All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Members who are A or mostly D help please very desperate RX meds for IBS
      #294289 - 12/21/06 08:29 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I had posted I was having surgery and did, but besides the horrible IBS attack my first BM after surgery, I need to get some advice on what prescription meds you take to help eleviate the Un Godly colon pain and spasm.....Mine was so severe I was screaming and that was an hour and a half after taking my librax, which I have decided does not and has not worked for a long time, but have been in denial because I have tried bentyl, levsin, donnatol, but long ago. I am willing to try one of them again, but wanted to get an idea of who is taking which one and how well it works
I cannot live with the pain anymore. I am usually 90% of the time D and I knew I'd be a little C after the surgery, but did everything I could to help ease things along and the pain, OMG, I would actually live with the D, but not when I have the pain. I have yet to find another GI guy as mine just holds his chin and shakes his head when I tell him my problems and tells me I'm not like any other IBS person he has..duh..is anyone. My husband had some levsin and I started taking that yesterday, the one thing I remember about the bentyl, is it made my heart race and I'm a naturally hyper person anyway, I couldn't stand the heart racing. I would appreciate any feedback of RX meds. I have tried not taking any and my IBS is worse. I do use fennel tea, chamomile, the peppermint caps, SFS, and eat within the guidelines....
As for my surgery I am recovering slow but sure, but really did not want to deal with the IBS on top of the hysterectomy recovery pain......

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Members who are A or mostly D help please very desperate RX meds for IBS new
      #294299 - 12/21/06 09:45 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I never had much luck with anti-spasmodics. Have you tried an anti-anxiety med or benzodiazepene, something like lorazepam/Ativan? I know that several other people with D use it and so do I went I'm having a bad attack (maybe once a month; I also use it for panic attacks, again maybe only twice a month now). And it works - especially for my most painful attacks. I think since it's a tranquilizer, it (1) physically calms down the spasms in the colon and (2) mentally calms you down so that you're better able to deal with the pain. My doctor said that my reaction to the pain could be what's aggravating it. I'm also taking 10 mg amitriptyline (elavil) a night, mostly to help manage the pain from lupus, but it has also helped with IBS pain and symptoms. Using these medications, in addition to drinking peppermint and ginger teas and using heat patches have helped get me through my worst times. HTH!

Re: Members who are A or mostly D help please very desperate RX meds for IBS new
      #294305 - 12/21/06 11:09 AM
LtDanFan

Maria!Maria! I do have a prescription for both, I only took the elavil once and it seemed to make me more hyper, I was given it to sleep, but it made me a little anxious...go figure and I only took one of the ativan, and it did the same. I'm such a hard person to sedate. Both of these are supposed to make you calm and sleepy, but I don't sleep well as it is and I'm afraid to try them again, but maybe while I'm recovering from surgery, I could give them both a try. I just found a great article on IBS and it explained about the use of TCA's (tricyclic anti-cholinergics) and SSRI's (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) it said that the TCA's work best on IBS-D and the SSRI's best on IBS-C. I never knew this, it was studied and was a medical article. I had taken prozac in the past and it did work for a while, but it is an SSRI. It did suggest elavil, norpramin, adapin, sinequan, I didn't see Ativan, but I would think it is a TCS and not an SSRI. It was an interested article. I am so tired of this IBS I can express my frustration and I know I am not alone!! Is peppermint better for the colon spasm? or fennel? Thanks for the post!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Edited by LtDanFan (12/21/06 11:11 AM)

#294310 - 12/21/06 11:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Peppermint is definitely better for spasms... fennel is basically for gas, not pain.

I second the vote for an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication of some kind. Honestly, it might take a STRONG one. I'm on Lexapro 20mg and I have no doubts that I wouldn't be stable without it, because I'm naturally a very keyed-up (not hyper, but CRAZY tense and nervous) person. I actually still get D now and then, but not enough to think it's much of a big deal.

