All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Special Request for IBSers -D/Awith pain
      #294320 - 12/21/06 03:20 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

So it's not all over the message board, I was wondering if those of you who would care to share with me, that are IBS-A, but mostly D with extreme pain, to e-mail me privately and explain to me how you have become stable. Atomic Rose I noticeed you have been stable since july 05....I'm just trying to get some ideas, and hope for my stability. I have yet to be stable for longer than 27 days at the longest. I'd like to know meds, what you eat, what are your safe foods, fiber you take, etc. Please help if you can!! Thanks

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

about being stable...response and question new
      #294332 - 12/21/06 05:51 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm not stable but I would say 27 days of being stable is very good! What happened after those days...did you have an attack but then go back to being stable again? If you do a search on stabalizing, or "what does it mean to be stable?", you'll see that different people see it differently. I think some still have an occassional attack but it seems that most report their recovery time is shorter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And while we're discussing it, how many days/months should go by without an attack before calling yourself stable? Or do attacks matter b/c I haven't had too many attacks but I have had some rocky days which indicates to me that I am not yet stable.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: about being stable...response and question new
      #294334 - 12/21/06 05:57 PM
LtDanFan

When I see someone post they have been stable for months or even years I get jealous!!! 27 days is a great start, but I have never made it past that mark, nor is it 27 days every month. So I do say I'm stable for 27 days, but that may happen every 4 months......then I'm having attacks daily. After being stable that long, I usually have massive cramping and D for days, then stablize for a week or so, then back to the cramping and D......I just never can figure it out. I guess I'd like to make it at least a few months IN A ROW with an attack and feel stable.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: about being stable...response and question new
      #294336 - 12/21/06 06:14 PM
line415

That's an interesting pattern. Maybe someone else can comment. Do you think the fact that you've had an attack again causes you anxiety about the IBS again which causes your attacks to start up again? I know that would be me in a nutshell. Even now with a set-back, I start to get panicked/anxious again. I started hypno...have you done it? No changes yet, early on, but I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

Re: Special Request for IBSers -D/Awith pain new
      #294341 - 12/21/06 06:52 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would like to send you an email but I can't find your email address! I'm IBS-D and stable, but can relate to the IBS-A tendency to D from taking Imodium, and definetly have some tips.

Anyways, just let me know your email, I think you can send me a private message if you don't wish to disclose the email address on here.

--------------------
Kat

I'm going to reply here... new
      #294362 - 12/22/06 05:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...because I'm too lazy to look for an email. LOL!

Two things got me stable:

1. Going on prescription medication for my anxiety problems. I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again: diet is extremely important, but food isn't the only issue for a lot of IBS'ers... if you have ongoing anxiety/stress/depression problems, and you don't treat that underlying issue, you're probably going to continue to be sick. Medication isn't always the answer, but for me, it was - in my case, I have problems that I've had since I was a child, and I will be on this medication for the rest of my life. Milder cases can be treated with a whole range of things, ranging from exercise and meditation to hypno and therapy.

2. I followed Heather's diet strictly, NO cheats... and when I say "strictly", I also mean that as soon as I started showing signs of improvement, I started adding insoluble foods back in. Weirdly enough, even though I'm mostly a D, I find that I'm most stable if I eat IF foods as the majority of my diet. Now, everyone's different, and that's something I worked up to very slowly, over the course of almost a year, but it's something to consider. You might not have found your "balance" of SF and IF yet. It does take time.

Other than that, I can't think of anything in particular that I've done. I did take a SF supplement (FiberChoice, 8g daily) for a long time, although I've since stopped because I can't afford it. I've never been on any prescriptions for my IBS symptoms. I occasionally took Imodium if the D was really bad, but that's about it. I *did* practically live on peppermint tea for a while, as it was the only thing I found that helped the spasms... I still keep it on hand for bad days.

