All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
More confused then ever.....Night attacks, worse while eating better?
      #294486 - 12/23/06 02:01 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Long before I found this board, I was diagnosed with IBS, but I have suffered from it most of my life. I do recall a time when I was on Prozac and had gained about 20 pounds and eat just about anything I wanted and went months and months without an attack, but yes eventually it caught up with me, but I don't understand how someone can go months and months without an attack, eating everything and anything they want, only taking prozac and levsin, no SFS, drinking pop, coffee, etc. at the time, and now that I'm trying faithfully to be good with my eating, using SFS, leaning of people on this board for help, eating healthier then I ever have, consuming more SF then I ever have (with little bit of IF), taking my anti-spasmodic and my stomach cannot go back 27 days without an enormous attack. The 27 days has only been since I started Heather's diet.....I know it works, or we all wouldn't be here, but I don't understand why I have gotten worse since my eating habits are better.....I have tried the prozac again, and it did not help the last two times I tired it, actually it made me a spastic mess, which I also don't understand.....and I did read that IBS was supposed to get better as you get older.
One thing I wondered with anyone's attacks, do any of you have them at night after you have gone to bed? 90% of mine are after I have gone to bed.....this puzzles my doctor and if you look the the symptoms of IBS it is not a typical time to have an attack, but the gut=wrenching, unGodly pain, usually wakes me out of a sound sleep. Last night I had another one, I went to sleep about 10 and at 11:00, I started having the labor pains off and on for 2 1/2 hours before I exploded........This is how it has always been. Should I super sedate myself when I go to bed so that I'm completely calm, I don't understand the night time attack thing. I have gotten them during the day and just after eating, but usually at night. Any help or comments would help. Thanks and sorry so long......

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: More confused then ever.....Night attacks, worse while eating better? new
      #294493 - 12/23/06 06:58 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Oh, sweetie. It sounds like you're having such an awful time. I'm not really sure what to tell you. But I'm wondering about the 27 days. Do you generally go about that long between attacks or is the amount of time between attacks more random? Have you been tested for allergies? The night time attacks don't happen to me, as a rule. But it has happened on rare occasion. I personally wouldn't sedate myself because I'd want to be able to get to the bathroom in a hurry when needed. Have you tried hypnosis? Listening to it at bedtime should help to relax your body and it creates a more restful sleep for most people. I wish I had the answer for you. Don't give up. It can take quite a while to stabilize. But it certainly can be done.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: More confused then ever.....hohoyumyum new
      #294505 - 12/24/06 06:33 AM
LtDanFan

The longest I have gone between attacks is 27 days and it is very ramdom!! I may go a week, two days, etc. In my attack diary, it did look like I would usually get a really bad one around my period.....I know hormones are tide in with the IBS, so now that I've just had surgery and won't be having periods, I was hoping that would help, but they left my ovaries, Hormones! After surgery which was just the 15th, my first BM, was horrid and terrible, terrible colon cramps to where I was screaming, then I had one again two days later, and had the 2 1/2 hours of colon spasm, after taking a levsin, elavil, drinking peppermint tea and laying with theheating pad on my tummy....again this was at night. I did take colace which was suggested after the surgery to soften things up a bit and both days I had the cramping I took a colace?? I thought it was supposed to be gentle, so I'm not going to take it anymore, just in case that was the culperate. I have been tested for gluten, and some other stuff, which were all negative. All three colonoscopies show spasm in my ascending, transverse and descending colon, with the descending being the worse! My gi guy before the one I have now said he had never seen anyone's colon completely close like mine did and it's the exact spot I have the unGodly pain when I have an attack. He said he had to blow so much air into my colon to get that particular section to open, just so he could finish!!! So we know where the biggest problem is, but there doesn't seem to be anything they can do about it....
Thanks for the reply!!! I will be recuperating for another 5 weeks, so hopefully I can stabilize during this time.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#294523 - 12/24/06 12:31 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm very confused, too. Hopefully after you're fully recovered from surgery your body will calm down some. I'm sure that your body is responding to having to go through surgery and that's probably making things a lot worse. I think that is pretty typical. Well, get lots of rest and let your body heal and then see what happens, I guess. It seems like a lot of people experience changes in the way their body functions after having surgery, so who knows, maybe things will improve.

I used to have terrible attacks during the week of my period but I finally found a BC that has gotten rid of that. Levora is the name of it.

Other than that, if you just need to vent, my e-mail is in my profile. I'm afraid I won't be much help but I can at least offer you my ear. I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm sending hugs and well wishes your way.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#294530 - 12/24/06 01:20 PM
LtDanFan

thanks yoyo I put your e-mail in my address book, just incase!! In the subject line I'll put I'm from this board, so you'll know it's me...

Thanks

--------------------

Re: More confused then ever.....Night attacks, worse while eating better? new
      #294622 - 12/26/06 09:02 PM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

Your post is similar to my experiences. I'm usually awakened by pains 1, 2 in the morning. And then am awake in the bath room for another two hours. I'm not sure why I have the night issues either - but I have been taking the acacia (which has helped tremendously) and I generally stick to the diet - (sometimes I cheat though). I tend to do that when I'm off from work for a week ...

Try some fennel tea or a red herbal tea that generally helps me. Good Luck.

Re: More confused then ever.....Night attacks, for dhaggerty new
      #294637 - 12/27/06 06:57 AM
LtDanFan

Thank God, someone who is like me.......I used citrucel and acacia, I drink a lot of fennel and peppermint tea, more peppermint lately!!! Cause the pain is worse. Do you take any RX"S anti-spasmodics or anxiety or depression meds, if you don't mind me asking? How long have you had these attacks? If you are like me the worst part of the nightly attacks, is that your sleeping so soundly then awakened by this awful cramping pain which may continue for hours before you blow, then you up several times during the night and by the time it's time to get some rest, it's just about time to get up and then you HAVE to go to work, on like three hours sleep because NO ONE understand when you have to call in and say you had an IBS attack two or three times a week.........so tired of this.

--------------------

Re: More confused then ever.....Night attacks, for dhaggerty new
      #294844 - 12/29/06 06:39 AM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

It started about 5 years ago, and I thought it was a "one off" experience until it started happening regularly. I remember one night in particular - I was dating my current husband and woke up at 2am, excruciating pain, and knew immediately that I had to get out of there and go home. Which I did, he was all confused and worried.

Somehow even today after getting on the acacia and really watching my diet, I still have these night attacks, I'd say at least once a week, but it's better than almost every nite.

Actually I do have an agreement with my boss, that if I have any issues resulting from IBS (he knows) I always take my laptop home and can call in and ask to work from home, which he will generally accommodate. I manage a compensation and HRIS function, so it's not too bad of a deal.

I try not to eat after 6pm, and if I do, it's a banana or something soluable.

If you'd like to e-mail me, please feel free. (dhaggerty723@yahoo.com) I hope you feel better soon!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review