All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Question: What Cereals Do You Eat/syl/lucky charms new
      #294707 - 12/27/06 02:28 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

All I wanted to know was if lucky charms in Canada have HFCS, why would I post all the ingredients if all I wanted to know was if yours had HFCS? That was all I wanted to know. I didn't want to know all the ingredients

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question: What Cereals/Lucky Charms/Snorkie new
      #294708 - 12/27/06 02:31 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I read and re-read, and didn't see any.....but at least I know the cheaper ones taste just as good!!! Now I won't have to find a Big Lots to get cheap name brand cereal. Yeah!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: Question: What Cereals Do You Eat new
      #294754 - 12/27/06 09:08 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Just a note about Rice Krispies. These may be fine for you, but they do contain HFCS. The organic version does not.

Re: Question: What Cereals Do You Eat new
      #294767 - 12/28/06 07:46 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

On workdays, mostly oatmeal (old-fashioned oats) with cinnamon and chopped walnuts or almonds. Sometimes a bagel with soy cream cheese.

On the weekends: pancakes, or maybe egg whites with toast and margarine (Smart Balance Light).

I'm not a good one to give advice on cereals... I seem to tolerate my favorites well, and they probably aren't ones considered generally safe. Notably, I often I eat cereal at dinner, rather than breakfast...it could be they are easier to tolerate after a day of eating other things and taking my SFS.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Re: HFCS,etc. new
      #294793 - 12/28/06 02:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yea - fructose - the trigger in HFCS is interesting. In large enough amounts it produces IBS-like symptoms in almost everyone. The measured range of tolerance is quite wide. It ranges from below 5 grams (a bit more than a teaspoon) to more than 50 grams. The average soft drink contains 20-30 grams of HFCS.

The amount of HFCS in most cereals and sauces is probably not a problem for a large part of the IBS population. There is probably less than a teaspoon of HFCS in most single servings. On the other hand HFCS and carbonation in soft drinks are a problem for very many IBS suffers. Personally I can drink carbonated water with no difficulty but I cannot handle 1 gram of fructose in a single dose.

I find it interesting how wide the tolerances of individuals on this board are to the various triggers. Some of the foods that some stable people eat would put me in the hospital. On the other hand my tolerance for other triggers is higher. IBS seems like an endless balancing act

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

my cereals new
      #295488 - 01/07/07 08:46 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i like slightly odd cereals from the HFS, i eat natures path millet rice oat flakes with bananas and rice milk, perky's brand nutty rice or flax(made with sorghum flour) natures path makes a wide variety of flaked cereals with all different grains etc. i also love oatmeal, barley flakes, etc prepared the same as oatmeal. always with fruit (bananas, blueberries, mango, strawberries etc and hemp muts, rice or almond milk.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1410 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review