Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Please read the EFI dietary guidelines more thoroughly.... new
      #294158 - 12/19/06 01:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

EFI Guidelines

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Are grapes safe? -nt- new
      #294160 - 12/19/06 02:07 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The skins and seeds are IF and the pulp is SF.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

grapes new
      #294169 - 12/19/06 05:26 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Grapes are an IF fruit that can be eaten after SF. Personally grapes are my worst fruit. I also don't do well with drinking grape juice or wine. I get really sick all over instantly from grape wine but not from honey or rice wine. Grapes are the last fruit to try in my opinion. Stone fruits and citrus fruits are easier.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

No -nt- new
      #294181 - 12/20/06 12:20 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Re: Please read the EFI dietary guidelines more thoroughly.... new
      #294196 - 12/20/06 07:47 AM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

I have read the guidelines, as well as both of Heather's books. In fact I have been on the diet for over a year. However, as we all know some things on the safe or not safe list vary among different people. For example, even though apples are supposedly safe when they are peeled, I cannot handle them. Therefore, my question was intended to retrieve experiences from others who have tried grapes. Maybe I should have worded the question differently as to avoid condescending responses.

Is it possible? new
      #294199 - 12/20/06 08:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you cannot eat apples is possible that you are fructose intolerant? Can you eat pears and does HFCS bother you? What fruit can you eat with problems? Or do you think the IF in apples is too high for you?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Is it possible?
      #294202 - 12/20/06 08:19 AM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

I'm not sure. I cannot handle pears either. To tell you the truth, I steer clear of most fruits unless they are pureed in a smoothie (most often with strawberries and bananas). Bananas are the only fruit I can successfully eat in their original form. HFCS does not seem to be an issue. The IF could be an issue although I am able to handle other IF without difficulty. Its all a mystery...

Re: Please read the EFI dietary guidelines more thoroughly....
      #294204 - 12/20/06 08:24 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I eat grapes and do fine with them. I don't usually eat too many though, as it's usually just something I see on the counter and grab a few of. Try having a handful and see how you do.

I guess grapes are not on the 'safe' list, but they aren't not safe either. It's another fruit/IF thing that needs to be tried trial-and-error and see if you do ok with it. I would also not suggest eating a ton of them if you don't normally eat them, start out with just a few.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Please read the EFI dietary guidelines more thoroughly....
      #294210 - 12/20/06 09:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My problem with a question that asks "is something safe" is that to me "safe" means Soluble Fiber foods, so my reaction to your question would also have been to suggest you review the list of Soluble Fiber foods. How lucky for me that I was too weary to post such a response.

If what you want is feedback on how other people do with grapes it would indeed be clearer to word your question that way. Clarity is especially important if you plan to be unpleasant when people who are trying to help make an honest mistake because they respond to what it sounds like you're asking rather than to what you really want to know.

I do fine with grapes and RachelT's Almond Chicken Salad with grapes is one of my summer staples. In fact when I make the Salad I usually throw in far more grapes than it calls for.

Incidentally, as far as I know, peeled apples are not on the list of Soluble Fiber foods although applesauce is.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review