Oh yeah, and although I consider myself stable, I DO still have bad days. In a lot of cases, they're period-related, and I consider those unavoidable. I used to be so sick that I couldn't even get out of bed, for weeks on end... I figure I can handle one bad day a month now.

I hope that helps a little... if you have any specific questions, ask. I'll be around on and off today.

Kat/K2 *DELETED* new
      #294371 - 12/22/06 07:02 AM
LtDanFan

Post deleted by LtDanFan

--------------------

Re: Kat/K2 new
      #294381 - 12/22/06 08:27 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry for that I was looking for how to set up to receive PMs and I'm still not sure. I think I will post here since others have requested (Double J).

I stabilized last year after New Years (finally a new years resolution that worked!). I stabilized on diet and Acacia alone. I only added in peppermint caps, Beano, Imodium and other stuff later on. The reason for this is I wanted to know what foods I could handle. So I started with the Break The Cycle diet of only safe SF foods (banana, rice, white bread, applesauce, carrots, white pasta). After a couple days I added in plain chicken breast. Then every couple days I would add in a new IF in the safest way possible, and tested out how I did with it. I will say this, I did start on Heather's diet well before New years, noticed slight improvement but not much. I still had the sporadic attacks that didn't seem related to which foods I ate. I credit the BTC diet and cutting ALL triggers for really getting me on track to being stable.

After a month I had a pretty basic, plain, but safe diet. I want to stress here the no cheating. If you eat trigger foods it can set your stomach off and then it is even harder to figure out what foods are really affecting you. During this month I did not have perfect BMs, no attacks or pain. However, I noticed a huge improvement both in intensity of attacks and length of duration.

I started travelling again about 2 months into it. I also started really trying to expand my diet and start eating more fat and IF. So during this time, I started expermenting with other products such as Imodium, Beano, peppermint caps, calcium, etc.

I now take 2tbsp Acacia per day, Imodium when needed (if I have an attack, or 2 or more BMs a day), Beano with gassy foods, and a probiotic. I'm starting the hypno tapes as well. I do take peppermint caps with dinners sometimes, but ran out recently and haven't remembered to order some more. I used to take a calcium supplement with magnesium, but recently switched to Caltrate. I have to say, even with all these products, the basis of my being stable is still absolutely Heather's diet.

I have a few suggestions for the IBS-A, being backed up a couple days and fearing for the next BM since it could be a D attack. It's important to eat really safely when you haven't gone in a few days. Incorporate more IF in small amounts at each meal, peeled, purreed, cooked soft. Drink lots and lots of water. Also, exercise will really help get things moving even if it's just doing some situps or going for a walk. The goal is to 'ease' out the next BM. Eating any triggers, too much IF without a good enough base of SF, or not drinking enough water could result in a more painful BM or attack. Also, stressing about it could have the same effect.

I agree with Casey, you must get other conditions that mght affect your IBS under control first. In my case, I had to deal with my periods. If I hadn't dealt with that, the anxiety I had and meds I used to deal with my periods would have continued to affect my IBS. If you have other medical problems, anxiety, OCD, depression, anything that may affect your IBS, try to find a good solution to that.

For me, being stable means that if I eat safely I will not have an attack related to food. I may have my bad days due to stress or lack of sleep, but I recover much quicker than before. I will have an attack from eating triggers, too much IF or fat, but once again I recover quicker. I probably do still have an attack about once a month, but to me that's pretty normal. I see normal people having upset stomachs that often, so I don't worry about it. Most days I don't have symptoms like cramping, gas or pain. I think being stable is once you get to a point where your IBS doesn't affect your everyday life.

--------------------
Kat

Great information from all...anyone else, please add. It helped me too! n/t new
      #294384 - 12/22/06 09:25 AM
line415

--------------------

Slightly off-topic... (private messages) new
      #294395 - 12/22/06 11:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Heather's disabled that function on the boards - so don't worry, it's not you not being able to figure it out - nobody can send or receive private messages!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3923 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2987

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review