Atomic Rose new
      #294312 - 12/21/06 12:17 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks for the advice, I used to use peppermint tea a long time ago and someone told me to stop because of my GERD, but it never bothered my reflux......grrrr I used to make my own and used altoids. Also is lexapro for anxiety or depression or both? Is it an ssri? I've haven't heard good things about it and it scares me, but at this point I'm ready to try anything again. Do you take any antisposmodics? My biggest problem has always been the PAIN with the attacks, not as much the diarrhea. Thanks

--------------------

Re: Atomic Rose new
      #294391 - 12/22/06 10:34 AM
funmomof4

Reged: 12/22/06
Loc: California

LtDanFan,
I take Levsin (used to use Bentyl a loooong time ago but it stopped working). I also take Tramadol when I'm having moderate pain but last night I had a SEVERE attack of having to sit in a hot bath and coming close to passing out about 4 times for an hour and a half. I just stayed in the tub and had about 5 b.m.s - IN THE TUB praying the kids wouldn't find a way to open the door but also wondering if I DID pass out would I drown? At times like that you really wish for death! I had taken the Levsin and Tramadol about an hour prior to the attack and niether seemed to help. If anyone out there has any pain help - that'd be great! It usually doesn't affect my daily like but when those attacks come, it's hell! Also, my dr. gave me Xanax for anxiety/panic attacks 3 mos ago but I only took them once in a great while and now that the panic attacks are gone, I don't take the Xanax but I'm wondering if I should be taking it regularly and maybe that would help calm the nerves in the colon??

Re: Atomic Rose/funmomof4 new
      #294396 - 12/22/06 12:35 PM
LtDanFan

I completely understand the pain and It is the worst part of my IBS!! I have passed out before from the vaso-vagel reaction from the colon sucking all my blood from my heart, that is how I was explained how it works......I've had BM's on the floor while being passed out. I am hoping now since starting the levsin again trying the ativan and elavil at bedtime, my anxiousness with calm down and it will help my poor colon. However the meds make me so sleepy...........I can't imagine trying to work while taking these meds. I've seen people suggest taking a stong dose of motrin for pain, not.....that would kill my stomach!!! I do however if I can have someone fix me a cup of peppermint tea, immediately take a peppermint capsule and get the heating pad to put on my colon.....Oh the pain.......

--------------------

Re: Xanax new
      #294399 - 12/22/06 01:29 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

In the beginning, I also had episodes of such pain and D that I would pass out and have full panic attacks with each episode. I tried Paxil, which worked great except for all of the weight gain. I now take Bentyl twice a day for spasms and Xanax (1mg at night and .5mg in the morning) every day to keep my anxiety at bay. Now even when I have an attack, I don't get the panic, heart racing, cold sweat, severe pain like I did before. I think for me having Xanax everyday and being strict with my diet has been the key to my relative stability.

Christy

Atomic Rose/funmomof4/Sgical/LtDanFan new
      #294403 - 12/22/06 02:17 PM
funmomof4

Thank you all for your advice.........I've always been afraid to start taking the Xanax regularly in fear that I'll not be able to go off it........and also that my family will like me better on it!! Really though, I've never wanted MY personality altered but since I am high strung and often get too angry w/my kids and hubby then maybe the Xanax is the ticket!

Re: Atomic Rose/funmomof4/Sgical/LtDanFan new
      #294405 - 12/22/06 02:19 PM
funmomof4

SCIGAL...........sorry I spelled your name wrong!! Maybe the XANAX will help that too!

#294414 - 12/22/06 03:42 PM
LtDanFan

At this point I'm for anything that keeps my attacks at bay and if it's a natural herb or a prescription I don't care I'll take it as long as it works!!! So don't stress about the Xanax if it's doing the job. Whatever helps!!!

--------------------

#294451 - 12/23/06 06:55 AM
funmomof4

Thank you LtDanFan.....you're right. I actually called FocusOnTheFamily one day and said I felt if I was stronger emotionally then I shouldn't need the stuff and she said, So if a diabetic is stronger emotionally then she wouldn't need insulin????? True. It's just hard for me to not be able to just "push myself" though this like I do everything else.

Re: funmom new
      #294452 - 12/23/06 07:49 AM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

No worries on the name thing. After 35 years of a name that can be spelled about a dozen different ways, I am used to that. I totally agree with the focus on the family people. I had to come to terms with "needing medication to live my life", but realized that if I were diabetic or had high blood pressure I would take daily medication without a thought. It helped me get past my "shame" and do what I needed to in order to get back my life.

Christy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1052 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2376

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review