All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peppermint caps
      #294385 - 12/22/06 09:37 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

There are so many posts about these, I was hoping to get a basic, direct answer. I'm IBS-D but the more I think about it and at least how I'm feeling now, I'm probably IBS-A (but when it's d....it's bad!...not anymore though). So I don't take anything with peppermint. I despise tea so the peppermint tea would definitely be out, but I could try the peppermint capsules. I should mention that I have GERD which hasn't bothered me so much with heartburn, but rather nausea instead so I know Heather says to be careful with peppermint.

When would I take peppermint capsules...before meals or during an attack? I'm feeling pretty decent right now on a daily basis (more c though...don't go for days, then have some d or discomfort with multiple bms..need to get more IF I think, I'm going to start drinking more water...and who has had time for exercise this month!!!??)

Anyhow, I don't want to buy the capsules online (as I just spent a fortune on the hypno CDs!) but I was wondering if I should try some Altoids so it's not a big deal if I buy a small pack and they don't work or give me heartburn (my husband could always eat them). Do they really make a big difference...and if so, more preventative, or just take when you are having a rough day? Also, how much, and I read somewhere swallowing them whole? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peppermint caps new
      #294386 - 12/22/06 09:41 AM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I bought the peppermint caps with the CDs, actually. I've only taken them a few times -- I have GERD, too, and have tried to be cautious. Like you, my GERD showed up more as nausea than as heartburn. They do help settle my stomach when I've had a slightly larger meal than normal (so they're great to have at the holidays!)

I think that the big difference is that with the capsules, you're swallowing them and they make it further into your system than the altoids would. Altoids cause me some heartburn. The capsules give me a bit of peppermint reflux when taken on an empty stomach, though.

I don't know if that helps, but that's my experience so far.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Thanks. Do you take them before or after those larger meals? n/t new
      #294388 - 12/22/06 10:10 AM
line415

--------------------

Re: Thanks. Do you take them before or after those larger meals? n/t new
      #294398 - 12/22/06 01:02 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

After. I know the bottle says before, but that's when I have the minty reflux.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Re: peppermint caps new
      #294408 - 12/22/06 03:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Try to find peppermint capsules that are enteric coated - I think Heather's are, but you may be able to find some in a store local to you. Enteric capsules break down further along in the digestive system, and are less likely to cause GERD problems.

Re: Thanks. Do you take them before or after those larger meals? n/t new
      #294413 - 12/22/06 03:40 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have GERD really bad and take prevacid for it, and usually when needed not everyday, but I only burp the peppermint from Heather's caps very rarely, and it's not bothersome, my heartburn from a banana or oatmeal is worse. It's worth the comfort they give me. I have swallowed an altoid whole and I also add one or two to peppermint tea when I make it......it make a great cup of pepperminty tea. I am surprised the peppermint doesnt bother me as much as it's suggested, I have a worse time with cinnamon and heartburn. I take the caps when my tummy feels uneasy or like I may have an attack and I always take one right before bed to hopefully head off an attack during the night. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Thanks all. Maybe I'll start with a few altoids or local store peppermint capsules. N/T new
      #294422 - 12/22/06 05:10 PM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1083 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 757

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review