the end.

#294753 - 12/27/06 08:52 PM
alexisb

Reged: 12/10/06

My dad also gets them all the time too.
Nope, no real tests, other than saying oh blood and WBC's so probably kidney infection and the area of the pain means kidneys so heres some antibiotic for the infection and if the pain gets worse go to the ER to get an ultrasound!!
My stepdad had leftover painkillers from a recent surgery, so i just took 1/4 of his pill to get me through yesterday, today had some pain in the back but couldnt take painkillers at work so i dealt with it. the pain is tolerable at the point.. next time i think i will skip the dr and just go to er and hope they do more testing!

#294760 - 12/27/06 10:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Acacia most likely has nothing to do with it. The only reason I'm not saying "definitely" is because I'm not a doctor. LOL!

The tendency to develop kidney stones, at least to my experience (my boyfriend gets them), seems to be mostly hereditary. Once you get them, you can help things by making sure to drink LOTS of water - at least a half ounce per pound of body weight, not the old "8 glasses a day" guideline.

From what I can tell, stones are miserable. I hope you're feeling better!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3953 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1248

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review