All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS recipes and acid reflux
      #29431 - 11/30/03 12:46 PM
gloworm49

Reged: 06/03/03
Loc: New London, Connecticut

I am new to the boards and have been looking for information and recipes that do not compromise my acid reflux and my IBS. I have read Heather's books and note that the recipes I would like to try incorporate reflux triggers such as tomatoes. How do I introduce more insoluble fiber in my diet with these dietary issues. Also, since I have lactose intolerance, reflux, and IBS I am baffled as to how I alter these recipes without causing an IBS flare-up. Finally, I have no problem with ginger tea which I understand is a no-no with acid reflux, as is calcium which I must take as I have osteoporosis. Is calcium absorption hindered if you have acid reflux? Help from anyone reading this would be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS recipes and acid reflux new
      #29434 - 11/30/03 01:06 PM
AnnC

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: NY, USA

I am in the same position. I am trying to find ways to eat that accomodate my IBS, GERD and vegetarianism. I feel like I am eating the same things day in and day out and nutritionally I feel like I am a million miles away from a balanced diet.

ann

#29439 - 11/30/03 03:45 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Try making soups or pasta sauces from pureed veggies. Also, you can always have a side of steamed veggies. For example, fish, rice, and steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots & peas - whatever. Sometimes I have steamed yellow squash or zuccini, but I'll half peel the skin to get a little insoluble in since the squash is soluble fiber anyway. Try the pureed bean dips with some baked corn chips.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if I looked through the book or the recipe exchange index, I'm sure I'd find more options. What specific recipe are you looking at in the book? Maybe we can help you figure out a modification to the recipe for your reflux?

Sorry - I don't know anything about the calcium and acid reflux absorption. Hopefully Heather or someone else will have more info for you on that.

#29440 - 11/30/03 03:49 PM
*Melissa*

Hi ann - are you vegan? Just trying to think of some options for you!

#29441 - 11/30/03 03:58 PM
AnnC

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: NY, USA

Not vegan by title but can't do dairy due to my IBS and lactose intollerance but I don't really eat eggs - they kind of freak me out a bit - I do eat things with eggs in them such asbaked goods (well I did before I changed my diet for IBS reasons).

I feel like all I eat is bread, vegie patties, bananas and cooked carrots, some plain rice and plain pasta but it seems so boring.

I'd love any suggestions you might have. I do have Heather's book but so far have only tried a couple recipes.

ann

#29450 - 11/30/03 06:17 PM
*Melissa*

I guess you are kind of limited being vegetarian - I'm looking through the book now, and it seems like mostly everything has fish, shrimp, or chicken. Which recipes did you try so far from EFI? Did you try all the vegetarian ones listed?

Have you ever played around with pizzas? You don't have to use tomato sauce on them. I make mine with roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts (from the jar), and a few chopped black olives, sprinkled with a few seasonings (basils, garlic, etc.) I just use a little of the juice from the artichokes to kind of moisten the crust a little instead of using sauce. Actually, I got that idea from a pasta dish for roasted red peppers, artichokes, and black olives - another from the Med Diet. Another good one is the asparagus & lemon pasta from The First Year.

Have you checked on the recipe exchange? There are some soups. One I did for broccoli leek - that one's good. You could probably just use veggie broth instead of chicken. Or there was pumpkin or corn chowder.

I'm wondering how the Thai-Fried Rice from EFI would be without the shrimp. I guess you could leave out the fish sauce too - does fish sauch have fish in it? It sure smells like it! lol Would using egg whites in something like that freak you out? You can still use egg white for baking, or did you just used to buy the baked goods already prepared so you didn't have to deal with the eggs? Don't they have egg replacements that don't use eggs at all?

Sorry, guess I'm kind of rambling! Does any of this give you any ideas?

BTW: If anything I've listed would be bad for your GERD, let me know. For example, I wasn't sure of the asapragus & lemon pasta. It only uses the zest, not the juice, if that matters?

#29459 - 12/01/03 03:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey guys...just some quick thoughts.

Try the Butternut squash pasta sauce. This is great and really soothing for GERDs. Also, you could make lots and freeze it in batches to have later.

Also, mushroom risotto is the safest food I know. See the Recipe board.

Can you get Quorn where you live? I use this all the time to replace the chicken in recipes.

Avocadoes are great. I have these as snacks, starters (try sprinkling them with a little salt) and sliced in sandwiches.

Can you have mayo? I use the low-cal stuff and this is a great GERDs-safe sauce. Have it with pasta or in sarnies.

I'll come back when I've thought more. Any extra ideas would sure be welcome.

Linz

#29644 - 12/01/03 08:09 PM
gloworm49

I totally agree with you. My diet does not seem to have much variety. I have been sticking with the root vegetables as they seem to cause the least problems. Beans and broccoli, my favorites, seem to cause excessive gas even in small portions. I need some serious dietary help.

#29646 - 12/01/03 08:19 PM
gloworm49

Thanks for your suggestions. I also have a problem with seafood--I am allergic to it, but I can eat fish. I like chicken as well, but my diet seems so limited and I am frankly bored with rice, pasta, papaya, bananas, applesauce, sourdough bread, and root vegetables. I need more variety but I do not know how to accomplish it without causing a flare-up. I have had only minor ones in the past six months since reading Heather's books. They usually last one day, and I do not want to risk a full blown one. Help!

#29720 - 12/02/03 12:25 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Do you take medicine for your acid reflux? I take Nexium and it has been a wonder drug for me. The only problem is December 15th my insurance will no longer cover my Nexium, so hopefully the other drugs work as well.

Even though I take medicine, I've found I can not eat trigger foods much past noon. That includes salads or anything acidic. When I snack before bed it usually is bread or preztels.

I believe Heather recently posted fresh tomatoes are fine to eat, but when you cook them the tomatoes become more acidic.

Even though I have been dx with GERD, I've found Heather's diet hasn't effected me that much. I avoid anything with peppermint (except her Peppermint Fudge Cake) and like you I do fine with ginger and can not eat seafood and fish.

Every few days try a new recipe from Heather's book and see how you do. Your new diet will be trial and error and if it makes you feel better we have all been there.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 975 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review